FJ62 Signal Generator Bad - Do I really have to buy new dizzy?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well my 88 FJ62 is dead right now. I've replaced the cap, rotor, wires all with OEM.

Still no spark from the ignition coil. I've checked the resistance on the coil and the primary is reading 0. Does that mean that I have a short in the coil and it's bad for sure?

I've also checked the resistance in the signal generator per the FSM and the readings are NOT within spec. Also the signal generator pick-ups are all black soft/mushy plastic.

So, it looks like the signal generator is shot too. Can I purchace a new signal generator and install it into my existing dizzy or do I have to buy an entire new one ($500++)?

I've search around the forums for a while and can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks,

Here are a couple photos.

As you can see the center rotor button is destroyed and no longer there.
08-20-07 055.jpg
08-20-07 059.jpg

That distributor looks nasty, I think you may have to replace it. Instead of new find a good used one which should be a lot less $$. IIRC a distributor from either a FJ62 or FJ80 (the one with the 3FE) will work.

I have had something similar happen, lost 2 distributors in the space of a year. Some sort of contaminant was being sucked into the cap through the in-cab filter and corroded the workings of the distributor. I disconnected the fresh air line at the firewall, routed it to the top of the firewall, and capped it with a cheap fuel filter. This setup has been working well now for years.

This condition is cause by poor cap ventilation.....hydrocarbon gasses from the crankcase lingering in the dizzy will destroy the plastic type components and promote rust.......yes, its time for a replacement, but also need to correct the venting problem or it will happen again.....

This condition is cause by poor cap ventilation.....hydrocarbon gasses from the crankcase lingering in the dizzy will destroy the plastic type components and promote rust.......yes, its time for a replacement, but also need to correct the venting problem or it will happen again.....

This helps to explain why I had dizzy problems. The engine had been out for a few weeks for a rebuild and the nipple of the in-cab filter was exposed. I suspect during this time the filter became plugged, perhaps from insect activity. Thus with a plugged filter, instead of clean air being pulled in, a hydrocarbon-rich gas mixture was sucked in leading to premature dizzy death.

You'd think Toyota would improve the replacement parts, knowing what craps them out.... but No! they be the same....:frown:

Thanks for the input. Does anyone have a pic of the correct ventilation for the distributor? I looked in the FSM and can't find a pic or diagram.

I'm looking at getting a good used dizzy, but don't want this to happen again.

Does the 3FE engine distributor really have vacuum lines attached to it? or is that just on the 2F?

Does the 3FE engine distributor really have vacuum lines attached to it? or is that just on the 2F?

Yes, the 3FE does have vacuum lines on the cap. The small hose goes to the vacuum ports on the air cleaner canister and the large hose goes to the firewall. By the way, X2 on the cause being poor ventilation. I've fought this battle before (3 dead distributors in 9 months) and my distributors looked identical. Fix the ventilation problem and you'll be in the clear.

Well I'm an idiot..........found the two vacuum hoses hanging down from the fire wall and the air filter attached to nothing. It was that way since I bought it about 6 years ago. Guess I'm lucky the distributor lasted that long.

Now I just have to decide if I'm going to spend around $500 for a new one from CDan or get a used one for around $175. Any thoughts recomendations???

Thanks

When I had to deal with this problem I initially purchased a new distributor, which then gunked up in less than a year. I replaced it with a used which has been in service now for 7-8 years and still running fine.

On a side note, because the new Toyota distributor was less than a year old at the time of its demise I received a new replacement under warranty.

When you correct the ventilation problem run the fresh air line up to the firewall and cap it off with a small fuel filter instead of plumbing it back to the stock filter in the firewall.

If the 175$ one is in good shape I'd go with it.... X2 on Godwins recommendation on not using the old filter, its plugged up....

Now that you know high levels of HCs exist I would make sure the PCV system is up to snuff.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom