FJ 62 SOA begins! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
Im FINALLY gonna get started on the SOA of my FJ 62 this weekend.
I have a last minute request...Can I get some pics of where you guyz put your shock tabs front and rear...PAleeeeeZE?!
Im using the Ford shock tower up front, and I have the FJ 40 style tabs for front and rear. I ran a search on mounting, ford shock towers etc, but most of the pics were of 40's etc. I wanna see 60 series specifically.
Also, when relocating the upper shock pins in the rear on the x member...do you drill through and weld in new ones, or just weld surface to surface?

Thanks,

Chicago

just put your "FJ40 style tabs" onm the front axle... jst like an FJ40.

Don't use those n the rear axle. Your shock need to extend lower.

For the upper rear mount, weld the pins on.

mark...

i think im useing the same towers on my 60. the super duty shock towers? right? if you bet me to it, could you post some pics of your mounting to help out.

i think im useing the same towers on my 60. the super duty shock towers? right? if you bet me to it, could you post some pics of your mounting to help out.

You bet!
Im gonna do a write up and try and include some of the more obscure info that is deficient in the search threads and tech with pics!
Looking at it, I may try to use the factory holes from the stock towers and turn the tabs facing backward so it lines up! Ill find out when I get there. I have a few more items that I need to pick up before I can get started, and Ill get those this week. My hy steer is on its way...I got the Marlin hy steer!

Chicago

just put your "FJ40 style tabs" onm the front axle... jst like an FJ40.

Don't use those n the rear axle. Your shock need to extend lower.

For the upper rear mount, weld the pins on.

mark...

Mark,
What should I use if not the 40 tabs in the rear?
What dimension are the pins when re locatecd on the rear x member?
About how much stress are those pins subjected too when wheeling?

Thanks,

Chicago

Any pics would be greatly appreciated for reference purposes.

Thanks,

Chicago

Mark,
What should I use if not the 40 tabs in the rear?
What dimension are the pins when re locatecd on the rear x member?
About how much stress are those pins subjected too when wheeling?

Thanks,

Chicago

Just weld a set of pins to the axlwe housing or (better yet) the original spring perch.

Dimensions?

when wheeilng, not much. On the road, sometimes a real lot.

Mark...

Here's a photo of the 40 tab on the 60 axle.. Mark is right on the money.. I put 14" travel shocks front and rear last time. Next time I would probably do 12" travel in the rear with the shock more vertical. I couldn't say for sure whether you'd lose articulation but it would probably ride better and the shock would work a little. You would probably still have to weld on new pins a hair narrower than stock... Here are some photos.. The front axle, with the 40 tabs on it. Look very closely at the ends of the axle.
Picture-119.jpg
Picture 065.jpg

Then the rear axle shocks, which I think have angles that are too extreme if you ask me. Again, I would use shorter shocks more vertically if I had the choice again...
IMAG0174.JPG

Diesel cruiser head,

YOU RULE!!!! Thanks for showing hooking me up with those pics! that really helps A LOT!!!

Chicago

It looks to me, like the pins through the tabs are welded...
Is this correct? I was of the impression that you would just run a bolt and nut from one side to the other...

Here's another question...Can you just use the stock upper pin set for the rear? is that gonna hurt anything? In otherwords, do I HAVE to move the upper pins in? If I dont have to mess with those, I really dont want to, cuz they look to be like a nice sturdy mount... Further, it looks like it would be a BITCH to weld since you cant drop the x member to get at it.

Thanks so much for the input.

Chicago

Then the rear axle shocks, which I think have angles that are too extreme if you ask me. Again, I would use shorter shocks more vertically if I had the choice again...

When I first started putting the rear shocks in the rigs at similar angles I too felt that it was kinda steep. But I have had no complaints abpout the ride, handling or performance of the shocks mounted like this, so...

Mark...

It looks to me, like the pins through the tabs are welded...
Is this correct? I was of the impression that you would just run a bolt and nut from one side to the other...

Here's another question...Can you just use the stock upper pin set for the rear? is that gonna hurt anything? In otherwords, do I HAVE to move the upper pins in? If I dont have to mess with those, I really dont want to, cuz they look to be like a nice sturdy mount... Further, it looks like it would be a BITCH to weld since you cant drop the x member to get at it.

Thanks so much for the input.

Chicago

The tabs that we are talking about, cut off the front axle of an FJ40, are all welded. You could fab something up differently if you wanted to of course.

If you use the stock upper mounts, the shocks will be too short and the more verticxle alignment will accentuate this.

It is not difficult at all to weld the new pins on. Why would you want to drop the cross member to do it?

Mark...

The tabs that we are talking about, cut off the front axle of an FJ40, are all welded. You could fab something up differently if you wanted to of course.

If you use the stock upper mounts, the shocks will be too short and the more verticxle alignment will accentuate this.

It is not difficult at all to weld the new pins on. Why would you want to drop the cross member to do it?

Mark...

Mark,
If it is going to make a big difference in the performance of the SOA, I will do it (move the rear pins in). It (to me) looks like it would be a hard spot to weld, adequately, since it appears that you would not have a good visual of the top of the pins to make sure youre getting a good enough penetration. It is for this reason, I mentioned dropping the x member...to ensure a good weld. Thats why I asked earlier, how much stress the shock pins endure.
So, do you drill through the x member, run the pin through and then weld it? I hope this makes sense.
These are issues that are not addressed when running searches, and Im glad that you are helping me with this, cuz I honestly do not know the answers and is why I ask so many questions...I dont want to do a hald assed hack job on my rig, that my wife will be riding with me in.

Thank you,

Chicago

How far in do you move the pins? As in, how many inches?

BTW, the 40 style tabs I got are from cruiser outfitters and they are just tabs, without hardware.

Chicago

Like I mentioned, on the road ( or rallying off road) the shock mounts can take a lot of stress.

Just gotta make sure your welding is done right.
If you don't have any experience, then that may be a tough spot to get a good weld. If you are not sure, find a buddy who has more trigger time than yiou do and talk him into doing it.
I guess that you could drill thrpugh the xmember for the pins. But that would be a lot of work that really isn't required. Just weld them securely and move on. ;)

There's no specific measurement for where to mount the pins Mount the bottom points high enough so that they won't get torn off on obstructions. Mount them far enough away from the spring pack that they will not hit them as everything twists under articulation. At the top, mount them far enough in board to make room for the length of the shock when it is compressed. off the top of my head about 6 inches apart would be a good number to start with.

Mark...

Thanks for your input Mark!
Ill be posting questions as I come to them while Im doing the build!

I really appreciate your time

Chicago

and where are the photos of the build, ya cant say your starting a SOA with out throwng some pictures up ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom