mystery lines..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm currently replacing all my vac lines and preparing to reinstall my EGR cooler and pipes. So far, everything looks pretty normal on the drivers side, and I've already replaced 80% of the lines on that side. However, over on the passenger side, things are a little screwy. I have a full set of factory manuals, but I'm having a very hard time identifying this little bundle of joy:

mysteryhose01.jpg

I only noticed it because as you can see, the hose that goes to the bottom of the pic is not hooked to anything on that end. Also, I can't figure out which valve that is.

Here's another shot of how the hoses are hooked on to that valve:

mysteryhose02.jpg

Then, there's this one. I found it dangling down near the starter. It comes out of the corner of the firewall and goes to nothing:

mysteryhose03.jpg

THEN....to top it all off, it looks like one of the lines on my charcoal cannister has MELTED in half.....

charcoalcan.jpg

All of this, and the truck runs reliably just fine. I did not do the desmog, and the only components I see that were removed from the EGR were the cooler and both pipes; everything else is still there.

Can anybody help?

--JP

The loose line attaches to the top of your dizzy cap.

Both loose lines go to the top of your distributor cap. The OEM cap has two ports for vacuum hose. The line that goes back to the fire wall supposedly connects to a filter located behind the glove box. The VCV that snaps below the air cleaner controls an air purge of the distributor cap, that, well must do something important, like keep the cap from exploding or dry or something like that. These components are shown in the emissions manual in the lower schematic on page 3-3 (locate the distributor cap, then go from there), but you are correct that the function and testing of these components does not appear to be described therein.

wow, sometimes the answer is right in front of your face! Thanks guys, I got those lines reconnected. I still don't understand the connections coming out of that VCV though, as they seem to be different that what's represented in the diagram of the FSM. Now I just need to figure out why the hose from the outer vent control valve to the charcoal cannister has melted........

--JP

those yellow hoses look sup-par to me, look at how easy the kink....

The hose,on the Charcoal 'can'ister, may not have 'melted', so to speak. Too much gasoline & heat may have dissolved it. Chronic overfiliing (i.e., stuffing) the gas tank will push liquid gasoline to the 'can'...Carb boilout ( after engine shut down) put's lot of vapor in the can. allo f the liquid/vapor gets sucked thru this line when engine is running . . .

i would deffinitely get ahold of some new line. those all look super jank.

Yep, I have all new vac line from Mcmaster Carr (the reddish stuff). All the OEM rubber is in pretty bad shape, whether it's kinking or splitting. Guess the yellow highlighting I added in Photoshop makes them look even worse!

MrZero said:
Yep, I have all new vac line from Mcmaster Carr (the reddish stuff). All the OEM rubber is in pretty bad shape, whether it's kinking or splitting. Guess the yellow highlighting I added in Photoshop makes them look even worse!

they look like the glow in the dark tubes that are at the county fair.

So, the tubing that comes off the charcoal cannister....can anybody suggest aftermarket hose appropriate for that application (feul)?

not sure specifically, but would assume that fuel grade hose from the parts store should work. just take in a piece for sizing? if you're super OEM - you can give CDan a call and have him sell you the stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom