80 Series ATF Cooler used as a 40 Series PS Cooler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lake Arrowhead, CA (was), Rocky Top, TN (is)
So, I posted this thread (https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/288790-anyone-try-bad-idea.html) to see if it would work to use the tranny cooler from an '92 FJ80 (that I'm parting out - https://forum.ih8mud.com/parting-out/287091-92-fj80-so-cal-98%-all-part-intact.html) as a power steering cooler on my FJ40. Here it is still mounted (somewhat) on the 80:

3629550572_768746e629.jpg

I've seen a lot of guys use the smaller ones similar to this one sold by MAF for $27 - MAF Power Steering Oil Cooler Kit. The tranny cooler is, obviously, larger and can hold more fluid. The only questions would be: 1) if it would fit between the radiator and the mesh on the bib and 2) how to mount it.

At first, this looked like a pretty stout way to mount it - just drill 4 holes through the radiator support on the left side and then fab up mounts for the right side (BTW, I just ran the hose from one nipple to the other to keep the residual fluid from leaking all over the place):

3628684819_874ffcf408.jpg

Then, I tried to put the bib back in place and found that there wasn't enough room to clear the mesh :doh:.

So, I walked away :eek: and worked on another project for a while and then came back to this and figured this out:

3628776175_aa50b4a2f0.jpg

The two tabs on the left side of the cooler (as mounted in the 80) just fit between the bottom of the radiator and the surround.

3629589612_6ff31eec68.jpg

If you push down on it slightly (the metal is pretty thin) it kinda "snaps" snuggly into place as this lip fits under a little shelf on the radiator. It is perfectly spaced so the cooler and the radiator don't touch and "grind" on one another.

3628776211_af86cde6a1.jpg

I centered it on the bib hinge (though it doesn't look like it here) and next I'll put a bracket across to attach the top of the cooler to the radiator support like this....

3628812641_e58aac0f1b.jpg

...to keep the bottom tabs from popping loose and to keep the top of the cooler from "chewing" on the radiator (it'll also provide some strength so the thin bottom piece of metal doesn't fatigue and break over time). I'll fab a little "L-bracket" on the left side (arrow) to bolt to the bracket too.

Once that's done, I'll run the lines. Hopefully, my pump rebuild woes will be resolved by then - https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/287106-leaking-oem-40-series-ps-pump.html.

Putting the bib in place, it looks like it will be snug, but should work. I'm a little concerned about the support for the TOYOTA emblem on the grill mesh, but we'll see once everything is mounted up.......

Does anyone see anything I'm missing? Suggestions? Input is always welcome.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2166/3628812641_e58aac0f1b.jpg?v=0

On the back side of the cooler Iput a strip of truck conopy seal top and bottom as a ,just in case.Then mounted it to the bib grill.My 6.2 does a lot more vibrating though .Yours looks OK from the pics

Hi All:

I see no reason not to use that as a PS cooler, as long as you can fab-up satisfactory mounts.

Good luck!

Alan

Recommend checking for a flow restrictor. Some coolers have a restriction designed to slow the flow of fluid there by making it cool more efficiently. In a trasn cooler app. this is fine. However, in a steering app. the reduction of flow can be problematic.

Usually located on the discharge. This is intended to ensure the coil is full allowing for the most efficient transfer of heat. If visual inspection fails perhaps these two other methods will work: look for a circumferential dent in the discharge tube indicating the placement of a restrictor "slug". or insert something into the discharge that approximates the ID of the tube but is fairly flexible. If the insert makes it to the first "U"bend then there is likely no restrictor.

Any time. May need to cover it with cardboard next time you get out the plow.
Best of luck

You'll have such efficient cooling that the fluid will "gell" next winter!:D

:beer:Very tongue in cheek comment. enjoy the obsession!

Well, this project is finished and was.....SUCCESSFUL!! :p

I couldn't find a flow restrictor as TLChopII suggested I check for, so I went ahead and bought some strap steel and some bolts to make a mount. It turned out looking like this:

3763372338_50cbbfe6c3.jpg

I made an L-bracket to attach the cooler to the stock mounting holes on the left side:
3763365376_3533dd1086.jpg

I used the stock mounting holes on the right side and then ran the lines like this:
3762576489_037792c8c4.jpg

With the bib up, it is very snug, but doesn't seem to rub or grate on anything. I haven't put the TOYOTA grill emblem back on and that might need some slight mods to it to keep it from rubbing, but we'll see:
3762577693_f3192bf411.jpg

I filled the reservoir and bled the system. It seems to have the same feel as before I added the cooler - it might be a little stiffer, but I can't be sure. I can still turn the wheel at a dead stop with one hand, so I'm happy. We've run a couple short trips on fireroads and everything seems to work just fine.

I just finished swapping out the master cylinder and the brake booster from the FJ80 I'm parting out, too. It was pretty easy - just some minor adjustments left to do. I'll do a write-up if anyone is interested:
3762565535_195b51689e.jpg

Next on the list is a center arm rebuild and new TRE's.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom