U Bolt nuts slipping, reccom re-tightening technique (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 73FJ40 with a SOR 4" lift that the previous owner installed. I've only had the truck about 4 months and it seems the steering has gotten a little sloppier since I bought it as well as having some loud popping noises when the truck front and rear are flexing on different angles. Just in the last week or so I seem to have gotten death wobble over some big pot holes. I have been watching for some time and noticed that the front U bolts nuts have been unscrewing themselves little by little...I think this is what is making the suspension get worse? Before taking to a shop to diagnose I want to tighten the nuts back to their original positions but want to get some reccommendations about doing it. Anything to avoid or do before tightening? Obviously it will be on flat ground with the wheels straight. I know this is a pretty rookie question but I am still learning and don't want to f anything up....and also not spend a ton of money going to a garage. The truck runs true and straight on the road.

Any reccomendations are much appreciated.

I would take them off one at a time, inspect them (even just replace them) and replace the lock washers. then apply blue loctite, and reapply to 1/3 recommended torque..when all 4 are back on, bring up to required torque in steps of 1/3...in a criss cross pattern.... if you do them one at a time it shouldn't effect anything.....

Get somebody to concur with this, I'd do this if it was mine, but someone with more experience should chime in...

Thanks! Will I ned to lift the truck off the ground to take off all four bolts? Obviously going to do one wheel at a time. I think I saw the torque spec to be about 60.

Before you remove the ubolts, I would try to tighten them first, see if they are usable. I use 90 ft/lbs myself. 60 is way too low. I definitely don't recommend using locktite on the ubolts, in fact I use copper anti-sieze to assure that they will not rust and will come off when I want them to. That said, I think you can get away with the initial tightening the ubolts just as it sits on the ground. Criscross until you get to 90. Check again after about a 100 miles. If really loose, then I'd look into new ubolts, as it should only need some minor tightening.

For new ubolts, you will need two sets of jackstands. I use the small 3 ton ones for the axles, and 6 ton ones for the frame support. Good luck

CCOT recommends Torque U-Bolts to 80 ft. lbs., this is for their HFS springs installation.

2x on the nix the loctite...I would not do that. I would use nothing on them, or a small amount of light oil just to put a bit of lube on the threads.

If they are loosening, like unscrewing??? I would replace them.

Thanks guys! I know it seems simple but I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything or set the alignment off. I'll let you know if this solves the problem.

Maybe the U-bolts are stretching a little bit? I thought that was normal. How old is the new lift? I was taught that you're supposed to re-torque those fairly often when you put new ones in. Loose U-bolts would certainly explain your symptoms. Don't ask me how I know.

You: "I have been watching for some time and noticed that the front U bolts nuts have been unscrewing themselves little by little"

When you see nuts (or bolts or screws) unscrewing themselves, it's just their way of saying "Tighten me please". Don't take it to a shop to diagnose your problem. Put a wrench on everything loose. Don't take anything apart, just tighten everything down.

EDIT: where the heck is Leucadia?

Thanks! Yeah, Leucadia is a small area inside the city of Encinitas in North San Diego County. It is just South of Carlsbad & La Costa. Great surf, small town vibe. I've lived all over CA and a few other places around the world and I love NC San Diego. You should check it out sometime.

Thanks guys! I know it seems simple but I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything or set the alignment off. I'll let you know if this solves the problem.
The spring perches are welded to the axle and there is a center pin on the springs that aligns them to the perches. No worries about screwing up your alignment.

Just get down there, and tighten the u-bolts as tight as you can (short of anything like a 4 ft cheater bar). There's not really anything you can F-up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom