U-bolt flipkit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
I recently bought 4 new 4inch lift springs for my FJ40 with 1 and 1/2 shackle reversal on it. Now I am looking at the u-bolts and I am thinking it is easier and more realistic to mount them up top or flop them around.:doh:

I see lots of flipkits online has anyone built these themselves? if so can you give me some plans or should I just buy the kit itself?

I would appreciate any info.

What about shock relocation also? The mouting point on the cruiser seem a little goofy looking and all.
Thanks Tom:censor:

I read about using GM axle plates (part # 1559 2588, about $15 each) to put on top of the axles, making a 3/8 plate for the bottom of the springs and buying longer U bolts to do the job. One of the plates has to be modified by adding an extension due to its location next to the differential housing. I plan on trying this, but not until next month.

The information and pictures are on MUD somewhere, but can’t find them right now with a search. Look around and search for GM flip or something like that…:cheers:

Jerry D.

Edit...here is the thread, on the 60 board: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=103113&highlight=bolt+flip

Last edited:
If you can weld you can make this style spring plates from steel tube. The clearance is actually better than flip kits and they slide over rocks better.

sprplat.jpg

That's actually the style of plate I used before I was SOA. Advanced Handling in oregon was the place that made them first. They worked really well.

Pin head

Can I get the dimensions for the plates that you made? I have lots of square tubing and a welder, I just would like to see how big it is etc.
Thanks Tom

Can I get the dimensions for the plates that you made? I have lots of square tubing and a welder, I just would like to see how big it is etc.
Thanks Tom

It would depend on the width of your springs. I used a 7 inch long piece of 3x3 OD 1/4 inch wall HREW tube cut in half length wise and strips of 1.25 x 1/4 inch steel. The plates are "old school" but lots of guys in my club run them. The shock mounts are 1.25 inch 1/4 angle with 5/8 inch bolts.

Mr. Ross Stewart from land cruiser advanced handling was quite the creative cruiser head,
here are some pics of his ubolt/skid plates :

Cost - $125 for all 4

Very pleased with quality, and customer service from LCAH...nice job Ross :D

Seriously doubt he has any left (LCAH is no more), but here what I have as far as contact info:

Phone: (541) 967-0233
E-mail: sales.lcadvancedhandling@comcast.net
uboltPLATE.jpg
uboltPLATEold.jpg
uboltPLATEnew.jpg

Hey all,
I’m in the process of trying the U-Bolt flip with the GM plates and 5/8” U-Bolts. I have all of them on except for the one that needs to be modified. I will be working on that one this weekend. I’m planning on doing a write up with “lessons learned” but I’m sure I won’t get to it for a few weeks. I’m doing this in conjunction with some other stuff.

So far, the installation has been a PIA. This is mostly due to poor planning on my part. I think if I did a couple of things different, things would have gone together a lot smoother. I’m still very pleased with the end result so far. Of course I still have the most difficult one to do yet.

Personally, I like the ones that Pin Head recommends. I didn’t go this route because I like to do my own work and I was afraid that my little cheapo wire feed welder wouldn’t get enough penetration. I’m having a buddy weld the extension on the modified GM plate for me.

I also have a diagram with the GM plate hole pattern and a couple of helpful links that I will add to the write up. If anybody needs this stuff now, send me a PM.
:cheers:
Plate installed.jpg

Hi All:

I've been using the LCAH u-bilt skid plates for a few years now, and have been happy with them. The gold anodized (sp.) finish has held-up well.

"Pinhead," your version looks good - perhaps even "beefier" than the LCAH version.

"jcj_78FJ40," your rear u-bolt flip looks like it is coming together nicely!

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom