A/C Evaporator cleaner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
Finally received the AC Evaporator and vent cleaner. You need to drill a 1/4" hole (be careful not to drill into the evaporator!)...thread the included fitting into the plastic evaporator housing (I installed the fitting just to the left of the filter slot). I removed the WAY dusty filters, put the filter cover back on, connected the hose to the fitting from the aerosol cleaner can...and sprayed until the can was empty.

You'll get plenty of gunk to drain out of the evaporator housing...be sure to have a catch pan...it takes about 1/2 hour to 45-minutes to do its thing and then it starts draining the residual mess out.

Sprayed the vents with the included vent cleaner/sanitizer. Put clean filters back in...buttoned it up and done. 1/2 :banana: job. BTW I reported in another thread I have successfully been washing the cabin filters out...works like a charm so far...and a BIG savings since they get clogged SO fast out here in desertville :rolleyes:.

I could feel the A/C air was quite a bit colder after cleaning the evaporator. And it doesn't smell dusty anymore.

I think I'll keep a couple of these kits around...for more frequent use down the road...er trail ;).
DSC_2857.jpg
DSC_2859.jpg
DSC_2858.jpg

From the evaporator housing to the puddle you commonly see on the ground.

where does it drain out from?

There is a plastic hose that connects to the bottom of the evaporator box and runs down along the PS frame rail that allows the accumulated moisture to drain freely. You want to check to be sure this hose is not clogged. Run a piece of wire (fold the end of the wire over or protect it so that it doesn't hang up/tear the hose) from the bottom side of the hose up.

oh so there isnt a special drain it just uses the regular drain? Cool, very simple I like it.

oh so there isnt a special drain it just uses the regular drain? Cool, very simple I like it.

Yep...uses the existing drain (assuming it's not plugged...but that's an easy fix too if it is plugged up).

Yes: This is a simple, effective and affordable tune-up for your A/C.

did you open it up to figure out where to drill?

did you open it up to figure out where to drill?

Yes.

This isn't the only place to install the fitting...another spot might be on the filter housing 'cap'.

Maybe put this in Tech?

Very cool! I've been looking at that same kit for a couple years but was scared to do it...maybe not anymore!

Yes.

This isn't the only place to install the fitting...another spot might be on the filter housing 'cap'.

Maybe put this in Tech?

how long does it take to get in there and open it up?

how long does it take to get in there and open it up?

Glove box door comes off: 2-screws and about 5-minutes or less; then the upper glove box latch panel is removed (3-screws) in about 5-minutes or less.

It truly is a 1/2 :banana: job. If you know evap water has been draining after A/C use then you know the drain tube is not plugged. However if not you may want to rotoroot the drain tube with a piece of stiff wire.

i just got my kit today...however i plan on just using the ac drain to connect my can i am going to upload the picture of the kit in a bit....its made by petrol

i just got my kit today...however i plan on just using the ac drain to connect my can i am going to upload the picture of the kit in a bit....its made by petrol

Good idea!

ok i've attached the ac foam kit that i used today...i attached it to the ac drain...not too difficult i just removed three clips in the fenderwell and pulled back a splash shield and was able to hook up....i go the foam as a sample from the rep...let me know if anyone is interested and i can see what i can do get try and get some more....ac seems to be blowing colder sooner but i messed up and forgot to record the time it takes to get cold and how cold it gets now
Esteban Andres Sanchez 077.jpg
Esteban Andres Sanchez 082.jpg

Is there any reason why you couldn't drill into the evaporator below the glove box, thereby eliminating the need to remove it?

Is there any reason why you couldn't drill into the evaporator below the glove box, thereby eliminating the need to remove it?

Nope as long as the schraeder fitting is above whatever the residual moisture level that pools/drains from the evaporator (just to be sure the drain water wouldn't get past the schraeder valve and drain onto your carpet mat or passenger's foot :lol:).

But I would want to remove the cabin filters before I foamed the compartment (disregard if you don't have the cabin filters installed ;)). I doubt, although I could be wrong, the foam would clean the filter elements as well as I can by removing them and washing them out...

But I would want to remove the cabin filters before I foamed the compartment (disregard if you don't have the cabin filters installed ;)). I doubt, although I could be wrong, the foam would clean the filter elements as well as I can by removing them and washing them out...

I can't remmeber if the drain is located on the evaporator side of the filters or not. Definitely worth checking because if you don't remove the filters and go through the drain hole you may be filling the compartment between the filters and the fan, thereby not getting the product to the evaporator where it needs to go (depending on drain location compared to the evaporator and the filter location.)

Personally, if I had filters, I would probably uses two cans of the stuff for the "first or initial" clean to get the job done properly.
1. Remove filters.
2. Drill the hole between the filters and the evaporator "if there is room and it is practical".(as high as possible, the product may be foam to start with but will always run down so higher will hopefully let you get it into all the highest parts of the evaporator better)
3. Charge the foam in so it does its work.
4. Drain etc.
5. Replace your old filters.
6. Charge the foam in so it fills the space between the filters and the evaporator and forces the foam into and through the evaporator as much as possible, let it do its work.
7. Drain etc.
8. Then remove the old filters and then install new filters. This way (I believe) you would get the best cleaning performnce of the airbox, but more importantly the evaporator.
9. Another thing I like to do is to get a hose in there and wash the evaporator out with water.
whatever you think is appropriate!
There may be impractical scenarios in the information above so you guys will have to do whatever you think is appropriate!
My personal thoughts only!

Last edited:
I can't remmeber if the drain is located on the evaporator side of the filters or not. Definitely worth checking because if you don't remove the filters and go through the drain hole you may be filling the compartment between the filters and the fan, thereby not getting the product to the evaporator where it needs to go (depending on drain location compared to the evaporator and the filter location.)

Personally, if I had filters, I would probably uses two cans of the stuff for the "first or initial" clean to get the job done properly.
1. Remove filters.
2. Drill the hole between the filters and the evaporator "if there is room and it is practical".(as high as possible, the product may be foam to start with but will always run down so higher will hopefully let you get it into all the highest parts of the evaporator better)
3. Charge the foam in so it does its work.
4. Drain etc.
5. Replace your old filters.
6. Charge the foam in so it fills the space between the filters and the evaporator and forces the foam into and through the evaporator as much as possible, let it do its work.
7. Drain etc.
8. Then remove the old filters and then install new filters. This way (I believe) you would get the best cleaning performnce of the airbox, but more importantly the evaporator.
9. Another thing I like to do is to get a hose in there and wash the evaporator out with water.
whatever you think is appropriate!
There may be impractical scenarios in the information above so you guys will have to do whatever you think is appropriate!
My personal thoughts only!

Good ideas for sure! The drain tube is in the back left hand corner when you looking straight on at the evap box. Yeah...it makes sense to leave the filters in for the evap cleaning then replace: Good tip!

But WOW...post cleaning the A/C actually gets cold again! I, due to the extreme Nevada dust we travel through, could probably flush it again and get just a bit more efficiency out of it.

We need to get a group buy going on these kits...$60 a pop several times a year adds up fast ;).

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom