What Oil do you guys use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a 77 with the 2f, pretty old never rebuilt but runs good. What weight oil are you guys running? 10w-30? or something better for older engines?

20 w- 50 Shell Rotella AFAIK it does not have depleted levels of ZDDP, better for solid lifters & camshafts.

15-40 or 20-50...all year.

5-30/10-30 oil is too thin when it gets hot....

I've heard that this oil is great for older vehicles due to the zinc content for as you mentioned cam and lifters. It has been recommended for older big block vettes and I'm going to be changing over to it soon. (The Shell Rotella oil) I believe that it's a diesel engine oil.

I think the area of the world you live in would have to figure into the picture. As well as miles on the engine. Exteme cold or high temps would seem to make a difference. Thicker oil seems to help with oil pressure as well with older engines that may not have been taken care of in years past. I use 20w50 but have more hot than cold. I think changing it regularly is the most important issue...

:cool:
sqts17lg[1].jpg

I don't put high dollar oil in my FJ40. Instead, I use the Chevron Supreme 20w-50 all year. THese are tractor motors and not picky about oil. BTW-If you watch the ads, you can get the Chevron for $0.49 per quart after rebate. It's cheaper than gasoline. If I were lucky enough to get an engine rebuilt, I would run Chevron Delo 15w-40.

20w-50 Castrol for 21 years
The last oil change I decided to use Chevron Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 which is the same oil I use in my 6.5L turbo diesel.

Last edited:
'75 fj40 140,000+mi. 20/50 Castrol GTX.

Castrol 20W50

Chris

20w-50 Castrol for 21 years

Also. No problem starting up at -20F the other day. (Some guy with a "modern" vehicle said he couldn't start his because he had 10W30 instead of 5W30 and had to have his oil changed out. :rolleyes:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom