Ambulance door storage rack idea, what do you think? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

airon23

SILVER Star
Threads
I got this idea in my head as I was thinking about where else to store/mount a Scepter fuel/water cans either on the inside or outside of the 40. I found this Rhino XRS rack plate that seems just about right to cut in half and split between the 2 ambulance doors so I wanted to see your thoughts before I try this. There's probably already the perfect idea out there I just haven't found it.

Obviously the rack mod would then allow for storage on the doors for a bunch of other things, I'm just wondering if it's worth drilling in to the ambulance doors to try this.
Thoughts?
Go Rhino 5950020T XRS/SRM Accessory Gear Plate Kit

I've seen a similar thing done by companies for jeeps and broncos, that actually utilize the stock holes and such from their doors, but I don't think I've seen anything for FJ40s.

Picture this plate cut in half mounted vertically to the ambulance doors using riv nuts along the sides of the inside of the doors. Would need modify slightly as well for the handles and such on the inside of the doors.

1708631955778.png

(not my picture just to get the idea across, taken from another mudder @MTZ FJ40 )
1708632045006.png

(also not my pictures but used for the measurements, thanks @Temecula40)
1708632143559.png

1708632199681.png

I put a 12.5 gallon Aux tank behind my rear axle. I think the tank needs to worked on or replaced after about 40 years there. It was wonderful being able to just turn the selector to get more fuel, I never had to fool with gas cans. For water the 7 gallon Reliance jugs were great and having a good water filter/treatment system allowed me to resupply anywhere I could easily get to water.

I would do a swing away rack for the spare tire, gas and water cans rather than put a lot of weight on the ambi door hinges.

I put a 12.5 gallon Aux tank behind my rear axle. I think the tank needs to worked on or replaced after about 40 years there. It was wonderful being able to just turn the selector to get more fuel, I never had to fool with gas cans. For water the 7 gallon Reliance jugs were great and having a good water filter/treatment system allowed me to resupply anywhere I could easily get to water.

I would do a swing away rack for the spare tire, gas and water cans rather than put a lot of weight on the ambi door hinges.
Fair enough and the aux tank would be the best solution if all you were worried about was the fuel tank. And that is what initially sparked the idea so it's not ruled out just yet.

That being said, is something like this to hold other things like fire extinguisher, compressor, first aid kit, tools, small shovel, tire repair kit, table/bench, etc. things like that; is it something that would make a good addition or just a lame half assed looking scrap metal bolted to the doors?

IMO thats alot of heavy to hang off the door hinges & latches, I thought you were talking interior so when door is open you would have a table to fold down, maybe 1 inside & 1 outside. You could mount to door fine but then all the weigth is on the hinge pins & latch.

IMO thats alot of heavy to hang off the door hinges & latches, I thought you were talking interior so when door is open you would have a table to fold down, maybe 1 inside & 1 outside. You could mount to door fine but then all the weigth is on the hinge pins & latch.
Yes, I'm talking about mounting on the inside/interior of the door. So the lower half of the door under the window.

I have comfortably hauled 2 people and all the nice stuff for 2 week camp in my 40, just don't shoot anything bigger than a couple of grouse if you want to bring them home. Once I hauled 7 people and a dog 20 miles up to the ski lift. I had a rack on the top for the skis and poles plus 2 army duffle bags for all the coats and packs - yea you had to get out to change your mind.

Its your rig, kit it out the way you want, that's the fun in it.

I like the idea and have been thinking of same type of thing to fold down from back of swing out. They come in handy for temp trail stops for lunch/repairs, its nice to have a quick deploy table alot more than youd think.

It’s got my wheels turning, as it were.
Like a customizable Mole Panel.
Strap stuff like: first aid kit, jumper cables, battle axe and yes, a fire extinguisher. Quick access stuff.

🤔

Pretty sure you can take the hinges apart and has brass bushings. Personally wouldn't add that much weight to the ambulance doors. The FJ Cruiser and 70 series spare tires have been added. But hinges are a lot more heavy duty than 40.series ambulance door hinges.

Think I paid $35 from a wrecking yard for these doors. All the hardware was gone and door had damaged. For that reason will have no problem adding as big a speaker to the hollow section under the window. But that as much weight that I'll add to the hinges.
IMG_20190725_131652377.jpg
IMG_20190831_134817344.jpg

I like the idea and have been thinking of same type of thing to fold down from back of swing out. They come in handy for temp trail stops for lunch/repairs, its nice to have a quick deploy table alot more than youd think.
My daughter approves of the fold down table.

20230120_154845.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll fourth the table idea Aaron. Leave the molle panels for the J**p crowd.

Pretty sure you can take the hinges apart and has brass bushings. Personally wouldn't add that much weight to the ambulance doors. The FJ Cruiser and 70 series spare tires have been added. But hinges are a lot more heavy duty than 40.series ambulance door hinges.

Think I paid $35 from a wrecking yard for these doors. All the hardware was gone and door had damaged. For that reason will have no problem adding as big a speaker to the hollow section under the window. But that as much weight that I'll add to the hinges.
View attachment 3564273View attachment 3564272

I'm assuming the door cards are something custom? They look nice, probably help with noise too.

Last edited:
My daughter approves of the fold down table.

View attachment 3564352

Toyota had a model with a large built-in table in the back. It was never offered on hard top models. If you are taller than the young
lady in the picture above a foot behind her may be the reason why. Unlike riding a bicycle I have keep relearning to watch out for the handle.

@rkymtnflyfisher this is spot on:

1708689903526.png

I’m making bumper stickers that say: “0-60 in 3 to 5 business days” and “If you can read this, you’re an asshat”

OP- I think your idea still has some merit, having a spot dedicated to emergency/quick use items off the floor and easily accessible is a good idea. I was so sick of digging out jumper cables, tools, recovery straps etc the were buried in my truck. I now keep all of that in lockable rifle cases on the roof rack.

On longer trips when all your gear stuffed in, it’s nice to be able to easily access things when helping others. I love the fold down table, but I think there can be a bit of both.

Thanks for sparking the flame.

I'm assuming the door cards are something custom? They look nice, probably help with noise

There is a company out of AUS making the ambi door cards. They have a “store” on EBay. Pretty sure they have a .com as well.

*no hijack intended..🙄

I'm assuming the door cards are something custom? They look nice, probably help with noise too.

There is a company out of AUS making the ambi door cards. They have a “store” on EBay. Pretty sure they have a .com as well.

*no hijack intended..🙄

Since it was brought again the door cards on my doors were made in the US. A thread few years back (2019) a member was looking for someone to install set and take pictures. Since my doors are off a wreck d troopy didn't mind drilling holes for the factory style clips. Late LX models and JDM mid wheel base 40 series had brown door cards on the ambulance doors. The handle cover was also brown.

Think a ambulance door would be a great place to install a table. Most my driving in the 40 has been with a hard top and hatch. Wonder why I've never removed the handle that serves no purpose. With spare closed hatch can't be opened from the inside. One thing the hatch on the 40 has over later models is it all steel and easy put a light with a magnet on anywhere you want. 5th Gen 4Runner has nice lights in the hatch just nothing to attach a table too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom