What Oil do you guys use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Valvoline 20w-50

i said what i used in the first page of this thread, i didn't see a need for another recomendation just breifly noting the larger the span the more polymers, the more polymers a higher rate of of thermal break down will occur at a relativily lower temp. as for the note on the higher zinc rating pertained to if/when any actaul metal compenents come in contact this forms kind of a barrier for the two to minimize damage/wear

Last edited:
lol is everything i say on these forums wrong poser? lol
-i'll go back into hiding

i run 10w30 synthetic either pennzoil or mobil1 because of there higher then normal zinc content. but thats in a 350

-just my .02

you know bandy, I searched and can't find any evidence of mobil1 syn. having zinc, and as for pennzoil syn.? can't either, so could you narrow it down a bit??:confused:
sorce--- http://www.micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

i try to stay away from oils with such a large span in viscosity such as 20w50 because they have to use so many polymers to "fill the gap" and that sort of leads to thermal break down and an oil with the least polymers is happier engine.

Kinda interesting....

" Multi viscosity oils are one of the great improvements in oils, but they should be chosen wisely. Always use a multi grade with the narrowest span of viscosity that is appropriate for the temperatures you are going to encounter. In the winter base your decision on the lowest temperature you will encounter, in the summer, the highest temperature you expect. The polymers can shear and burn forming deposits that can cause ring sticking and other problems. 10W-40 and 5W-30 require a lot of polymers(synthetics excluded) to achieve that range. This has caused problems in diesel engines, but fewer polymers are better for all engines. The wide viscosity range oils, in general, are more prone to viscosity and thermal breakdown due to the high polymer content. It is the oil that lubricates, not the additives. Oils that can do their job with the fewest additives are the best.

Very few manufacturers recommend 10W-40 any more, and some threaten to void warranties if it is used. It was not included in this article for that reason. 20W-50 is the same 30 point spread, but because it starts with a heavier base it requires less viscosity index improvers (polymers) to do the job. AMSOIL can formulate their 10W-30 and 15W-40 with no viscosity index improvers but uses some in the 10W-40 and 5W-30. Other multigrade synthetics may not use VI improvers either. The full literature available from the oil company should include this information. Follow your manufacturer's recommendations as to which weights are appropriate for your vehicle. "

Same article... http://www.micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

Good reading grant5127

:beer:

now im all confused, what oil should i be running?

"Any oil is better than no oil...." ;)

Well ... I've done some extensive research and basically what I use in *all* my vehicles is ...

Shell Rotella 15w-40

Simple for me because I buy it it very big containers and it's a one oil for all engines solution for me.

Luckinly I don't have a vehicle which requires a multi synthetic blend *or* a specific oil requirements for emissions. (Some newer vehicles require specific oils to maintain emission component warrantees.)

HTH,
Cahil

P.S. Oh yeah, 3k oil change interval too ... oil is cheap, engines are not.

well after all that reading i think that its time to change my oil, I did the last change back in ...2005 humm thats no good. Well i figure that the cruiser uses 1 qt per 40 gallons of gas(this is true only on the freeway and not the trail, for some reason i don't use that much oil on the trail), I have had to added 14qt of oil over the last year. I guess i don't need to change it but maybe i should change the filter.

this has also got me thinking that is probably not ok that i just add what ever oil i can find to the 135F. I mean if i have some 20-50 that want she gets, only 10-30 no big deal right, 5-30 heck is all oil.

We could turn this into a poll but my money is on 20W-50 winning. :grinpimp:

Hey John your probably right ...

Wanna add some more oil(fuel) to the fire ? (bad pun I know) Castrol and Amsoil do not have their own refinery ??? So if you buy Castrol or Amsoil ... whose oil are you actually buying ?

:censor:

Hmmm ... curious question isn't it ...

Cahil

Whatever synth I can get for the best deal at the time, and because I'm in an area where temps are not extreme, it's pretty easy to shop around.

i think i used 10W30 in mine...its been a while and i just used what was in the shop, my family usualy buys oil by the case from costco. what would be the best for my rig, its a 74 with F engine and im on vancouver island (stones throw from seattle) will the oil really make that much of a difference in engine life so long as its changed often?

Shell Rotella 15w 40. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom