Gunky heads… what would you do? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I’ll try to keep it short… I found a 2f to throw into my 1977. It has great compression but the valves are crazy gunky. in the last photo you can see what 3 cans of carb cleaner got my on the right half of the valves (not very good). What do you guys think is the best path forward? Just using carb cleaner and a plastic brush isn’t getting the job done.

Thanks.

F0CC92AF-A5AE-4ED2-B418-F1D7D92EEA27.jpeg

A5B33A77-51BA-4515-8CAD-6A524BA8FB55.jpeg

78C77DB4-C5C5-4AE7-B206-0D8295D820FE.jpeg

I would buy a full gasket set and rip it completely down to clean and inspect everything. You could fill it full with like kerosene and let it soak for a week or two, then drain it for a day or two. I would not turn it over while soaking - why circulate gunk or risk bending/breaking something. Put in clean oil/filter, pull the plugs and spin it with the starter until it builds oil pressure. Then fire it up and run it for a while. Be nicer if it was installed so you could drive it around at different speeds/ You can change that oil and filter soon.

I would buy a full gasket set and rip it completely down to clean and inspect everything. You could fill it full with like kerosene and let it soak for a week or two, then drain it for a day or two. I would not turn it over while soaking - why circulate gunk or risk bending/breaking something. Put in clean oil/filter, pull the plugs and spin it with the starter until it builds oil pressure. Then fire it up and run it for a while. Be nicer if it was installed so you could drive it around at different speeds/ You can change that oil and filter soon.
That’s how I’m leaning right now. I’m in the middle of a frame off resto mod so right now is the time to rip is apart. The bottom end doesn’t look nearly as bad. Thank you!

Since you say it's to "throw in", I'm guessing that you are thinking it might get replaced or upgraded sometime soon.

If that's the case, then I'd just brush out the top with Jizer, then button it back up with some fresh oil and filter, and get weaving.

It's clearly been run like that for some time, so another few months with fresh oil & some frequent changes won't hurt much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom