Tree trunk protector strap recomendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All.. I am looking for any suggestions on a reasonably priced and reliable tree trunk protector strap to use while winching. I have a 8274 on my 62 series... thanks !

Hi All:

Here you go:

Tree Trunk Protector-RH1

Any of these choices should be fine your winching needs. Be sure to choose one based on a safe over-load of the pulling power of the winch.

Regards,

Alan

You could use a (strong enough) tow strap to use as a tree protector. Being a bit longer than the usual dedicated tree protector would make it also more useful for regular towing if you need an extension. Probably better that it not be stretchy (as in real tow strap not a recovery strap) but that is debatable I guess. If really too long in use you can just double it over (which could also help with the breaking point). Nice to have a piece of old carpet you can put between the strap and the trunk to reduce chafing.

We stock the new ARB Tree Trunk Protectors, zero stretch (for use with winch), heavy duty, color coded and available in two lengths, 10 ft and 16 ft. Pricing and additional specs here:
Cruiser Outfitters

We stock the new ARB Tree Trunk Protectors, zero stretch (for use with winch), heavy duty, color coded and available in two lengths, 10 ft and 16 ft. Pricing and additional specs here:
Cruiser Outfitters

Kurt: Any idea how much space the rolled up 16' ARB Tree Trunk strap takes up for storage? They certainly look like nice straps from the photos.

Kurt: Any idea how much space the rolled up 16' ARB Tree Trunk strap takes up for storage? They certainly look like nice straps from the photos.

Total shoot from the hip, 12" x 8" x 3"?

You could use a (strong enough) tow strap to use as a tree protector. Being a bit longer than the usual dedicated tree protector would make it also more useful for regular towing if you need an extension. Probably better that it not be stretchy (as in real tow strap not a recovery strap) but that is debatable I guess. If really too long in use you can just double it over (which could also help with the breaking point). Nice to have a piece of old carpet you can put between the strap and the trunk to reduce chafing.

I am with e999,

i use a 3 inch tow strap for my tree duties. It works great, and i haven't torn a tree up yet. Although, most of the time i use it; its 15 feet; i wrap it 3 to 4 times and the use a 3/4 clevis shackle to attach it to the main line. However, the ARB straps, protectors and winch extenders look great! They are specifically designed for the job, and good for them, but i what i am doing is good for now.

I am with e999,

i use a 3 inch tow strap for my tree duties. It works great, and i haven't torn a tree up yet. Although, most of the time i use it; its 15 feet; i wrap it 3 to 4 times and the use a 3/4 clevis shackle to attach it to the main line. However, the ARB straps, protectors and winch extenders look great! They are specifically designed for the job, and good for them, but i what i am doing is good for now.

keep in mind that if you wrap it around several times, that may not be good for the strap and also you still only have the nominal strength, whereas if you double it up you get twice the strength

Thanks guys ! I went with the ARB

ARB is very good tree saver-helper :D
P1090753.jpg
P1090745.jpg
P1090747.jpg

Does anyone have an opinion on the 10 foot vs. 16 foot ARB straps ?

Which seems to work better in the real-world recovery situations... ?

Does anyone have an opinion on the 10 foot vs. 16 foot ARB straps ?

Which seems to work better in the real-world recovery situations... ?

I can't see any disadvantage to the 16 footer.

John

Even a 16 foot strap is only 8 feet long once doubled over.

Unless you plan on getting closer than 10 feet to your anchor, I can't see the downside of the long one.

I use a polyester round sling. I find them superior to nylon straps. They don't stretch, are flexible in their use, are easier to store, etc. Love it.

First off, in this application, there is no such thing as zero stretch, maybe better wording would be; the stretch isn't significant to application? The common strap fibers have stretch, Polyester (~3-4%) and Nylon (~7%), depending on how they are woven the resulting strap stretch is higher.

All of the fibers have a "shelf life", they are degraded by UV, dirt cutting the fibers, chemical contact, etc. It is a good plan to wash them when they become dirty. Even with the best care, industrial strap manufactures recommend replacing them at about 5-7 years for non-critical and 2-3 years for life protection applications.

So, strap selection is best determined by frequency of use. If you use them often, wear them out quickly, a strap with loop boots, etc, is a good investment, if it is seldom used, a strap with less features, cost, is likely better. In other words, they are a consumable item, not a lifetime investment.

So, strap selection is best determined by frequency of use. If you use them often, wear them out quickly, a strap with loop boots, etc, is a good investment, if it is seldom used, a strap with less features, cost, is likely better. In other words, they are a consumable item, not a lifetime investment.

I agree that a strap (recovery, tow or tree) is not a lifetime investment but I believe that any strap should be decent, and a recovery strap should be a nice strap due to the dynamic forces involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom