Zinc Electro-plating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

avicenna110

SILVER Star
Threads
Background/Motivation:

I didn't see a write-up/discussion on this, so I thought I would start one. I am a beginner at this, so I am hoping others with more experience can contribute to this. I didn't know much about this process before my build. Our FJ40's are all getting rusty so we all face this issue of rust removal/prevention. There are many options out there, but for some parts, especially hardware like screws/nut/bolts you can't really do anything better than plating. There are other options when everything is put together, like painting over everything, but personally I am not a big fan of that. This itself is a topic of conversation, so I will stop here and others can chime in.

Safety:

when dealing with chemicals always wear gloves, eye protection and a good proper mask. If possible leave workshop/garage door open when working.

The Process:

The process is quite simple, you have two electrodes connected to a power supply in a solution, a thin layer is transferred from your Zinc anode/positive electrode to the cathode/negative electrode, which in this case is the metal you're plating. Other metals can be used such and Nickel and Copper. So the essentials are the following:

- Power supply: I bought mine from amazon for ~$70. I needed a power supply for my garage anyways so I didn't mind this. You can also plate with old adapters, but I haven't tried this myself.
- White vinegar: 5% distilled water, bought 2 gallons from Costco for ~$5 and it's more than enough.
- Salt: to increase conductivity, I don't know the benefit of one kind over the other, so if you do please leave a comment.
- Zinc strips: you can buy Zinc plating strips for a few bucks to start off, or just buy a roll of Zinc roofing strips that are much cheaper per foot. I bought 50 feet for ~$30 and it will last a long time
- Other things: alligator clips, bare copper wires, buckets, degreaser, distilled water.
- Optional: aquarium bubbler, yellow chromate (more on this later)

this is my power supply:

IMG_7713.jpeg

my Zinc roll:

IMG_7712.jpeg

and the solution mixed (white vinegar + salt) in a bucket.

IMG_7715.jpeg

and the aquarium fish bubbler, which again is optional, this way I don't have to stir the solution every once in a while:

IMG_7714.jpeg

This is the setup: I cut two Zinc strips, dipped in on either side of the bucket and connected together by a wire then connected to the positive of the power supply. Negative is connected to a bare copper wire which the part is hanging from in the solution.

IMG_7716.jpeg

IMG_7717.jpeg

For a few bolts and screws start with 1 amps. The amount of current needed is a function of the surface area, but generally more current plates faster. I've read different answers on the recommended amps per square feet and am experimenting myself so I haven't mastered this part yet. Good thing is that you can tell when your part is plated.

You'll see bubbles coming off the part you're plating. Let it go until you see the part becoming grey (takes between 20-40 min depending on the current). This is the result of plating (just the bottom portion of the part):

IMG_7469.jpeg

Only the portion of the part that is dipped in the solution will get plated, and the area to be plated needs to be exposed to the solution so masking will prevent plating. Masking removed:

IMG_7470.jpeg

Zinc is very easy to polish, I use fine steel wool and in seconds you get this:

IMG_7471.jpeg

and you're done, the piece is now Zinc plated.

The yellow color that you usually see is not from Zinc plating itself since Zinc is a bright silverish color. The yellow color comes from dipping the part in yellow chromate solution that happens after.

Last edited:
Additional Details:

The part that you want to plate needs to be completely clean, with no rust/pain/grease whatsoever. This is actually the most time consuming part of the process. If you have a sandblaster you're golden. I don't so my process is usually a mixture of wire wheel and evaporust. To degrease I use acetone and oil eater. After initial degreasing I use two spray bottles, one for oil eater and the other for distilled water. Use plenty of distiller water and make sure the part is clean before plating.

Here is another sample part all cleaned up:

IMG_7605.jpeg

Plated and polished:

IMG_7644.jpeg

then degreased again, sprayed with distiller water and dipped in yellow chromate for about 30 seconds:

IMG_7645.jpeg

IMG_7646.jpeg

The part is taken out, sprayed with distilled water and hung to dry. This is the final results:

IMG_7730.jpeg

and the other piece (grease valve for center arm)

IMG_7650.jpeg

the yellow chromate solution I am using is from Caswell for ~$40 and I am happy with it.

Last edited:
Additional Consideration:

if only a portion of the part is dipped in the solution to plate, the other part of the piece will rust very quickly. This is because of vinegar and salt. Here is an example of this on a test piece:

IMG_7472.jpeg
IMG_7481.jpeg

the same piece re-plated:

IMG_7567.jpeg
IMG_7566.jpeg

Rust can be harder to remove when you plate something like this:

IMG_7572.jpeg

but the results are worth it:

IMG_7669.jpeg

IMG_7591.jpeg

and all put together:

IMG_7690.jpeg
IMG_7691.jpeg

Last edited:
couple of more good plating:

IMG_7724.jpeg
IMG_7658.jpeg

Failed Attempts:

I'd say my success rate is about 85%. Sometimes the part is either not completely clean of rust, or grease prior to plating. And other times, after plating and polishing the yellow chromate doesn't stick to the part well, or has a darker color. I've discovered that if you're using acetone to clean the parts, you have to really make sure there is no residues left on the part. And after it's all done and you leave the part to dry for a bit you can usually see the portions you didn't do a good job with as the un-plated/exposed metal rusts pretty quickly as seen below.

dull yellow chromate:

IMG_7722.jpeg

unsuccessful plating:

IMG_7720.jpeg

IMG_7721.jpeg

in the last two pictures above there are two reasons (that I know of) the piece didn't plate well: 1- not cleaning the part well and 2- I haven't had luck with hard-to-reach areas of the part getting plating. By this I mean it seems that the portions that are not in direct line of sight with the electrodes don't get plated. So any inner piece of an object doesn't get plated in my experience. I've tried rotating the part but so far have not had any success. If you guys know more please leave comments below.

Last edited:
I commend you for taking on this challenge. Yellow zinc on cleaned up parts is a great value to a restoration or even just fixing stuff. I however have a plating company not to far from me that will plate over 100lbs for $70.00. I'd rather spend that on a box full of hardware than struggle with the learning curve.

Again... Kudos.

What a write up! My 4/72 FJ40 is over the hill from you in Santa Cruz a block from the pacific ocean. Even though my vehicle is garaged most of the time, I still fight with rust. I may give this a try. Is the zinc coating process a fume generating thing?

I commend you for taking on this challenge. Yellow zinc on cleaned up parts is a great value to a restoration or even just fixing stuff. I however have a plating company not to far from me that will plate over 100lbs for $70.00. I'd rather spend that on a box full of hardware than struggle with the learning curve.

Again... Kudos.
that’s a great resource to have nearby, I’m sure they charge and arm and a leg near me but I know they will do a better job than me. The reason outsourcing it wasn’t option for me at this time was for two reasons:

- I’m taking my time and doing one component of the car at a time, so I can manage small batches.

- this way I can plate portions of a piece, like the end of the steering worm, or where the pitman arm goes. I’m sure if you ask a plating company to do this they would but probably at a higher cost.

What a write up! My 4/72 FJ40 is over the hill from you in Santa Cruz a block from the pacific ocean. Even though my vehicle is garaged most of the time, I still fight with rust. I may give this a try. Is the zinc coating process a fume generating thing?
Oh cool, you’re near by. One day I hope I can have a complete car and make it over the mountain 😀

And thanks for reminding me about fumes and safety in general I will add a comment above. The Zinc plating itself doesn’t generate fumes as far as I know, but I do leave the garage door open always. The yellow chromate solution however is a nasty chemical (although looks pretty), so gloves/mask/eye protection is a must. There is a step that I skipped, and it is optional, and that is dipping the part in Muriatic acid just before plating to etch the part and get rid of any flash rust. You definitely wanna do this outside if you can as the fumes will hit you pretty hard. I usually skip it though and haven’t really noticed any degradation in the results.

Zinc will cold weld easily, you may never get that pitman arm off again.
Thanks for the tip. But it also melts easily, so I’m sure it won’t be more difficult (if not easier) than the rusty one I just pulled off. I still prefer a non rusty pretty looking one.

But I’m curious, shouldn’t your point be valid about every single bolt and screw on the car? They’re all Zinc plated…

They are not all tapered splines under a great deal of compression.
Got it, thanks for pointing out something I didn’t know about. I will read up on it a bit. The Zinc layer in electro plating is very thin ( in microns) so I wouldn’t have thought it could potentially lead to cold welding and making it difficult to take things apart.

I am hoping I don’t have to take off the pitman arm anytime soon (leaving that next struggle to my son when he grows up) but meanwhile is there something I can do to reduce the likelihood of it ceasing? Like anti-cease or grease?

that’s a great resource to have nearby, I’m sure they charge and arm and a leg near me but I know they will do a better job than me. The reason outsourcing it wasn’t option for me at this time was for two reasons:

- I’m taking my time and doing one component of the car at a time, so I can manage small batches.

- this way I can plate portions of a piece, like the end of the steering worm, or where the pitman arm goes. I’m sure if you ask a plating company to do this they would but probably at a higher cost.
Interesting this came up, as I'm am planning the exact thing. Restoring the old lightly rusted fasteners a small batch at a time. I think the closest plating shop is about 3 hours away. Then I would have to try and sort all the fasteners to their proper application. Great job.

What a fantastic write-up, thanks for this!

Like you, I want the ability to do this for myself for small batches I do little odds and ends on my Troopy. It's great to take 100lbs of hardware/parts in all at once, but I can't tear the whole Troopy down all at once at this point.

Interesting this came up, as I'm am planning the exact thing. Restoring the old lightly rusted fasteners a small batch at a time. I think the closest plating shop is about 3 hours away. Then I would have to try and sort all the fasteners to their proper application. Great job.
What a fantastic write-up, thanks for this!

Like you, I want the ability to do this for myself for small batches I do little odds and ends on my Troopy. It's great to take 100lbs of hardware/parts in all at once, but I can't tear the whole Troopy down all at once at this point.

I have the car disassembled and everything in ziplocks and only take small batches at a time but still somehow mix things up and have to look at my videos of the disassembly. So yeah I completely agree, putting the hw all in a bundle would not work for me either.

View attachment 2863851

View attachment 2863852

zinc plated some parts for the 3FE, I used a heater in the chromate bath to help it work better.
Very nice and very consistent color. Your bucket/container must be very big. I thought about using a plastic concrete mixing tub for the big pieces but haven’t got there yet.

I got a cheap aquarium heater to use with black chromate but haven’t used it with yellow chromate yet. I will give it a try.

View attachment 2863851

View attachment 2863852

zinc plated some parts for the 3FE, I used a heater in the chromate bath to help it work better.
Beautiful job! The yellow chromate looks great and is correct for many parts, if that is your thing. I'm sure if it is a Concourse restoration that won't be subjected to weather like a daily driver, it will be just fine. I am looking for a little more protection, however, and leaning toward nickel plating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom