You're Invited: Azlca November Run: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Come on out and joing the AZLCA for their November run to Chiva Falls. If we get a really good turnout I plan on writing a comprehensive report to submit to Toyota Trails (reading this Todd? :eek: ). Heck, if it's good enough we might get some AZ Press? Details are at this site and below. http://www.azlca.net/event/chivafalls04.htm

Trip Leader: John and Becky Shotts
Date: November 13, 2004
Meeting Place: CircleK on Reddington Road (directions below)(look for us in the 100)
Meeting Time: 9:30 AM with drop dead pullout at 10AM (this should allows for Phoenix travel time.)
Pullout Time: 9:15 am
CB Channel: TBD
Rating: 3+ (3.5-4+ if bypasses are not taken. There are many optional paths.)
Brush: None on 90% of the trail, very little the other 10%, some tightness if we run to the 3 Pools.

Travel time: 4-6 hours depending how much fun we decide to have. There are many play places.

If we get a great turnout of Cruisers for this run, I plan on writing a comprehensive story of the trip and will submit it to Toyota Trails for their magazine. I'm hoping to see all types of Cruisers, 40-100 as well as Toyota pickups/etc should any
show.
Details: Chiva Falls is represented in the Well's book fairly accurately except for the spelling of it's name. It's Chiva,
not Chivo (PIC 576). The run can be completed in any stock Cruiser though lifts and lockers will provide you with the
option of running those really challenging spots. The road is rocky in places and the obstacles consist of steep
grades, large ledges, straddling large rocks, and the like. Last weekend, the run was funner than ever. Those heavy
rains made some washouts even washier (is that a word?). In fact, climbing out of Three Feathers we locked up the
100 F&R and took the optional difficult path straight up. The holes have been dug so deep we felt like we were on a
roller coaster leaning side-to-side and aiming for the sky. Where's the video? (PIC FLEX AT...) Didn't get one. Errr!

There are 3 "main" obstacles on the run. They are:

1. Three Feathers...Near the start, you must select YOUR way downhill (then re-decide your way up on the way
back). Choose from the far right (for highly modified SWB rigs like 40's), or the right (easiest, it's a 12-18-inch ledge
and OK for stock)(PIC Pc27...), left (very difficult, for LWB rigs only with exceptional flex), or the far left crack called
The Chute (moderate to difficult though very risky if you make an error).

2. Long and very steep downhill (then uphill coming back). Pretty good pucker factor though open diff rigs can climb
out.

3. Loop turn-around at the road's end (at the actual Falls). Usually we park 1/4 mile from the Falls and walk in. If you
like you can drive in and negotiate this loop. It requires lockers and a LWB is recommended (I've seen Jeeps roll
backwards here). I've taken this loop several times in the 80 and without a problem. This is the only obstacle I
recommend a 100 not try (bumpers overhang a tad too far and you'd smack 'em). (PIC 571)

We'll have lunch at either the Tanque Verde Wash (PIC DUNK)(often running and deep after rains/snows) or the Falls depending on our speed. If the Wash is running and time's permitting we'll pop over to the 3 Pools (a popular
swimming area....hiking to the swimming pools). Some interesting 4-wheeling can be had at the actual Pools
too, especially wicked if wet)(PIC DSC...).

Directions to the meeting place: I-10 to Grant Road, exit and turn East onto Grant. Take Grant for about 15 minutes
until it makes a right-ish sweeping turn. Stay left around this "curve" as you'll be turning left onto Tanque Verde.
After turning onto Tanque Verde you begin by heading North then the road sweeps to an Easterly direction. Stay
left at the first Y (heading towards Mt. Lemmon up and over an overpass), then go RIGHT at the next Y onto
Reddington Road (McDonalds is there on the left right after the Y). Follow Reddington Road for about 5 minutes
and you'll see the CircleK on the left side. Meet here. My cell phone is 520-975-1723.

I've enclosed some recent pics from Chiva. Hope to see many out here for this run! Let's have fun AND get the AZLCA in print too!

John and Becky Shotts

(PIC FLEX AT...) Didn't get one. Errr!

thats because i wasnt there, you only take tire lifting pics :)

this sounds nice, CHIVA has been on my list but i have yet to run it. and i havent had the ol' pig in tucson in a while.

Yep. That's the start of the tougher and steeper climb up Three Feathers. Huges holes on both sides make it more difficult. Here's another shot about 1/3 the way up (still before the hard part). In the foreground....lower left...is the easiest path up via that 18-inch ledge (final pic):

There is so much fun on Chiva that we go out twice a month in the cooler months. Never get tired. COME ON DOWN 40's 55's and 60's...we need ya. I know 80's and a 100 will be there. Come on classics! :)

Man I shoulda went down there. I've never been able to see the falls fall. One time it was kinda drizzling but not like that. Nice pics!

SORRY EVERYBODY FORTHE LONGGGG DELAY. I USALLY GET RECAPS OUT RIGHT AWAY BUT I'VE BEEN SLAMMED AT WORK! HERE'S A SHORT RECAP. YOU CAN ALSO FIND PICTURES THAT KEVIN POSTED AS WELL AS NEW ONE'S I POSTED AT THE WEBSITE IN THE RECAP. I NEVER WAS ABLE TO UPLOAD VIDEOS. (Too bad)

http://www.trailertrashaerospace.com/Cruiser/chiva_falls.htm The other is found here: http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/default.aspx?f=10&m=14964 The home page is: http://www.4wdtrips.net/ Click DISCUSSION, then select the run.

November 13th was an awesome day for all who attended this run. The weather was perfect, we had an AWESOME turn out, and there were no major trail casuaties. Many of us made new friends during the run AND after at Lil Abner's Steakhouse (for dinner and ). Here's the vehicle list:

John and Rebecca Shotts (us) in our UZJ100
Chip and Nancy in their FZJ80
Walt Philips and Tammy (and James) in Walt's (no Tammy...it's not yours) FZJ80
Kevin and Kyle in Kevin's LX450
Steve and his mountain biking buddy (rats, I didn't get his name) in Steve's FJ60
Dave and Darci in their 60
Joshua and Sara in their 40
Derek in his SAS Tacoma (which I named "Monster Taco")
Rob in his 4Runner
Sterling and Jackie in thier Jeep Cherokee
Marty and Chuck both brought their Jeep Wranglers

So as you see, that's 11 rigs with technology spanning 30+ years between the classic 40 and V8-powered 100. Overall, everybody seemed to be comfortable in picking their own paths through the trail. Chivo Falls is one of those trail types that offers several challenging spots for the aggressive and those milder bypasses for the stock rigs.

The first in the group to show their tostesterone was Sterling in his XJ. He went down the Chute at Three Feathers. He actually did quite well thanks to all his suspension flex. Came away with a dinged up door was all. Then Derek and his SAS Taco made short work of the Chute. I think Derek was hoping it'd be about 10 feet deeper ( ), but not today.

We had lunch at the Tanque Verde Wash. Got a great picture of everybody checking out Josh and Sara's 40. (Looks like a guy thing, huh?

There were 3 extra brave drivers who drove back and did the loop ledge at The Falls. Walt, Chuck, and Kevin. Then Derek played with his Monster Taco in the wedgie nearby the falls. Notice in his picture that the thing didn't sqeeze through the wedgie, but rather drove OVER it. What a beast! (The Taco too )

On the way out is was back to Three Feathers for play. Most went up the tougher center path. Monster Taco went up the hardest left side. The rest poked up the easier ledge. We posed for a group photo and home (or to dinner) we all went.

It was a special trip for Becky and me in the 100 on this day too. We've been running the beast pretty hard while leaving our 80 parked in the drive. That's changing. The 100's gonna be retired from the 3.5 and up trails for awhile. We're gettin' the 80 back out there and on a regular basis. After all, the 80 is a bit more capable than the 100 and is a better match for these risky trails. We figure overall the 80 will be MORE fun on these tougher trails and after all......isn't what this sport is all about?

MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE who turned out for this run. I know this recap's a bit on the short side, but after a 2 week delay in writing it (at my age) the memory goes........ .

Hope to see you all out there again soon. Here's some pictures from Chivo. Videos are coming next.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John and Rebecca Shotts
Tucson, AZ

2001 Toyota Land Cruiser (UZJ100)
OME lift and custom IFS lift for 3-inches
315x75-16 BFG AT KO's (35-inch)
ARB Sahara Bar and front and rear lockers
Warn M8000i winch

1993 Toyota Land Cruiser (FZJ80)
OME+ lift for 4-inches
315x75-16 BFG MT KM's (35-inch)

2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
(stock)

Protected by Polesoft Lockspam

Azlca

I didn't know there was a Cruiser club in Arizona. I live in Tucson and would like some more info on the club. I just ran Chivo Falls and Three Feathers last weekend. The falls are really going with all the rain.

Hey all, I live down here in Tucson and I run Chiva a lot. Just an FYI, somebody recently graded out that road pretty good. You can pretty much make the falls in 2WD now. You can still find a few harder lines to take but is getting really popular now with all the bypasses. Still a beautiful drive when the water is flowing, and right now it is GREEN! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom