Yet another '73 engine swap question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an '86 FJ73 with an old, tired, leaky and thirsty 3F in it.
I'm tossing up between rebuilding it myself (I'm in my 30's now and can't be bothered anymore to be honest), getting a reconditioned motor, or doing a total engine swap.
Looking through the forums I see the 13BT mentioned a few times and just want to confirm that this is a direct swap with it mating up to everything else (motor mounts, bell housing etc).
If this is the case then this seems like the ideal swap.
Anything else I need to consider or is there another preferred engine swap?
Cheers,
Jim

Hi Jim and welcome.

I take it that you have a H55f 5 speed.

13B-T is good Turboed

1HZ is better in the fact that there are lots of parts available Non turbo

Input shaft ?

See, if you had asked me those questions about a Ducati then I would have been able to help you but this is my first Toyota and my first 4x4.
I have no idea on spline counts of shafts or what my gearbox is, that's why I came here :)
It's whatever 5 speed gearbox came in that year tied behind a 3F, any way to confirm what it is by eyeballing it?
I like the idea of a 1HZ, will that fit with minimal messing around?

I have the 1hz. I'm pretty sure you'll have to move Mounts for the 1hz and 13bt. Not all that difficult. The h55 tranny bolts up to the 3fe, 13bt, 3b, and 1hz.

Not sure what the output shaft issues are.

The H55F input shafts fall into 3 basic categories - F (gasser) and H series diesels (short, 6 spline), then there's the B series that use a long 21 spline (B, 2B, 3B, 13B, 13BT etc), and then there are the 1PZ, 1HZ, 1HDT version that is intermediate in length and 21 spline.

You will more than likely have to fit new engine mounts, a new input shaft (at least) and do a fair bit of fitting and fabrication to make this work. The 13BT is not generally an inexpensive option to buy used. It would be best to try and get a complete vehicle so that you have all of the small parts to work with. Also, most of the 13Bts that are around are going to be 24V, so you're going to have to do some converting.

~John

what is your budget?
cheapest and easiest will be rebuilding what you have.
if you are going to swap then swap in an engine that you will have parts source for the next decade.

are you doing the grunt work or hiring it out? if you are doing the work then a swap might be concievable, if you are hiring it out then sit down and re-evaluate.

i love the 1HZ/1PZ
the older B/H series engines are very tough but parts are getting harder to find and will be in greater obsolete numbers quicker sooner
nothing wrong with the gasser engine. I have a 3F and if you can keep your foot out of it then it returns decent mileage.

comes down to budget, time and desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom