Builds Yellow Unicorn!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Eco 45

Can you show us , where the sensor for the oil temp is located in the engine ? I would like to add an oil temp gauge to my HZJ75 , HZJ80 & HDJ80 , but never managed to see where the sensor should be placed .
Thank you so much !

Portcruiser

On one of the trucks it is in a "T" with the oil pressure gauge sender. I haven't had a chance yet to crawl under one of the other trucks to see if they are all the same.

Another interesting thing about this truck is that it actually has the factory rear floor, whereas most of the fire trucks have a modified floor for access to the pumps. (See the photos of two different Red trucks). For some reason the previous owner must not of liked the vinyl seating usually found in the fire trucks and took out both the front and rear seats and install some seats from a SWB BJ model 70 series. For now I am going to keep the front "turbo" seats, however I am going to switch the smaller rear seat out for a 76 series second row seat set as they are a bit wider and more comfortable.

IMG_7215.JPG

IMG_7217.JPG

IMG_7801.JPG

IMG_7216.JPG

Last edited:
Here is the new 76 series seat vs the old seat that came with the truck. I am contemplating adding shoulder belts, but this would require some major surgery to the C pillar internals to make them truly safe. All the fire trucks I have played with so far have only had lap belts in the rear. Another reason to remove the SWB 70 series seat is that the previous owner made a unique bracket to mount the chair holding it in place with 6mm bolts. Also not a fan of carpet in trucks so going to replace it with a new takeout 76 series vinyl flooring.

IMG_7218.JPG

IMG_7220.JPG

IMG_7219.JPG

IMG_7221.JPG

Started pulling more parts off the truck. Gone is the Toyota exhaust and the old suspension is starting to come apart. And the frame is cleaning up nicely.

IMG_7224.JPG

IMG_7225.JPG

Rear frame has been stripped and painted. Was able to pull the low mileage OME suspension off the other 75 series so getting ready to put the rear springs back on and then the fuel tank. Nice little comparison of the factory shocks to OME shocks. Had a few small parts powder coated. Got several parts from Cruiser Outfitters. As a note depending on location and year the rear spring pins come in different sizes for the diameter of the large outer hole in the frame.

IMG_7283.JPG

IMG_7284.JPG

IMG_7285.JPG

Reactions: Gus
Too bad this one is a 2000....

Beautiful truck!

In your first post it looks like there is a fresh compressor and lines not attache din the engine bay, are you installing factory AC in the truck?

The previous owner had started to install a/c but never finished the job. Not a 100% factory but blowing nice and cold now.

Too bad this one is a 2000....

I know that truck well as I had a client up in Canada looking at it. Again it was a fire unit, the fire bed had been removed and then a small pickup bed was added from either a Toyota or Datsun. Neat looking rig and I do wish we didn't have to wait 25 years to enjoy it.

Some updates on the truck. OME springs installed in the rear, new fuel tank installed and I modified a 75 series sending unit to fit the tank. Made a custom Vitan gasket for the sending unit with the aid of a leather punch. A good leather punch does wonders for making gaskets and the many screw holes to secure it. Small distractions keep popping up that have slowed some of the progress. Like I enjoyed the drive from Toronto Canada so much in the 75 series truck I decided to try it in a 90's era G wagon. This time I only covered 2400 miles and to my defense the G wagon originated in Japan. As long as no other distractions jump up I should be able to make some good progress on the truck this next week.

IMG_7355.JPG

IMG_7356.JPG

IMG_7354.JPG

IMG_7346.JPG

Started switching out brake lines today to mainly SS lines. Also worked on converting the locked front hubs to Aisin units. And getting ready to do a minor face lift on the truck.

IMG_7381.JPG

IMG_7380.JPG

IMG_7379.JPG

Tried out some invisible springs, but the truck handled horribly. So install a set of OME springs on the front and had some parts powder coated in the process. Now sorting wiring out for the rear lights as whomever had done the fire body made quite a mess.

IMG_7389.JPG

IMG_7420.JPG

IMG_7421.JPG

IMG_7412.JPG

Even though the truck has less than 13,000 Km's on it I replaced the timing belt, tensioner and pulley for peace of mind not knowing the age of the belt on the engine. Also started removing an oil cooler that was mounted to the oil filter housing. Apparently after the truck was no longer a fire unit they crudely bypassed this unit.

IMG_7455.JPG

IMG_7456.JPG

IMG_7457.JPG

Sometimes it does come down to the length of the tool to get the job done right! (factory 1HZ oil filter retainer is on the left)
Not to mention removing the oil cooler under the oil filter eliminated two additional O rings that could have leaked.

IMG_7491.JPG

IMG_7493.JPG

IMG_7492.JPG

Couldn't find the exact fit universal filler neck for the flat bed so decided to modify one that was close enough. Also had some small LED lights kicking around the shop so decided they would work well as backup lights.

IMG_7494.JPG

IMG_7495.JPG

IMG_7496.JPG

Did the original yellow box have a dump feature? Looks like there was a release latch by the cab.

No it had a simple ute bed where all three sides could be folded down. One of the side releases is what you might have seen by the cab.

Last edited:
Still jumping on this project when time allows. Rear seat is mounted and I actually have the drawer system bolted down too but only photo of the seat today.

IMG_7531.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom