Years that wiring harness changes for FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on sourcing an extra wiring harness for my 1980 FJ40 so we can replace some of the damaged runs. I've found several used harnesses, but am a bit skeptical buying a harness without knowing the year. I've referenced many of the resources on MUD and am looking for a second opinion as I'm somewhat of a newbie to the electrical side of things. I'm able to source a harness from a 1976 and possibly a 1979 FJ40 and want to know if this will match up to a 1980 FJ harness (Pre 8/80). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Suspect 1979 harness comes close to dropping in. Might have to use original harness for patch.

I would figure out the part number of the harness that you have/what you want.
You may get lucky and find the white label taped to the harness.

You may have a 'window' of wiring harnesses that are 'close' but Toyota was changing little things frequently with these trucks and to assume that a front harness from a 1978 or 1979 would be plug and play would likely lead you to modifying a harness, which, I am assuming, is what you are trying to avoid.

Rear harness for the 1976 is not compatible with the 1980, and the front harness would definitely not be compatible.

1979-1984 is what you should focus on.

Figure out the part number of your front and rear harnesses and start searching for them.

Figure out the other part numbers for year/month breaks on both sides and figure out what months they cover.

01/79-07/80 is likely one front/engine/cowl harness
08/80-10/81 is likely a different front/engine/cowl harness
10/81-10/82 is likely a different front/engine/cowl harness

Good luck.

I bought a 79/80 wiring diagram from SOR. It is three pages. Believe those two years are as close to each other as you will get. Years ago I purchased 80 wiring harness for any repairs needed for my 79. That was the closest I got for any of my FJ40s. For my 68 and 70 have a 71 that really not that close be better than a after market harness. My 65 truck will get a 78 harness because I have a complete and almost complete one of those.

I would figure out the part number of the harness that you have/what you want.
You may get lucky and find the white label taped to the harness.

You may have a 'window' of wiring harnesses that are 'close' but Toyota was changing little things frequently with these trucks and to assume that a front harness from a 1978 or 1979 would be plug and play would likely lead you to modifying a harness, which, I am assuming, is what you are trying to avoid.

Rear harness for the 1976 is not compatible with the 1980, and the front harness would definitely not be compatible.

1979-1984 is what you should focus on.

Figure out the part number of your front and rear harnesses and start searching for them.

Figure out the other part numbers for year/month breaks on both sides and figure out what months they cover.

01/79-07/80 is likely one front/engine/cowl harness
08/80-10/81 is likely a different front/engine/cowl harness
10/81-10/82 is likely a different front/engine/cowl harness

Good luck.

I have a wiring harness that came with a project rig I bought, but I am not going to use it. Have a guy looking at buying it, but he wanted to know for sure on the vintage. You mentioned a white label taped to the harness. I have one and will try to attach it. Can you tell me what it says. I was told that it was for a 79 FJ40. Thanks

wiring harness.jpg

Looks like it is a sub-harness for the chassis, specifically, for the emergency brake switch, most likely the rear heater and seat belt switch for a 01/79-06/80 only.

The rear chassis harness was a 82420-90335 for the same 01/79-06/80 only.

Thanks.!

The guys are right--you'll likely never find the exact plug-n-play harness for your specific vehicle, so be prepared to add/subtract certain wires and connectors to make a perfect match. You can contact Coolerman, the resident expert, but please know that most all of the 40-series Land Cruisers out there have unused wires and connectors within their wiring looms--and that's coming directly from the factory.

As Poser said, Toyota was making changes continually to satisfy different markets, laws, and regulations. Hunting-down the original loom/sub-loom will consume a lot of your time, and remember the paper wrappers on the original looms weren't intended to be a lasting item, and are probably missing by now. You can get many of the correct connectors, terminals, and even the striped wire, and if properly done, could fool most concours judges, if a 100% restoration is your intent.

Coolerman has the best compilation of schematics and wiring diagrams/harnesses of anybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom