Yaesu FT-8800R Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We're just talking about the beep that happens when the radio is scanning, changing freq., etc. It is not tied to the volume control at all. So....even when the volume is lower for headphone use, the beeps the radio puts out are mega loud.

I know the beep you are talking about. When accidentally on, the only ones that can hear it are on the transmission recieve side. It took a little bit at the start to figure out what was going on with the Wires stuff.

I noticed that that beep is played on the radio's built in speaker as well as the remote speaker.

Alvaro

There must be a menu feature for the scan beep because on my 8800 there is no scan beep and that means I must have disabled it from day one.

-mg

About two weeks ago, I installed a Yaesu FT-8800 radio on my Cruiser. One of the nice things about the install is that the head unit of the radio is up by the rearview mirror. While the radio itself it’s under the driver’s seat. To make the radio audible, I used the left factory dash speaker as the FT-8000 speaker. It sounded great.... Until I was driving down the road and the little speaker could not overcome the road noise. Specially my tires. The faster I went, the less I could hear.
The little speaker is 4Ω. The radio calls for a 8Ω speaker.
2speakers.jpg

The solution was pretty simple. Get a good 8Ω speaker 4” or less in diameter.
So I looked online and found this speaker at All Electronics Corp - Parts, Supplies and Components. A couple of days latter it came in the mail and I tried to install it. The speaker was too big.
The metal plate behind the dashboard needed to be modified so that the speaker would fit. I removed the plate and yesterday I took it to the office. Gene, my coworker looked at it and said no problem. Today, Genes showed up with the modified metal plate. He had to grind off about 1/8 of an inch around. Plus he drilled additional holes, so I could secure the new speaker with nuts and bolts.

mountedspeaker.jpg

This evening all I did was assemble. It went in really easy.
Then I tuned to some repeaters. Now it sounds like it always should. Nice, clear and crisp. But must important, it sounds natural.

More pics of the radio install and new speaker here

Are there good quick connects for 2M antennas? or would you just unscrew it and cap it when you don't want it on?

As I understand it, the K400 lets the antenna just screw into it, what is the security of that ? Reefing it super tight? Wondering if anyone has a Quick COnnect in between the mount and the antenna so it doesn't dissappear mysteriously. (I don't have a garage that accepts the girth of my rig)

Paul,

I have a little rubber antenna (SBB1) on. People are not generally attracted to it. But if I feel that it would not be safe, I'd just unscrew it and store it inside the car.
It takes about 20 seconds to screw/unscrew.

Regards

Alvaro

Are there good quick connects for 2M antennas? or would you just unscrew it and cap it when you don't want it on?

As I understand it, the K400 lets the antenna just screw into it, what is the security of that ? Reefing it super tight? Wondering if anyone has a Quick COnnect in between the mount and the antenna so it doesn't dissappear mysteriously. (I don't have a garage that accepts the girth of my rig)

I don't think there's a huge market for stolen ham radio antennas. I'm sure it happens but I haven't heard of any antennas walking away. You wouldn't want to tighen it too much as you will damage the threads before you got it tight enough to do any good. As Alvarorb stated it takes no time at all to just unscrew the antenna itself. They do have quick fold down antennas but it's only for laying down the antenna to fit in a garage or other low hanging place.
With the NMO mount, which is what I use whenever possible you do need to cap the base when not in use in inclement weather, especially if a through the roof mount. The center of the mount is not weather rated. Caps are cheap to buy. I'm in AZ so it's not a big deal. I kind of use my SBB-1 as a cap. I usually swap it out for my larger antenna when going on longer trips/outings. I like having the SBB-1 as a "cap" as transmitting without an antenna (if done accidentally) can do damage to your radio. I know a couple people who have burned out their finals when they transmitted thinking the antenna was installed when only a cap was on.

The SBB-1 is only a 1/4 wave on 2 meter and therefore has issues with ground plane (or the lack thereof) using the K400 (which I use on the FJ40). There is quite a big difference between my 1/2 wave dual band antenna and the SBB-1 on distant repeaters and longer simplex shots. Shorter stuff it works just fine.

I have found that grounding the mount to the frame with braided unsheathed cable does help out the SBB-1 quite a bit.

As I understand it, the K400 lets the antenna just screw into it, what is the security of that ? Reefing it super tight?

I don't think there's a huge market for stolen ham radio antennas. I'm sure it happens but I haven't heard of any antennas walking away.

I have the the diamond K-mount with a fold over antenna that screws on. I have one on the cruiser and my saab and just move the antenna between vehicles as needed. I live in SF and just leave it on the car 24/7 for the past year or so with no problems. I don't think people even notice. I used to take it off when I first put it on but now only if I park the car on the street and leave town for a few days do I take it off and cap it. Antenna theft has not been an issue yet.

-mg

I've decided to upgrade my radio on my 80. I'd been wanting a dual bander for a while, plus the location where the FT-2800 was installed was not very "Poquita" friendly. She would step over the controls and change the frequency or turn the radio off completely. Plus the sound coming from the back is not always the best to understand.

With inspiration from FirstToy and Rick's installs. And the help of Ken Dean, I pull it off.
Here are some pics of the install:

FT-8800 Install

I am in the process of doing a similar install and came up with a question. I have the separation kit to remote the 8800R's faceplate, but how do i also remote the Mic? Meaning the faceplate will be up by the rear view mirror as Alvarob did, so i do i get the mic remoted and not hanging down from the mirror?

Any quidance would be appreciated!

See where the Mic plugs into the side of the remote? Plug in a telephone cord there and then route it around to where you want to place the mic. Use a RJ-11 connector that allows you to connect two RJ-11 male ends together. Plug in the tele cord on one side and your Mic cord into the other side.

SoCal,

You'll need to make your own cable or buy one from Yaesu. I made my own. It just takes a 3 pair cable and two RJ-12 connectors. They are NOT RJ11.

I found this info online regarding the difference between RJ11 and RJ12.

1. RJ11 and RJ12 wiring uses the same six slot connector
2. RJ11 and RJ12 only differs in the wiring
3. RJ12 utilizes all six slots while RJ11 only uses four of the six available slots
4. RJ11 and RJ12 are commonly used for telephone systems with RJ12 being used in different configurations

If you buy a pre-made phone cable, it may not work because it may not be wired correctly.

Regards

Alvaro

I am in the process of doing a similar install and came up with a question. I have the separation kit to remote the 8800R's faceplate, but how do i also remote the Mic? Meaning the faceplate will be up by the rear view mirror as Alvarob did, so i do i get the mic remoted and not hanging down from the mirror?

Any quidance would be appreciated!

Thank you for the inspiration and the help alvarob! As soon as i figured out that i was using a 4pin coupler/connector vs the 6pin i needed, all went well. I mounted it similar to yours and, ran the wires through the headliner, down the pillar and under the seat. Actually not that difficult, just time consuming.

Thank you again!
Sean

2448084760103476722S425x425Q85.jpg

SoCal,

You'll need to make your own cable or buy one from Yaesu. I made my own. It just takes a 3 pair cable and two RJ-12 connectors. They are NOT RJ11.

I found this info online regarding the difference between RJ11 and RJ12.

1. RJ11 and RJ12 wiring uses the same six slot connector
2. RJ11 and RJ12 only differs in the wiring
3. RJ12 utilizes all six slots while RJ11 only uses four of the six available slots
4. RJ11 and RJ12 are commonly used for telephone systems with RJ12 being used in different configurations

If you buy a pre-made phone cable, it may not work because it may not be wired correctly.

Regards

Alvaro

Looking good!
Now all you need is to program the radio.

Regards

Alvaro

Thank you for the inspiration and the help alvarob! As soon as i figured out that i was using a 4pin coupler/connector vs the 6pin i needed, all went well. I mounted it similar to yours and, ran the wires through the headliner, down the pillar and under the seat. Actually not that difficult, just time consuming.

Thank you again!
Sean

2448084760103476722S425x425Q85.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom