Y pipe questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

Several years ago I had to replace my exhaust Y-pipe because it had corroded at the joint. I had a local shop build me a stainless one figuring that, though expensive, it was much cheaper than the OEM one which you have to buy with the first inline cat attached. BTW, my rig is a '96 FZJ80. At the same time, I had a Borla cat-back system installed. After this, power was good but mileage was worse if anything. The Y-pipe fabrication sure ain't pretty, and, from what I can now tell he used 1 1/2" ID pipe for the 2 pipes that come together to from the 'Y'.

First, what is the ID of the OEM material? What suggestions do people have in terms of what pipe would be as good or better than OEM in terms of power/mileage? I suspect that I may have to build another one if I want to get decent mileage again...

Thanks!

John

and what is the material on the OEM downpipes?

Ali

I am no exhaust expert but it would seem to me that if you have someone willing to fab it, then using something like the Borla SS (T-304???) might be a good choice. Have them build several and sell them. I'm like Tank, I just had mine welded up by the migmeister. I don't know about the OEM ID.

Clarifications

Guys,

I was really asking about the pipe sizing and any particulars related to the fabrication which would maximize power and efficiency. The current piece is 304 stainless. I may or may not opt to spend that kind of money again considering that I live in central California and the truck has 174k on the ticker....

Thanks for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom