WVO system build questions (vehicle and centrifuge) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

With diesel prices in Calgary about $1.48 a litre, which is about $4.3 usd/gallon I think, WVO systems are getting sexy. My drive to work is 50km/day (30miles round trip)

The office i am at now has a ton of yard space, empty(surplus) fuel tanks over 1000l and is pretty much indifferent to me doing a WVO setup in there space. Also I have an acquaintance who is being paid to remove excess cooking oil from restraunts and has to pay disposal to get rid of it, so i can likely get it delivered for free.

My cruiser has a first gen Cummins, I have a secondary 80 litre auxiliary tank already

So my questions are thus:

• For building a centrifuge, (have access to welder and lathe etc) is there data to find minimum gravity/rotation speed /diameter for the rotating body? I'm an electrician and work with design/drafting/process, but I just need that info. Also, what post centrifuge filter (micron size) should I be using?

• I have a surplus EGR unit off a powerstroke, I think I could mod it and use it right off my main coolant loop at top of engine. It's stainless and should have more than enough volume for coolant and fuel., i want to use this and a temp gauge at the injectors. Any thoughts on this as a exchanger, and any thoughts on pushing both pump diesel and WVO through the same heating circuit full time? I read online that regular diesel fuel at 90c is ideal for efficiency.

• I don't know if I will need a hot fox style fuel line heater as well, not against it, but my intent is to run this on pump diesel till it warms up and then run on WVO. I'm happy to run some mix 30/70 or 50/50 or similar in cooler months and less WVO in winter, with more WVO in summer. the cruiser is garage kept and I'm thinking use 100% or close to pump diesel in main tank in winter, and maybe a mix 80wvo/20diesel in auxillary for winter, then mostly all diesel main tank in summer (maybe 80/20) and 100% wvo in auxillary. Based on this, is a FPHE usually enough or do you think I will need more heating? I will insulate injector lines.

• If I'm going by temp gauge right at injectors and aim for 150f, is that the best metric for turning on/off a WVO system for safety of coking etc?
I'd like to get the WVO filtration setup together soon, and start storing WVO, I can start adding fuel heaters, moving my valve solenoid etc later.

Thanks!

Edit, just working on gravity calc now, looks like 20,000 gravities is ideal?

Last edited:
How big will the centrifuge be?

Im not sure yet, actually thinking more about just buying one. Not sure on how to balance it effectively.

I have a 3/4hp 110vac 1080rpm fan motor at the shop. I've seen pictures of folks using torque converters with the tops cut off. But it looks like they can be a bit complicated for design.

Hey Cody, great post I'm currently debating on this process too because of fuel prices but leaning towards running WMO or just Strait Used ATF..
only issue I have is with gelling and cold temps.

was also considering a single tank WVO system using a boost pump, glowplug heat exchanger something like this system

I'm trying to lean towards simplicity if possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom