Would you save up for a BJ70 or BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

Would you save up for a BJ70 or a Bj73?

I might have found a cheap BJ70 but it definitely needs work.
It wouldn't be so bad if I bought it and over the next few years paid to get it back on the road.

Because I would eventually like to swap in an automatic transmission perhaps the BJ73 is the better route?
Crushers was kind enough to reply to my emails and said a auto tranny in a BJ70 is possible but would take lots of time and effort.

Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for your time/opinions!

Cheers,
Kevin H.

A 73/74 series is an all round better model. That extra 10 inches makes a big difference to ride comfort and storage. Nothing wrong with a 70 but a mid wheel base is easier to live with.
The FRP top doesn't rust and it has the replaceable windscreen frame.
I cant see the 70 being any harder to convert to auto than any other 7* series.I think its easier to convert a manual to auto than auto to manual.

Thanks guys for the thoughts!

RoscoFJ73, I knew about the extra 10 inchs and thus storage space is bigger, but how does ride comfort increase?
I'm a pretty vertically challenged guy so I'm not worried about leg length/reach.

Ahh yes, I never thought about the non rusting roof. What is the windscreen frame? The part that holds the rubber trim/windshield in place?
Are they harder to find for the BJ70?

Thanks again guys!
Cheers,
Kevin :)

Seems like @beno did, you could get a BJ70 with the fold down windshield but then no FRP top I am sure...just soft top?

Good point coldtaco!

Thanks FJ73Texas, maybe Beno will post some input.
May I ask what was the purpose of a folding windshield? Like what was it designed to achieve?
Though I wear glasses, I don't think I would feel safe driving around with things flying into my face hahah

1978HJ45, could you tell us more why you like the MWB better?

There is a mud member selling a SWB for a few thousand dollars I think. I called him, and the connection was bad and didn't hear him so well.
I know that sounds weird, but he also had an accent so I didn't want to offend him by asking him to continually repeat himself.
The body looks mostly rust free. The right read door at the top left corner looks gone from the low resolution photo.
He also said the frame needs work but he thinks it can be fixed or he'll throw in another frame.

Thanks so much guys for your time!
Cheers,
Kevin

May I ask what was the purpose of a folding windshield? Like what was it designed to achieve?
Though I wear glasses, I don't think I would feel safe driving around with things flying into my face hahah

Kevin

Many reasons. For the mining companies its an easily replaceable part. In the military it may come off or be folded down for small cannons or machine guns.
This is mainly for the LWB 75 series ,but the 73/74 shares the same front.
Originally the landcruiser was similar to a ww2 jeep.

IMG_0078.JPG

Bj-70 came in a soft top with fold down windshield, but no hard top for it. Reason for fold down windshield? Probably for the guys that like to have the open air feel while driving slow, like in Africa?

BJ70's came in hardtop as well.

Bj-70 came in a soft top with fold down windshield, but no hard top for it. Reason for fold down windshield? Probably for the guys that like to have the open air feel while driving slow, like in Africa?

Personally when I think hard top...I think permanent. FRP top which can be removed isn't the same thing as "hard top" to me. I have never heard of a BJ70 with a FRP top though so I am guessing the only two BJ70 options are "soft top with fold down windshield" or "hard top".

Personally when I think hard top...I think permanent. FRP top which can be removed isn't the same thing as "hard top" to me. I have never heard of a BJ70 with a FRP top though so I am guessing the only two BJ70 options are "soft top with fold down windshield" or "hard top".

Correct.

No 70 got a FRP top that I know of.

yes, unless you are Crushers who made his own FRP top for his soft top -70 :)

There is a mud member selling a SWB for a few thousand dollars I think. I called him, and the connection was bad and didn't hear him so well.
I know that sounds weird, but he also had an accent so I didn't want to offend him by asking him to continually repeat himself.
The body looks mostly rust free. The right read door at the top left corner looks gone from the low resolution photo.
He also said the frame needs work but he thinks it can be fixed or he'll throw in another frame.

Cheers,
Kevin

Link? Be careful with this one. I'd definitely look at it in person before buying. A newer paint job could be covering up problems, and a rotten frame is a big deal.

You asked why a longer wheel base would be more comfortable, and the reason is that it will have a less choppy ride. However, BJ70 rides just fine IMO. Shorter wheelbase doesn't allow as much length for retrofitting an automatic transmission, I guess. Rear driveshaft might have to be a real short, custom one.

yes, unless you are Crushers who made his own FRP top for his soft top -70 :)

I haven't seen that. Did he make a thread about it? It would be cool to see. :)

Good point coldtaco!

Thanks FJ73Texas, maybe Beno will post some input.

1978HJ45, could you tell us more why you like the MWB better?

Cheers,
Kevin
More interior space and the somewhat longer body just looked better in my opinion. The 13B-T would also be a plus.

Ok. I will wade through the mud to find it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom