Would you Buy This 78 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

there is a price point, under which tread plate is acceptable and over it tread plate becomes unacceptable...it is not a rigid point but depends on a lot of variables...however, $15K is well north of the point that having tread plate becomes not only unacceptable, but laughable to be asking that much.

Thank you for the reply.

Again same this I asked tstepp920. Can I hear your thoughts. It will really help me in the future to base my decisions.
It has all of the hallmarks of covering up rust in the cheapest way possible: aluminum bib, wrong blinker housing mounting holes, wrong blinker housings, diamond plate over rocker panels, diamond plate over rear quarters, rear c-channel has been replaced or jacked with, primer/texture over hood and hard top panels, missing amby doors (probably rusted out), Toyota emblem mounting holes are bondoed over on ps fender apron, etc. No telling what the engine and interior are like.

I’m not saying that it’s worthless, but I’d say it’s an $8k fj40 and only if it runs like a Swiss clock. You can find MUCH better for $15k.

Can I hear your thoughts. It will really help me in the future to base my decisions.
My reply was based on the question” Would you buy”. I would never buy 40 with an aluminum tub, or diamond plate or that had been significantly modified. I don't care for "cow pusher" bumpers and the wheels and tires are not for me. No one has commented on the turn signals on the front fenders so they may be correct I am not sure. I prefer a 40 that is stock or very close to stock. Even modifications need to be close to OEM. 15k is too much for something that will be dunked in mud holes or slammed around on rocks. I don't want a museum but I don't care for "trail rigs".

It has all of the hallmarks of covering up rust in the cheapest way possible: aluminum bib, wrong blinker housing mounting holes, wrong blinker housings, diamond plate over rocker panels, diamond plate over rear quarters, rear c-channel has been replaced or jacked with, primer/texture over hood and hard top panels, missing amby doors (probably rusted out), Toyota emblem mounting holes are bondoed over on ps fender apron, etc. No telling what the engine and interior are like.

I’m not saying that it’s worthless, but I’d say it’s an $8k fj40 and only if it runs like a Swiss clock. You can find MUCH better for $15k.

Thank you very much.
My reply was based on the question” Would you buy”. I would never buy 40 with an aluminum tub, or diamond plate or that had been significantly modified. I don't care for "cow pusher" bumpers and the wheels and tires are not for me. No one has commented on the turn signals on the front fenders so they may be correct I am not sure. I prefer a 40 that is stock or very close to stock. Even modifications need to be close to OEM. 15k is too much for something that will be dunked in mud holes or slammed around on rocks. I don't want a museum but I don't care for "trail rigs".

Thank you for your reply. cbmontgo did just mention the turn signals. I was unsure as well. I also didn't catch the holes being filled for the front emblems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom