Wooden Jack Stands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I could find the old ones my Great grandfather, grandfather ,uncle and father used to change the oil in their fleet trucks many moons ago it would scare the poo out of many :eek:
They were made from 2x8s were like tip up ramps , but did have a 2x2 stop to keep from driving off the end :rolleyes:

They were most likely made from the same wood and repaired like the POS ladders that would break at any time then when I got up off the ground when it broke I got yelled out for breaking it :confused:

Ah, I just came back to this thread. I assumed (you all know what 'assume' spells) that you wanted to construct a pair of jack stands out of wood similar in form to a metal jack stand. Yes, cribbing is acceptable if done correctly.

From the link Trollhole posted, cribbing is an acceptable way of supporting things.

But if you're thinking of nailing or bolting something together with the wood running vertical, I really wouldn't... You could properly engineer something with all the loads figured out and the stresses and all - but unless you're willing to do all that better to get some sturdy steel jackstands.

I've seen guys with huge lifts on their 4x4 use this method with 2x4s, as no jack stands were available in the height they needed. There is no reason why this would not be safe. The allowable tensile stress for fir or hemlock 2x4 is 925 psi. Now do the math...
Area = 1.5 * 3.5 = 5.25 in2

Pallowable = FT Area = 925 Area

Pallowable = 4856 pounds

So now all you have to worry about is keeping it stable. A platform like the one above will do the job. It looks like it is probably 2'x2'.

use proper bridge blocking technique. we support 260 tonne uclids at work with 12x12 blocks . if you have to block a shovel you would probably switch to iron wood instead of the basic soft wood . oak is great but its awfully heavy . same as iron wood .

i could supply pictures if needed

Not really needed, but I think it would be pretty sweet just to see.

Besides, have any of you ever seen a house or large structure moved, they use wood cribbing similar to the above to jack up and hold the house while they get it set for the steel beams.

Last edited:
I built a crib using 8 4x4x16" pieces. The top has three 2x4x16's and the center one is not screwed on but fits snug between the other two. I use it to give my bottle jack enough height to raise my plane to service the wheels. By removing the center piece I can easily lift it to move around. I also use it as a step stool.

Wooden shoring, as used in construction that badlander works just fine. I had to use wooden shoring to prevent a tanker truck from moving around when winching it down with 10 ton chains to the floor of a c-130 Hercules.

Now, for the cool idea, how about using bamboo. I would have to load test it on a hydraulic press before trying it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom