Wiring repair tips: EGR Burned 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like you should have a bit more space between the two.

Is the harness (black plastic section) still bolted to the firewall or has it drooped down?

Either way you could also put a heat sleeve (split velcro style) over the EGR tube for more protection.
It is still bolted there and has not drooped down.

I like the idea of putting a heat sleeve around the EGR.

See I want that level of clearance. That looks great. You must have removed the old harness wrapping to keep it that thin.
Remove old wrapping
Inspect wires

Through lots of my own personal experience and mud reading I prefer to:
*By once cry once
*Do it once do it right
*Plan jobs to hit all available access for parts and pm.

I'm still working on the third one a little bit... My axle regear, locker, refresh was a good example for me.... I planned it out, and did all of it's from bare metal. .

Just wanted to report my experience. I had blown my fusible link, and immediately blew new ones. used a temporary circuit breaker to track down the problem.. long story short, after going through all effing fuses and relays, under dash wiring, ignition switch, ect - it ended up being the #5 cyl injector harness wiring shorting out. We repaired it, fixed another questionable spot by #6, insulated and heat wrapped it, and bam, no more fuse/breaker blowing, and fired right up.

The next benefit.. the engine ran much smoother, at least 2 mpg improvement, and no more engine vibration over 3500rpm. it revs to 5k smoothly.. I had been driving like this for some time and since all ran reasonably well and never any hesitation, I just accepted it as it was.. now I realize #5 probably hasn't been firing since I bought it 2 years ago. WTF..

Just wanted to say thank you to this thread for helping me out.

Just wanted to report my experience. I had blown my fusible link, and immediately blew new ones. used a temporary circuit breaker to track down the problem.. long story short, after going through all effing fuses and relays, under dash wiring, ignition switch, ect - it ended up being the #5 cyl injector harness wiring shorting out. We repaired it, fixed another questionable spot by #6, insulated and heat wrapped it, and bam, no more fuse/breaker blowing, and fired right up.

The next benefit.. the engine ran much smoother, at least 2 mpg improvement, and no more engine vibration over 3500rpm. it revs to 5k smoothly.. I had been driving like this for some time and since all ran reasonably well and never any hesitation, I just accepted it as it was.. now I realize #5 probably hasn't been firing since I bought it 2 years ago. WTF..

Just wanted to say thank you to this thread for helping me out.
Awesome find and fix!

Brav: was the injector wire shorting out inside the harness bundle that's located near the EGR pipe like the others, got photos??

I just recently became aware of this issue and need to perform a temporary fix until I have time to address it properly. One thing I'm curious of is would there be any lesser benefit to just wrapping the EGR pipe instead of the wiring harness (the advantage being that the EGR is readily accessible whereas the wiring harness is less so). A split sleeve or something like this Balkamp BK 7353955 Exhaust Heat Shield seems plausible. Any thoughts?

Brav: was the injector wire shorting out inside the harness bundle that's located near the EGR pipe like the others, got photos??

yes. I had no cable tie holding it away from it.

I just recently became aware of this issue and need to perform a temporary fix until I have time to address it properly. One thing I'm curious of is would there be any lesser benefit to just wrapping the EGR pipe instead of the wiring harness (the advantage being that the EGR is readily accessible whereas the wiring harness is less so). A split sleeve or something like this Balkamp BK 7353955 Exhaust Heat Shield seems plausible. Any thoughts?

Why not do both?

Bump. My 96 LX450 started doing the wonky misfiring talked about many times on this forum (intermittently) a while ago. Started out just blowing a fusible link every year or two, then over last month or so it would happen when stomping on the accelerator from a dead stop (I could make it go away by feathering the petal momentarily), but as of yesterday it became permanent and finally threw a PO305 code. Here we go….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom