wiring issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lets start by saying Im not an electrician nor do I know much about wiring. After finishing a total gutting and rebuild of a house (wife insisted on one project at a time :mad: ), I have started in on the FJ (a 71' with 78' 2F). Just finished 4 wheel disc brake conversion (learned that POs can really mess up a good thing... long story, different time) and starting on the wiring next. After the rig sat for longer than Im proud of saying, the batt was totally dead (ie shot). After talking with the Interstate dealer and getting a new battery, I started with his advice. Using a volt meter for a bridge between the neg terminal and neg batt cable, I started taking measurements (all key off). Heres what I got.

Nothing disconnected = 12.43 volts
Alt disconnected = 12.45 volts
Fuse 1 (light) disconnected = 12.45 volts
Fuse 2 (horn) disconnected = 11.69 volts
Fuse 3 (spare) disconnected = 4.28 volts
Fuse 4 (meter) disconnected = 12.43 volts
Fuse 5 (wiper) disconnected = 12.44 volts
Fuse 6 (turn) disconnected = 12.45 volts
Both 2 and 3 disconnected = 0.223 volts

Im assuming that I have ground issues or a short in both circuits. is this right? How do I chase shorts in one circuit if both are having issues? What am I looking for? Why wont someone do this for me? ;)

I assume you're looking for a parasitic draw. A voltage drop test to find one seems a little different, but if it works, then OK. I usually just use a test light between the neg term and the neg post. It looks like you have a draw on the spare fuse. the PO must have hooked something to it. A radio with a memory perhaps? If so, then the draw is probably nothing to worry about when the vehicle is running on a reasonably regular basis. If you plan on leting it sit for some time, you can disconnect the fuse, disconnect the battery or get a smart trickle charger to keep the battery topped off.

Appreciate the tip. The PO did install a radio but Im not sure where/how its hooked up. Probably the spare. That still doesnt explain why Im loosing juice with the radio disconnected. Seems like something may be amiss in the horn circuit since I have to disconnect both circuits to get a 0 voltage drop. Is this something to worry about? May be a bit longer before I get the rig back to running, then down again for upgrades and body work. Probably best just to disconnect the batt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom