Wiring from roof into cab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those that have electrical appliances on your roof, like solar panels, LED lights, etc., what is the best way you have found to route the wiring into the cab? I have been looking high and low for aerodynamic electrical connections to bring wiring in through a hole I am going to put in my roof, but I want it to be waterproof, and be able to quick disconnect it.

The closest thing I have found is something like this:

However well it does with being waterproof it's not a quick disconnect if I take my roofrack off and it's not aerodynamic either. Does anyone have a good suggestion based of a solution you have used?

I have a roof rack on the way and am thinking of putting in an aircraft multi-pin connector through the roof. Since it is a typical, twist-lock, waterproof connector, with planning, you can add additional wires to either side ( interior, bulkhead connector or to the outside by adding additional pins/wires into the wiring harness. Search for "aircraft circular connectors" ...Just FYI, the pins can be had for crimp or solder.Unless you are tidy with the solder, I'd go with the crimp style. You will need a specific crimp tool.

Hey, that looks like a great alternative. Do you know if they have caps to put on when disconnected? This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, just missing the cap.

Many have a mating cap, either for male or female connectors. These are often called aircraft connector or Cannon plugs. Some are made in plastic but the mil-spec units I used in Navy were all aluminum bodys. Mouser Electronics or Allied Electronics should have all you need.
The pins will have current ratings. Select max amp rating for loads, then number of pins needed. Per standard, any unused holes in connector should have a plastic filler plug so water won't easily get through.

I priced out all of my parts through www.te.com. I elected to go with plastic. I thought of everything but the filler plug, so thanks for mentioning that. They do make caps for it when it is not connected, so it may not be necessary, but if The Incredibles taught me anything, it's that luck favors the prepared.

Please post pics of install

I’ve used the
For those that have electrical appliances on your roof, like solar panels, LED lights, etc., what is the best way you have found to route the wiring into the cab? I have been looking high and low for aerodynamic electrical connections to bring wiring in through a hole I am going to put in my roof, but I want it to be waterproof, and be able to quick disconnect it.

The closest thing I have found is something like this:

View attachment 2026374

However well it does with being waterproof it's not a quick disconnect if I take my roofrack off and it's not aerodynamic either. Does anyone have a good suggestion based of a solution you have used?

FWIW

I’ve used these (whatchamahcallit) several times. I’ve never had one leak.

I have wiring disconnects inside the roof. I disconnect the wiring, inside the roof, remove the rack, with the outside wiring intact and place an equally sized wire stub in the whatchamahcallit and screw it back down... still doesn’t leak. My whatchamahcallits match the roof color... so, you can see them, but they blend well enough.

... and aerodynamic?

The immortal FJ40 is renowned for many things... “aerodynamic” is not one. ;)

I’ve never felt like these cause quite as much drag as the actual roof rack. :hmm:

Nor, do I see them degrading the superior fuel efficiency that my fuel efficient 2F provides. :hmm:

I understand that purists will not want these whatchamahcallits showing at all... but, you’re putting holes in your fiberglass cap... the whatchamahcallits don’t leak, when properly installed.

Has anyone used a 6 blade trailer plug?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom