Wiring, beginner question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry if it's a dumb question, I just don't know where these wires on my 45 should be connected to. The one off the fuel line was previously connected straight onto the positive battery terminal which I doubt is right, and off the starter motor was connected to nothing.

20200523_151029.jpg
20200523_150921.jpg

The electric fuel pump needs an ignition-on source. Some folks wire it so that it stops pumping fuel in the event of no oil pressure.

The heavy yellow wire with the ring terminal is a bit unclear to me. What does your coil look like? Is that blue wire actually tied into the starter solenoid? The heavy gauge wire with the big ring terminal looks like it was on the battery positive, for any number of aftermarket reasons. I'd make sure that you have a fusible link on the battery positive or starter motor positive terminal before you connect any voltage.

The electric fuel pump needs an ignition-on source. Some folks wire it so that it stops pumping fuel in the event of no oil pressure.

The heavy yellow wire with the ring terminal is a bit unclear to me. What does your coil look like? Is that blue wire actually tied into the starter solenoid? The heavy gauge wire with the big ring terminal looks like it was on the battery positive, for any number of aftermarket reasons. I'd make sure that you have a fusible link on the battery positive or starter motor positive terminal before you connect any voltage.
Yes the blue wire is connected to the solenoid with the ignition wire and the heavy yellow one isn't hooked up to anything either end they're just taped together. Coil is only hooked up to electronic breaker points at the moment as when I bought the car had no keys so started it from the starter motor.
Also in the first photos there was no battery.

20200524_125531.jpg

20200524_125358.jpg

On my USA 40, there is a wire from the starter solenoid to the coil, that was explained to me as providing full voltage to the coil during cranking, a bypass wire of sorts. It is on the wiring diagram.

Is there a grounding strap between the bottom bolt of the starter to the frame rail/brake line union?

On my USA 40, there is a wire from the starter solenoid to the coil, that was explained to me as providing full voltage to the coil during cranking, a bypass wire of sorts. It is on the wiring diagram.

Is there a grounding strap between the bottom bolt of the starter to the frame rail/brake line union?
Yep there is the grounding strap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom