Wire Crimping (1 Viewer)

Anyone have a good chart or rule of thumb on wire crimping? I am trying to crimp 4, 12 gauge stranded wires together and I would like to find the right size connector. But this happens a lot for other wires so a chart would be great if it exists. Or something that would tell me 2-12 g wires = X or a 10 a 8 and a 14 = X.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
seems like this calculator is more about effective electrical conductivity than about physical sizes for crimping. The latter would depend a lot on how you twist -or not- the wires together.

You might be right. I just got 4 12g into a 8 AWG crimp and it was perfect. A 6 would work I’m sure but it would have been big.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
what do you mean by a "crimp" exactly and what are you trying to do? Is it like a termination job? Cuz there are probably other good/better ways to do that - like reusable Wagos and such.

I didn’t want to use something like a wago clip. I am looking for something permanent. I am running some 12 gauge wire in my roof under the headliner so I want it to be permanent and very strong. This combo in particular is four wires terminating together. I ended up using a 8 gauge copper sleeve crimp ring. Not sure of another name for it. 14-8 I believe.

I don't think you are really supposed to that...as in using more than 2 wires per the same crimp/termination, but an insulated distribution block might be more suited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom