Wanted Wiper Motors for 1966 Toyota Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TNK wiper motors. They are universal (not right left specific) so you just need 2.

194FEDE5-D0C4-44B8-89B5-05D6D828B495.jpeg

A258AB04-0BD7-4F75-B05D-EA825AB8AEA5.jpeg

04027925-3EA8-46B6-B90F-5B6FC8CADB16.jpeg

5252BFF8-E149-4611-B04D-F761ED068D3F.jpeg

0A1CC5D8-6A7E-4567-A21C-26C7697E8D7D.jpeg

They are not left & right specific but certain trucks use a wiper motor with the shaft located on the upper side of the motor as it sit when mounted. I think it might have to do with a none removable top on a 45. I’m not sure of the application.

@hyhpe
Paul I do have a ‘63 SWB FHT and all 3 of the wiper motors I have are exactly the same so that would make sense. But I don’t have a LWB RHT (here) or a SWB RHT so I can’t speak to that.

B96E31AE-3CC1-470E-A997-74FDC8264854.jpeg

8557FAAE-49CF-4704-9F24-212C6B58F104.jpeg

E3D49279-B23B-4987-A1B4-613A5B955192.jpeg

D7EC617E-C2A9-44C9-BA64-41F82AF9F8BE.jpeg

@hyhpe
Paul I do have a ‘63 SWB FHT and all 3 of the wiper motors I have are exactly the same so that would make sense. But I don’t have a LWB RHT (here) or a SWB RHT so I can’t speak to that.

View attachment 3074859

View attachment 3074860

View attachment 3074861

View attachment 3074862

In your picture, imagine taking the motor and being able to rotate it and have the set screw on the other side. This would get the wiper motor out your line of sight. Anyway…. @pardion @Bear ?

Last edited:
I thinks it’s a LHD vs RHD drive thing. If you could rotate the wiper, it‘s out of LOS but the wire harness connects on the other side now. I don’t know if RHD rigs have a different wiper harness that routes from the right side or not. The left side routed harness isn‘t long enough to reach the connections if they’re on the right side of the motor. My ‘63 FJ45L SWB FHT has the lower sitting wipers, and I‘m pretty sure they’re original to the rig. My ‘65 FJ40 had the higher sitting wipers. Both rigs are LHD and both sets of motors are TNKs. So I’ve wondered about market, parts availability, use-whats-on-hand thing with these early wipers. And this diatribe completely summarizes my research into this subject 😂.

Last edited:
Since my name came up here: there are two different early wiper motors--you can see the part numbers above. Although visually similar, the interior articulating eccentric arms are different and not interchangeable, and the motors park the wiper arms differently. With the anti-rotation bracket/arm situated at the bottom of the unit, Model 85110-60030 parks the wiper arm to the Right on the windshield as seen from inside the vehicle; 85110-60010 parks the arm to the Left. Ostensibly this was done to keep wiper arms from being directly in the driver's line of sight when not operating.

How the motors are mounted may be up for discussion: whether the anti-rotation arm is to sit at the bottom (as I believe), or the top of the unit, and whether the bulk of the unit hangs down below the windshield frame or above it. In any event, the existence of two different models indicates thought and design over just where the wiper arms are to be parked.

Since many years and many owners have come and gone, the thin aluminum motor covers can be flipped, as well as mounting either motor model "upside" down since the windshield frames have captive nuts for either RHD or LHD anti-rotation bracket/arm mounting. Windshield frames can be swapped with another, with wiring coming up on either side. Even personal choice could dictate one-of-each model, parked to both of the outside edges of the windshield. And model availability at a parts dealer may make the replacement choice for a buyer.

Did Toyota simply use whatever model was at hand during assembly (probably not), or did they calculate placement to satisfy regulations in individual countries? Were there ever changes at the docks, the distributors, or individual dealers, and what were the reasons? Lots of reasons why your Land Cruiser has the wiper motors it does. Be grateful that they work and even more grateful that they park when and where you want them !

My 2 cents.

Since my name came up here: there are two different early wiper motors--you can see the part numbers above. Although visually similar, the interior articulating eccentric arms are different and not interchangeable, and the motors park the wiper arms differently. With the anti-rotation bracket/arm situated at the bottom of the unit, Model 85110-60030 parks the wiper arm to the Right on the windshield as seen from inside the vehicle; 85110-60010 parks the arm to the Left. Ostensibly this was done to keep wiper arms from being directly in the driver's line of sight when not operating.

How the motors are mounted may be up for discussion: whether the anti-rotation arm is to sit at the bottom (as I believe), or the top of the unit, and whether the bulk of the unit hangs down below the windshield frame or above it. In any event, the existence of two different models indicates thought and design over just where the wiper arms are to be parked.

Since many years and many owners have come and gone, the thin aluminum motor covers can be flipped, as well as mounting either motor model "upside" down since the windshield frames have captive nuts for either RHD or LHD anti-rotation bracket/arm mounting. Windshield frames can be swapped with another, with wiring coming up on either side. Even personal choice could dictate one-of-each model, parked to both of the outside edges of the windshield. And model availability at a parts dealer may make the replacement choice for a buyer.

Did Toyota simply use whatever model was at hand during assembly (probably not), or did they calculate placement to satisfy regulations in individual countries? Were there ever changes at the docks, the distributors, or individual dealers, and what were the reasons? Lots of reasons why your Land Cruiser has the wiper motors it does. Be grateful that they work and even more grateful that they park when and where you want them !

My 2 cents.
That’s about 1.50 worth’s. ;) Thanks Bear.

@Bear thank you for taking the time to respond and share your knowledge!

Interesting…this is what I have on the passenger side.

And to clear things up my driver side motor from above isn’t securely fastened to the windshield frame. However I do believe it is aligned/mounted properly (almost). If you zoom in on the parts catalog picture it shows the electrical connections coming off the same side as in my photo??? Also the majority of the motor body is hidden behind/below the top edge of the window frame. But….?????

875494DC-7F1C-4DB2-9138-2B70DFADB626.jpeg

@Bear thank you for taking the time to respond and share your knowledge!

Interesting…this is what I have on the passenger side.

And to clear things up my driver side motor from above isn’t securely fastened to the windshield frame. However I do believe it is aligned/mounted properly (almost). If you zoom in on the parts catalog picture it shows the electrical connections coming off the same side as in my photo??? Also the majority of the motor body is hidden behind/below the top edge of the window frame. But….?????

View attachment 3075414
Your wiper motor in the first picture is different than the motor in the windshield frame. Seems to me the first motor would sit higher. IDK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom