Wiper linkage broke... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I never understood why Toyota wouldn't just sell that damn plastic bushing by itself. The one on the FJ73 I had broke not long after I got it from the seller and when I opened it up to replace it, I could tell that there was previous attempts to repair it. It can be tricky to install too.

Fortunately the seller managed to get me three of those plastic bushings by themselves from cruiserparts which I don't have anymore. There is no part number I am aware of for just those plastic bushing clips. You have to buy the entire linkage if that little plastic piece breaks.
I’m in the same boat .. dropped a log off the roof rack and it popped the linkage off the motor . I have not taken it apart yet , but can tell it was something weak I the system because the arms go back in fourth in unison .. just the motor isn’t connected anymore .
I also am having a hard time finding the instruction on how to access the assy . I thought I had to remove the hood and cowling below the windshield frame .
I’m curious is you found just the part you needed and where .. also any other tips you might have . Thanks !!

You will have to remove the linkage from the cruiser, attach the bushing and then place back into the cruiser onto the motor, same as installing a new linkage. It was the only way I could get the new bushing on. Sorry for the crappy photo but I had to grab it off my old photobucket as I can no longer link to the photo on there.

I got the bushing from cruiserparts a long time ago so I don't know if they still sell them.

bushing install.JPG

As for getting the cowl off without removing the hood. You need this tool. I got it from Advanced Auto Parts at the same time i was doing this job. Of course you will have to remove the wipers as well so the cowl can come off. Easy to do with two people.

screwdriver.JPG

screwdriver2.JPG

Oh that was such fun 🙃 and I had to do it like two or three times. You will need small strong hands to push that bushing back on the wiper motor mount. You will need to take the boot cowl off and the plastic screen nearest the wiper motor. Actually you probably will need to take both of the big plastic screens off since you have to take the linkage out. I’m sure glad I don’t have to go there anymore, knock on wood. I think I still have that hole assembly with a good bushing still on it but would have to dig it out of the “don’t need anymore box”

@cwwfj60 did this job with just a new bushing awhile ago on a troopy. Maybe he can offer some tips too.

@cwwfj60 did this job with just a new bushing awhile ago on a troopy. Maybe he can offer some tips too.
Man I wish I could, memory is failing me. It was a big pain, struggled with it for what seemed like hours.....some specialty angled pliers and pick tools were involved....other than that it was just some finesse and manipulation to get it to seat. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

Thank you @cwwfj60 I too don't really remember all the steps I did too. It was too long ago.

@DOM335

Just send cruiserparts this photo and ask them if they have any. I don't think Toyota sells this bushing separately but somehow they had them at the time. If @coldtaco has one to spare, then I would definitely take it.

bushing.JPG

Thank you @cwwfj60 I too don't really remember all the steps I did too. It was too long ago.

@DOM335

Just send cruiserparts this photo and ask them if they have any. I don't think Toyota sells this bushing separately but somehow they had them at the time. If @coldtaco has one to spare, then I would definitely take it.

View attachment 2564116

@DOM335

View attachment 2564116
Thanks for all you guys pitching in with some guidance .
I was under the impression I had to remove the dash because the linkage isn’t accessible from the wiper cowling . I’ll tear farther into more tomorrow . It does not sound to fun .

@DOM335

View attachment 2564116 Thank you all for the reply’s !

The only thing that you could access from under the dash is the back side of the wiper motor which sits abeam the air intake hole on the top of the dash. If you just can’t get the piece to snap on the wiper arm then that would probably be the last try.

The only thing that you could access from under the dash is the back side of the wiper motor which sits abeam the air intake hole on the top of the dash. If you just can’t get the piece to snap on the wiper arm then that would probably be the last try.
That makes sense . I’ll focus my efforts from the top then and see how it goes tomorrow . Thank you

The small metal bracket on the motor can be removed for you to install the bushing onto the linkage then just bolt on the bracket to the motor again after the linkage is re-installed.

You can see where I did this on the picture I posted earlier of the linkage out. (in red box)

bushing2.JPG

The small metal bracket on the motor can be removed for you to install the bushing onto the linkage then just bolt on the bracket to the motor again after the linkage is re-installed.

You can see where I did this on the picture I posted earlier of the linkage out. (in red box)

View attachment 2564457
Man, I for some reason I never thought of checking out if that piece could be removed. That probably would have made this job so much easier.

Guys I'm having a helluva time getting my wipers back together on my 1986 BJ70 RHD JDM. I purchased the linkage part 85160-90K00 when my bushing broke. It seems to me that this part (the whole likage) is too short. I unfortunately no longer have the old one. I can attach the new linkage to the motor and re install the motor into the frame but it seems that the motor does not have enough room to rotate 360 degrees. When I turn the wipers on it just jams. Does this motor work by rotating 360 degrees? Can someone take a picture or video how how far the linkage needs to extend so I can tell if mine is obviously too short, or maybe I'm making a basic mistake on how to install the linkage but it looks straight forward. I have to move for the Air Force next and week and need to drive this thing cross country so on a bit of a time crunch. Thanks for the help!

Guys I'm having a helluva time getting my wipers back together on my 1986 BJ70 RHD JDM. I purchased the linkage part 85160-90K00 when my bushing broke. It seems to me that this part (the whole likage) is too short. I unfortunately no longer have the old one. I can attach the new linkage to the motor and re install the motor into the frame but it seems that the motor does not have enough room to rotate 360 degrees. When I turn the wipers on it just jams. Does this motor work by rotating 360 degrees? Can someone take a picture or video how how far the linkage needs to extend so I can tell if mine is obviously too short, or maybe I'm making a basic mistake on how to install the linkage but it looks straight forward. I have to move for the Air Force next and week and need to drive this thing cross country so on a bit of a time crunch. Thanks for the help!
I'm going to guess you ended up buying the wrong linkage. The linkage for the hard top is different from the fold down top, or probably rhd vs lhd. 85160-90K02 looks like the right one. ?

Last edited:
I'm going to guess you ended up buying the wrong linkage. The linkage for the hard top is different from the fold down top, or probably rhd vs lhd. 85160-90K02 looks like the right one. ?
Thanks man! I have the hard top...looking into that part #.

CruiserParts is saying their system gives 85150-90K00, I originally ordered 85160-90K02 from them and would hate to order the same wrong part twice... can anyone with a hardtop 1986 RHD BJ70 confirm a part?

CruiserParts is saying their system gives 85150-90K00, I originally ordered 85160-90K02 from them and would hate to order the same wrong part twice... can anyone with a hardtop 1986 RHD BJ70 confirm a part?
If you haven’t signed up yet sign up at toyodiy.com and search your vehicle. Some of the bigger parts sites also offer parts diagrams

@DOM335

View attachment 2564116
Anyone have a clue what the difference is between the linkage part number ending in a 1 or zero ? I’m assuming LHD and RHD .. but I have a LHD and don’t want to order the wrong part. Thanks ..

Thanks

D35EB238-7761-4F50-BEF1-96059D23F2DF.png

The difference by one digit seems to be part substitutions (example 85150-60130 supersedes to 85150-60131). That is what it looks like.

My guess is that something in the linkage was changed but you may not be able to even tell what the change is...could be a rubber grommet or something.

In my line of work, this is exactly what happens to a Toyota part when something is changed but you can't even see the change.

The difference by one digit seems to be part substitutions (example 85150-60130 supersedes to 85150-60131). That is what it looks like.

My guess is that something in the linkage was changed but you may not be able to even tell what the change is...could be a rubber grommet or something.

In my line of work, this is exactly what happens to a Toyota part when something is changed but you can't even see the change.
Interesting .... all
The other linkages on that page for several 70 series models define LHD or RHD in the details . I clicked on the little photo and tried to see the difference and I think in this case it’s actually side different but I am not 100%.

i also stumbled across a place in Australia that sells a bushing replacement . They say they are compatible with all 60’s and 80’s also .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom