Winter Landing Between the Lakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A little dated (Dec 30th)....

8A14D378-C2E5-4C6A-AAA6-A1BE74612710.png

Event is rain or shine and Govt open or closed:bounce::cheers:

If we are going to eat there, we should book the tour combo which is 0915 Friday
Taste of Lynchburg Tour

Edit: looks like the AM spot is already booked. I can call and ask tomorrow

Last edited:
Saturday night just got interesting:eek:
Screenshot_20190113-171747_Chrome.jpg

Man,

You guys are on it. So that's a kids weekend for me but i may can work around it.

The best info I have on the place is this:

Very limited cell service.

The Bison and Elk range is very cool but it is a paved road that loops through the range. We went slow and saw a lot of each, actually drove through the bison herd as they were all over the road and on both sides when we got to them. Good close ups of both of these majestic creatures.

We explored a lot of roads. I did find that the numbering system was appropriate as referenced on the link Chris provided. Where the 300 roads were the most difficult. There were a few that I got down that I had to find places to turn around but I was by myself and pre KO2. I would have gone farther with some better tires and recovery options. Lots of mud on the roads/trails.

Turkey Bay had me a little confused at first but it was fun wheeling. There are some very tight trails there and some more open stuff with a huge rock garden. It is more small rocky with lost of fairly steep and off camber hills. We could probably spend a whole day exploring that place. It is covered in some more difficult places where one could have a crazy time in something less full bodied but there was plenty of stuff for the full bodies also. Also a nice campground area with bathrooms to have lunch.

MAPS:

The avenza maps worked great and I never felt like I was lost. They were super cheap and worth $$. I just randomly turned here and there and rode a lot of roads that looked like they ended up at the waters edge. At one point we were headed somewhere else and I saw a line of Jeeps turning down a road. I dropped a pin and came back the next day for a good little run.
Land Between the Lakes North, Visitor Map - US Forest Service R8 - Avenza Maps

Land Between the Lakes South, Visitor Map - US Forest Service R8 - Avenza Maps

This is what I used for Turkey Bay and the reason for confusion. There were so many trails at some intersections it was hard to tell where I was going. I did use a NFS map that I found online to follow my track and have a lot of the major intersections marked now with gps tracks. I would be a lot more confident in where i was going the next time around.
http://www.kentuckylake.com/lbl/pdfs/11TurkeyBayOHVmap.pdf

I also printed the MVUM. Luckily when I was there i did not find any closures.

I think that some of the places where you disperse camp are limited to number of campers and there are specific locations for larger groups but I need to look back to be sure.

Roll Call Bush! We need you to participate in this adventure!!

x2, @bush. Come join in.

***Tour and Lunch Update***

BoBo's is only serving lunch at one time this Friday starting at 12:45. We could probably be out of there before 2PM.
Otherwise, we will have to eat elsewhere if that is too late.

Angel's share tour is open 9:45, 10:45 and 12:15
Plan for 1.5hrs

Also, we can buy the tour and eat at BoBo's separately and only be out $50. That saves us $50 from the bundle. $100 must be the price to have them cart you around and smoke cigars:smokin::steer::flipoff2:

***Campsite Update***

I was taking a closer look to the roads closed link at the beginning of this thread.
Cravens looks closed between Dec and March.

Nickell Branch and Twin Lakes are probably good alternatives w/ TL having the best feedback on the internets

Last edited:
***Tour and Lunch Update***

BoBo's is only serving lunch at one time this Friday starting at 12:45. We could probably be out of there before 2PM.
Otherwise, we will have to eat elsewhere if that is too late.

Angel's share tour is open 9:45, 10:45 and 12:15
Plan for 1.5hrs

Also, we can buy the tour and eat at BoBo's separately and only be out $50. That saves us $50 from the bundle. $100 must be the price to have them cart you around and smoke cigars:smokin::steer::flipoff2:

***Campsite Update***

I was taking a closer look to the roads closed link at the beginning of this thread.
Cravens looks closed between Dec and March.

Nickell Branch and Twin Lakes are probably good alternatives w/ TL having the best feedback on the internets

I’m down for angles share at 9:45. If we leave Lburg at 2:00 we’ll get to camp after dark. Not a huge deal, but I guess I prefer to set up camp in daylight.

They way I read the mvum I thought the road to cravens (118) is only closed seasonally to golf carts, see table. We can do Twin Lakes if we want, but I think Cravens is open. What do y’all prefer?

The two options are close to each other, so not a big deal in terms of logistics either way

C3984C72-9A11-4F4D-8C34-54C6C010B897.png

I’m down for angles share at 9:45. If we leave Lburg at 2:00 we’ll get to camp after dark. Not a huge deal, but I guess I prefer to set up camp in daylight.

They way I read the mvum I thought the road to cravens (118) is only closed seasonally to golf carts, see table. We can do Twin Lakes if we want, but I think Cravens is open. What do y’all prefer?

The two options are close to each other, so not a big deal in terms of logistics either way

View attachment 1879324

That dang table is confusing. I scratched my head a few times looking at it today. Why are there golf carts in a campsite??
We will have plenty of headlights to help each other out, if needed.

Ok, so we got the tour nailed down. Everyone needs to go online and buy a tour ticket and a lunch ticket.
They said there was plenty of room at Bobo's (like 59 open). Let's just go with it.

BTW- if we run out of things to do on Sat or Sun with closed off roads, there is a gun range:rimshot::idea:

Sorry guys. I can't make this one . Had some family stuff stack up on me. I'll try to figure out a way to share my avenza pins and the map i used for turkey bay. I'll also post up a few interesting road numbers and some more observations .

Just read back through the thread .sucks that turkey bay is closed . I'll still drop some road #s on here this week.

How much wheeling is left with Turkey Bay being closed?

Picked up a bunch of conechu sausage for breakfast and dinner. Also have some bacon. Meat meat meat. Keeping fiber to a minimum so I can pack it in and pack it out:poop:;)

Looks like (as of today) we’ll have 6 rigs and 10 people. I’m ready! Well..maybe not ...but I am looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom