Winter Event February 16th-19th, This year in Fort McMurray (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tracking down my air locker leak, turns out it the o ring inside the diff... Also turns out I got some water in my DS rear wheel bearing at some point. Sure hope Dan has seals and bearings in stock or I am SOL for the trip.
Sorry no home made stuff from me guys, cant think of anything cool and I just simply haven't had any time. Does it lessen the beatings if I say I am trying to help lumpy gather parts for his disconnect?
The last 6-8 weeks have been a gong show with multiple overnight trips to Cgy, a full dirtbike strip-down and rebuild, basement reno's, and now this. I just hope I can still make it at this point.

he will have bearings but likely not O rings. you can run a stanard sized O ring on those locker seals though too. ARB has a special double lip seal profiled ring. I've run those and run regulay o rings. Likely need one in hand to get it though knowing the bearing ID could likely buy a bunch and get it sorted.

I'll look tonight as I might have a set of O rings too. I just might....

Get a few hub studs and hardware and new axle flange gaskets while youre there too. that should cover everything you need.

Another thing to inspect would be the seal at the diff connection. Its a copper tube to hose connection that is suspect at times and more likely failure than the o rings on the carrier bearing. drop me a line and we can text pics or drive it out and we can troubleshoot on the hoist.

Attachments

• Winter Unlander Trail Maps.pdf
    519.9 KB · Views: 128
Sounds like he has all the bearings, inner seals, and the axle flange gaskets.

I removed the fitting from the diff housing and sealed the airline-copper line and no leak. I hear air inside the diff though so I think it is the seal inside on the actual locker, or the copper line got damaged. I am going to pull the 3rd tonight and check it out.

Do you recommend changing the stud's and hardware? Mine all seem fine.

Thanks for jumping in Tyler, I appreciate it. The rear end is torn down in my garage right now, I am going to grab the parts from Dan and rebuilt it tonight. Hoping to have the 3rd dropped later in the evening and will take a look. Its going to be tight, I have tonight and part of Thursday evening to do the work...

no I'd just have some on hand in case they are needed

Happy to help if ya need as I've been in a fair bit of those and have made most mistakes of the bat. Copper line can be solderd to fix is the damage isn't to bad

It was the copper line. Nicely worn through...
Bought a 50ft roll of 1/8" at an HVAC shop, so if anyone has the same problem...
Going to replace and reinstall tomorrow evening.
Do any of you live on the south end of town and are free tomorrow? I dont think I can get this back installed by myself.

Oh boy. We’re headed north to scout. When we replaced ours we cut the zipper flush at the seal assembly and drilled the rest out of the assembly. Stabbed in the new piece and soldered it in. It was easier than I figured it would be.

It was the copper line. Nicely worn through...
Bought a 50ft roll of 1/8" at an HVAC shop, so if anyone has the same problem...
Going to replace and reinstall tomorrow evening.
Do any of you live on the south end of town and are free tomorrow? I dont think I can get this back installed by myself.
would love to help, I have about 10 fires to put off before we leave.

what hotel are y'all staying at? And is there a friday night chin-wag going on? If i can get done work at a decent time, i would love to hang out and have a drink and a few laughs

I think I'm gonna have dinner with some friends that are local to Fort Mac at the Brewery. The more the merrier though!

My home made contribution to the raffle will be a Shift knob similar to this one in whatever thread pitch you require. Transmision, transfer case, auto standard, metric, sae... whatever you desire
shift knob.jpg

Rusty's inn by gregoire is the place. Real classy...

Ok so hotel is actually pretty nice. Lots of heavy truck traffic but that’s about the worst Of it. Scouted start of river trail today. All was well

If folks could drop me a line a few hours out (wandering river area) I’ll make sure I’m around. A text is all that’s needed

Hope you all have a good time this weekend. :) When I'm hoisting red cup after red cup of muddy drill cuttings, I'll think of the better stuff I could be hoisting up there instead. ;)

I have everyones room keys so text when you arrive.

It was a great weekend! Met old friends and made new ones. Thanks to all who helped organize , vendors who donated and all who attended. We made it home safely and this morning my kids woke up and asked "when's the next trip?" OCC ftw!

I just wanted to clarify who our sponsors were, I would like to thank them via social media or in person, or writing. I do highly encourage that everyone does so as well; so we can keep and grow our support.

I only dealt with 4 WHEEL AUTO as a sponsor, but I know that Tacoma Bryan (which is a seriously under appreciated truck!), Tyler and maybe others had contact with sponsors. So please post them up.

While it is a plug, I have to make it. Scotia (SSI) gave the go ahead to assist with sponsorship via myself- so if you do find yourself, a friend, relative or coworker needing investment, retirement, life stage, succession, planning including -employer pension transfers, rrsps, dpsps, resps, holdings at a bank that seem to not be doing much- all that stuff feel free to contact me. My time is free, and I can work anywhere in Alberta. Furthermore, If I cannot help you, I can put you in touch with someone that can. If I can show our spending helped on the business end, I can provide it (and may be able to grow it) next year. There is no need to write or tag. Thank you for your consideration.

A very important thank you to Arnott and Ratpuke for: getting us together, being our leaders, organizing this whole event, managing the helpers, blazing trails, for cooking, for answering a million questions that we all head with so much patience and generosity. This is the 3rd year I've been involved in this, and I had not realized what a time consuming and logistical endeavor organizing this could be until this year. Thank you- and thank you for your continued support in our community. It does not go by unnoticed.

Calgary folks- thanks for doing the long drive to an even colder place. You guys are an important part of our crew; and your experience and helpfulness is awesome. I mean, Kevin S essentially drove from Calgary to change a tire on a trail for a Fort Mcmurray Truck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom