Winch Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know how to take a siezed one apart, but if you find out let me know, as mine got seized and blew out the side, wrecking my inner plate and needle bearing. I would guess a lot of wd-40 (I mean a lot, cause I already tried a bit of it and it is still stuck) then taking it apart and cleaning?
Cheers,
Deny

i had brighouse auto electric in richmond rebuild mine they have 24v motors and solinoids

My 8274 brake was seized so I took it apart. A large puller, heat, penetrating fluid, and some gentle taps with a BFH to get the outer plate off. Re-assembly was a major PITA with getting the ball bearings to stay put.
After it was back together I had a free position to unwind the cable, but it no longer had enough brake ability to hold a load. I probably fouled the brake pucks with some axle grease.
Now its seized up again, and I just don't feel like messing with it. I just have power in/power out, but its a fast enough winch that I don't care.

i had brighouse auto electric in richmond rebuild mine they have 24v motors and solinoids

Roughly how much was the rebuild, I know it'll vary from winch to winch and what parts are need etc. but I'm just trying to ball park what it's worth. Basically I'm trying to decide between a used 24v 8274 for $400 in unknown working condition and a new 24v 12000lb mile marker shipped to my door for $700. I know the mile marker is a chinese knockoff and the warn is THE winch to have. But new vs. old, which is the better bang for my buck.

Any thoughts? opinions?

If you don't take the warn can you hook me up with the seller?

8274 rebuild

i think they originally quoted me $500. the motor was $280 and the solinoids were $20 each.

Just a suggestion, don't get a Milemarker. A 24V 8274 new costs more than $2000 and is a far, far better winch than a Hydraulic that runs of your power steering. The parts readily available to repair the 8274.

He talking about an electric MileMarker which they purchase from China and put their sticker on it......the hydraulic is an entirely different animal (made in USA).

The hydraulic milemarker may be slow but it will run all day while everyone elses is overheating or burning out.

ham

I thought a lot of the Aussies were using Milemarker Hydraulic Winches in their winch comps. Now, I am sure they are not the same ones for sale on the net. From what i read they run off a dedicated hydaulic pump (PTO or drive belt driven). They are not slow but they are lots of $$$.

8274 works upside down.
Hydraulic... not so much.
GG

8274 works upside down.
Hydraulic... not so much.
GG

Well, hydaulics work well even when soaked. This would be especially important for certain club members. :rolleyes: Upside down :confused: You must have a story you want to tell.

Sorry for the hijack medic. Like I said, take it apart yourself. If you don't have a garage, then kitchen tables work real nice, especially with a portable vise. Maybe just send the wife away with friends while you do it. :D BJ70-guy, I recommend you ask around at the local Cruiser shops for a 24V 8724.

I think I'm going to pull off the top cover and have a look at the gears before I dedicate myself to buying it. I've been told to watch out for rusting and pitting on the gears. I didn't get a chance to call Brighouse today but it'll be on the top of the list of things to do tomorrow. The cable looks in decent shape but I still need to find a roller fairlead. I'd like to go synthetic cable but it's just too much $$$ right now. To be honest, I haven't had one person tell me to go with the mile marker, I'll probably end up going with the 8274.

Go with the Milemarker :grinpimp:

$400 is a very good price. If I was the seller I wouldn't want someone taking it apart to 'think about it'.

If the exterior of the warn isn't badly corroded, chances are it will be ok inside. Very likely to be dry with all the oil long since leaked out.

You can buy all the pieces for it if there is something broken or missing.

The 12k planetary winch is a smaller easier to fit new winch, if that's what you're after. No idea what your mounting it to, so maybe that makes a difference (if you have a winch bumper lined up for the 61).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom