Winch/Compressor Battery Disconnect Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

trdcorolla

SILVER Star
Threads
I know lots of us here on Mud put their winch on a battery disconnect. My question is if you were going to add compressor for OBA at a later date would you buy a 3 position battery disconnect so the compressor can be wired there too? The compressor would be in the engive bay and the power wires would be ran on the firewall in my situation, not in the front where it could be severed in a front end accident. Any replies will be appreciated, thanks!

I sure you could.
The amp pull is quite different between the two.
You might be better off running the pump behind a hd relay or circuit breaker.

Many people who add a disconnect for power to the winch install it between the line side (from the battery) to the winch which requires it to be capable of carrying +/- 300A load. The relays in your winch controller are a disconnect in theory, they open and close upon demand. If you install a single pole 20 amp motor rated toggle switch between the common (hot) wire to the hand held controller inside the control box, you accomplish the same task for a lot less. With the switch in the off position the relay coils cannot energize which is the same as the battery disconnect just a lot less work and can be located inside the cab easily (16 AWG wire). As for the OBA had you considered a Toyota Prius AC compressor mod for your air needs ? No belts required (electric compressor) and +/- $300 new. You have to add filter, backflow preventer, pop off valve, pressure switch and storage tank (2-3 gallon) but I understand it puts out 4-5 CFM when installed. Most OBA systems are 1-2 CFM I was told and very pricey. That is on my bucket list of things to accomplish in the near future.

"for the OBA had you considered a Toyota Prius AC compressor mod for your air needs ? No belts required (electric compressor) and +/- $300 new. You have to add filter, backflow preventer, pop off valve, pressure switch and storage tank (2-3 gallon) but I understand it puts out 4-5 CFM when installed. Most OBA systems are 1-2 CFM I was told and very pricey. That is on my bucket list of things to accomplish in the near future."

Just to avoid hijacking this thread, can you maybe post a thread on how to do this? Is the compressor 12 volts or higher voltage?

"for the OBA had you considered a Toyota Prius AC compressor mod for your air needs ? No belts required (electric compressor) and +/- $300 new. You have to add filter, backflow preventer, pop off valve, pressure switch and storage tank (2-3 gallon) but I understand it puts out 4-5 CFM when installed. Most OBA systems are 1-2 CFM I was told and very pricey. That is on my bucket list of things to accomplish in the near future."

Just to avoid hijacking this thread, can you maybe post a thread on how to do this? Is the compressor 12 volts or higher voltage?

It is driven through DC(201.6V)-AC(3 phase) inverter (variable frequency). 206V AC supplied via an inverter, It is a 3 phase syncronous motor, modulated by the inverter based on control from the HV ECU. The frequency is relative to the desired speed of the compressor. The lower the voltage supplied the higher the output voltage. Beyond the technical there is a company that supplies the inverter/control unit all in one but I have to find it again. Basically a VFD where single phase input to 3 phase output. Being that you aren't cooling a car with it you don't need to control the speed of the compressor so it's fixed at +/- 2600 rpm as I remember it. I will see if I can find it again and post the thread. I havent done it yet I just read about it.

Thanks everyone for the replies and about the Prius OBA (i'll look into it when i'm ready for OBA), I bought a 600A 3 position switch (load 1, load 2 and off). I'll use one of the loads for the winch and leave the other unused for now until I figure out a OBA solution I want to run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom