Wilson Switch - 14v Plugs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed a manual glow momentary switch in my BJ60 as per the FAQ here. (trying to resolve smokey starts)

I asked for 10.5v plugs but the shop gave me 14v plugs. I had 3 installed before I noticed so carried on.

What are the issues with running 14v plugs rather than the usually recommended 10.5's?

I live in an area with very cold winters fyi.

Thanks or any input!

I assume your rig is 12V? if so, then your plugs are not being hit with enough juice. Think of the rating as the voltage needed to heat the element properly. In a 12V rig, you would need at least 14, if not around 18 volts to light them up (like 10.5 for a 12v truck).

The 14v plug is for a 24V superglow engine. if your rig is 24v then you are probably blowing up your plugs with a momentary and need the 21.5V plugs.

If it is 12v then you will need the 10.5v as you are not warming the plugs enough with the 14v and are not getting a complete combustion and therefore lots of whitish smoke.

HTH

truck is 12v

i hope the shop will exchange them. Wish I caught it before installing.

Thanks for the feedback

You asked for 10.5v. they gave you 14v... You installed them in good faith and they don't work...

They should be good in the name if customer service. If not I know a guy that can get you the 10.5s for a good price...

Your BJ60 will use a lower voltage plug than 10 volts for a super glow system. I believe they are around 8 volts or so. Now that you are totally confused check with Toyota or 4WheelDrive seeing as you are in Edmonton. They will set you up with the correct parts.

Last edited:
He is using a wilson switch though... this means he is hitting the plug with full voltage and bypassing the superglow system...

Yes, i suppose that I was a little inattentive in a quick posting there. Thanks for the check up. But I am reading the original again trying to figure if this is 24V system or a 12V one. Doesn't the superglow system provide afterglow to assist in the cold combustion for a few seconds? So wouldn't that be the best choice for a cold climate start? In a perfect world..........

I asked the same thing and in post #3 he says 12v.

The superglow will not warm the engine any more or less than a regular glow, it just lets you get driving after the three second suprglow. I guess technically it does warm it more, but only for 3 seconds and the following half voltage glow is for the smoothing out of the start and initial running.

For cold weather starts, the momentary switch is better as you can glow just as much as you need based onthe running of the engine. In my superglow, the computer tells the system whe to turn off. if i want to do it shorter or longer (really cold days) i cannot change how the computer responds. In a rig with a wilson switch, you can smooth out a start by continuing to hold the glow on, or glow for 40 seconds instead of the computer's 30 second max... I don't know how this affects plug longevity, but it makes fine tuning the glow for the running of the truck easier.

My superglow works so I am in a 'not broken dont fix it' mode. when it craps out... wilson switch it is... after I run through my back up set of superglow computer and relays that is!

BC is right on...if OP's truck is 12v and he is no longer using his Superglow system but just a wilson switch with a straight 12v going to the plugs, he needs 10.5v plugs. 14v plugs DEFINITELY will NOT work properly! As BC stated, there is no way that 14v plugs can work properly in a 12v truck - period.

IMO, if OP requested 10.5v plugs and was given 14v plugs, responsibility clearly lies with the shop that sold him the plugs. Hopefully, they make it right by either giving him the plugs he needs or a full refund. I would seriously question the shop that sold these plugs to you, as there is NO WAY 14v plugs could ever be substituted in a 12v truck or in place of 10.5v plugs, EVER! Unfortunately, this type of thing happens very often though - whether it's because they don't have the proper voltage in stock or just don't know any better, I often wonder how many people out there are running the wrong plug for their application and not even know it! :bang:

Let me know if you have trouble getting the plugs you need - I have plenty of 10.5v plugs (and the other common voltages) on hand and ready to ship...:cheers:

Heck... the first winter I had my truck... it took a LOT of cranking to start the tirg and a ton fo smoking out the neighbors. I didn't know a ton about my rig, but eventually found out when i bougt new plugs to swap in that the PO had put in 21.5v plugs. which would have been great if my rig wasn't one of the later 81s with superglow! I do have to say that earlier in the same model year, the 2B did have a standard glow system, but it he had done any research, he would have found out why it started like poop!

Either way I chalk it up as one of the reasons he sold it to me for a good price...

no wonder I am smoking my apt complex out now in MD since it has gotten cold it is so hard to start, and probably becuase my 12V rig with wilson switch and 14V plugs......Thanks for this thread!!!! I am running momentary switch to heavy solenoid then 2 inline 40amp breakers prior to connection on last plug/ bussbar next to firewall.

Rob

Rob,

Your neighbors will probably thank you once you get the proper voltage plugs in there and stop smoking out the neighborhood! Thanks again and good luck with them - let us know how they work out for you! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom