Why is an 80 not a "tough truck"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why is it that I constantly hear how great the 70 series is and how it's such a "tough truck". I'm sure that's true, but what I also hear from North American's is how "we can't buy tough Toyota's in the US / Canada anymore".

My question is why is the 80 not seen as a tough Landcruiser?

- The new 79 series has an 80 front axle and electric lockers.
- Is it that there is no diesel?
- Is it that leather and carpet are standard?
- Is it that it does not have a bone jarring leaf sprung ride?
- Or is it a misconseption by the general public and ignorant Land Cruiser owners? This point maybe beneficial for those us that want to buy a cheap mint condition 80.

The price of 80's is plumeting in my area as gas is almost at $1.00 / L. In the last 2 weeks there are 4 excelent condition LX450's (standard lockers) for sale in the Toronto area. All under 200k km (125k miles). I'm waiting until they go down to 10k and I'll pick up another one.

aamiggia said:
Why is it that I constantly hear how great the 70 series is and how it's such a "tough truck". I'm sure that's true, but what I also hear from North American's is how "we can't buy tough Toyota's in the US / Canada anymore".

You can thank Toyota US marketing for that. A decision was made that the Land Cruiser in this country needed to be a luxury sport utility only. So the 80 Series wasn't offered here with a diesel engine, manual transmission, cloth interior, steel bumpers, steel wheels. I personally think the 80 Series has proven (more so in other countries) to be an incredibly tough and durable truck.

Last edited:
I'll echo elmariachi in that in all the assorted countries I've lived in the 80 series and every other LC series was considered an "extremely tough truck" and that it was available in so many styles to include the bare bones mil-spec versions to the luxed out civilian versions. When I was in Belize for example one of my closest friends had a bare bones 80, a regular US version with full leather, and also a diesel (forgot the designation). This went along with an old FJ-45, and a really rough really rugged 55. LandCruisers across the world are tough trucks in my opinion, but sadly, I agree they are getting less and less tough in the NA marketplace. Keep in mind even the 100 series is available with solid axles, vinyl flooring, fabric seats, etc. Of course if Schotts has his way we'll have not only IFS 100 series across the planet but eventually IRS 100 series with velour seating, suede headliners and ebony/ivory inlaid dashes!!! :flipoff2: :D :flipoff2:

It would be beautiful if Toyota NA brings a bare bones 80 back and positions it next the Sequoia. If you thing about it, they are two different animals… It’s like the Highlander and the 4 Runner. Aprox. in the same price range but different. I don’t think cannibalization would be a risk…

I don’t know… Give me a 2006 80 Autana style…

J

In my mind a true tough truck must be diesel.
I would like to see a diesel 80 beside a hybrid highlander :flipoff2:

fzj80kidpen said:
In my mind a true tough truck must be diesel.
I would like to see a diesel 80 beside a hybrid highlander :flipoff2:

<clap clap clap clap clap>

speaking of toyota marketing, two years ago toyota had invited jonothan ward at TLC to display a pristine ,fully restored FJ40 at their booth alongside the tundras, tacomas and all the new toyatas. The third day it vanished. apparrently toyota usa was upset that the majority of inquiries were directed to the 40 and when it would be available. toyota usa needs to hire some chrysler guys, then maybe we'll get 4:1 t-cases and solid axles back.
next years FJ is just a wimp in a muscle shirt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom