Why changing oil timely/frequently is good for your engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a 2011 Sequoia with a 5.7L, less than 100k miles and it was drinking 2+ quarts, more like 3, over a 7500 mile OCI. I bought it at 65k miles, it had a history of 10k mile oil changes before then. I don't own it anymore.

My 2014 Tundra, 5.7L, bought new, has had 10k, 7500 mile and now I'm doing 5k mile OCI. It was using 1-2 quarts when doing 10k mile OCI and Mobil-1. I now use Kirkland 0W-20 and 5k mile OCIs and it uses nearly zero oil.
if oil consumption is your problem, try using BG 44k in fuel and put MOA in you engine oil and drive it for 15 mins and finally add EPR to your new oil which gives final compression seal. I check lot of youtube video anecdotes on it these products really did a difference in old engine which are at the end of their life. also project farm shows same results.

Last edited:
I wanted to share my experience as I see a lot on this topic and feel free to take it with a grain of salt as I have no scientific backing behind it. I bought my 2013 with 48k miles in 2015 and I noticed a lot of oil consumption a few months into ownership and I would refill the oil constantly. I changed the PCV valve as I consider this a routine maintenance item but it was fine when I pulled it out and the valve shook freely, no change in oil consumption. I went a year or so constantly filling up oil but it was strange as the consumption was not constant and I could not determine when or how the oil was consumed. If it were a leak, I would expect it to be needing 1 quart every 2 weeks, etc.... I observed that it would go a month without needing more oil in some cases in others it was 2 weeks.

I then came across a video talking about the Toyota pistons on a Camry having issues with the rings due to clogged oil ports and a light bulb went off. I decided I would change the oil and change it again to see how clean it was after driving around the neighborhood.... well it came out black. Then I did another one and another one - I probably did 5 oil changes in total that were a day to a week apart until things looked good. After doing this, I have no noticeable oil consumption. Seafoam or diesel would probably be more effective but I hate the idea of adding it into the mix. Relatively speaking, oil changes are cheap compared to a new motor, I chose the route of doing so more often than not, it does not hurt the motor to change it often, only a hit to the wallet.
thanks for sharing your experience.

There's reasons to change oil more frequently if only to inspect, catch or accommodate issues or emergent issues. An oil change can be cheaper than a single fill of gas these days.

Someone once said 'a quart of oil and a main bearing cost about the same, one is just more expensive to change'.

There are two benefits to changing oil: 1) engine longevity and 2) blissful sleep. 5k OCI, for me, provides the latter. I don't dispute the data on long-interval OCI, I just like the 5k cadence.

And there is a third benefit and that is for those doing their own changes: it gives at least twice a year when you can inspect the underside of the engine for other leaks, coolant crystals, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom