why are 4th gen 4runners cheaper than 3rd? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm so glad they kept these :flipoff2::flipoff2:

And why don't you make your own FJ60 convertible? You got the fab skills you could do it! There's a guy on the forum with one.

164eb859ece10f3fc9222e41ca10a917.jpg

Well sheeee-it boy! Why didn’t you post that before I spent my toymoney??

In all seriousness, a BJ60 popped up on my local CL for the same money I paid for my Runner. If it had come along first, I’d have probably bought it instead. We didn’t actually get FJ60s in BC or the rest of Arctic Peso Land. We only got BJ or HJ 60s. Boo hoo, right? We also got BJ70s for 84-86. I almost scored one of those a few years ago, but they are rare as hens teeth now as most of them have rusted away.

I met a salesman at our local Toyota dealer the other day (he came out when he saw me pull in with my Runner). He has an ‘88 that he bought new and it has 740,000 on it now! Original 3.0 motor and just put in a Luk clutch recently. He’s done body and paint once. We live in a beach town with a huge classic car scene. He told me he wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if someone offered me $10-$12,000 for mine this summer!! If that kind of money comes knockin, I may HAVE to build a convertible 60!

And I actually posted in the forum upgrade thread telling Woody that it would be best if we could still :flipoff2::flipoff2: each other. I’m sure it was always his plan, as it’s pretty much our trademark!

Well sheeee-it boy! Why didn’t you post that before I spent my toymoney??

In all seriousness, a BJ60 popped up on my local CL for the same money I paid for my Runner. If it had come along first, I’d have probably bought it instead. We didn’t actually get FJ60s in BC or the rest of Arctic Peso Land. We only got BJ or HJ 60s. Boo hoo, right? We also got BJ70s for 84-86. I almost scored one of those a few years ago, but they are rare as hens teeth now as most of them have rusted away.

I met a salesman at our local Toyota dealer the other day (he came out when he saw me pull in with my Runner). He has an ‘88 that he bought new and it has 740,000 on it now! Original 3.0 motor and just put in a Luk clutch recently. He’s done body and paint once. We live in a beach town with a huge classic car scene. He told me he wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if someone offered me $10-$12,000 for mine this summer!! If that kind of money comes knockin, I may HAVE to build a convertible 60!

And I actually posted in the forum upgrade thread telling Woody that it would be best if we could still :flipoff2::flipoff2: each other. I’m sure it was always his plan, as it’s pretty much our trademark!

$10-12k for your 4Runner!! o_Oo_O that means my truck is worth $25k :flipoff2:

Your 4Runner is super nice though, especially since you fixed those rust spots. And HJ60s? Are they relatively inexpensive up there? And I find it hard to believe a 3.slow made it 740k KM's... but part of me does! I did once see an old FJ60 with the original owner who had 750k miles on his 60. He said it had been through 4 transmissions, 6 clutches and 2 motors. :rofl:

If they got rid of this smiley...wheewie I'd be outta here.:flipoff2:

You can find a rusty HJ or BJ 60 for $3000 or so, but unless you have the ability to patch frames and do substantial body work, you’ll be spending a lot of money. That doesn’t factor in mechanical work either.

I like how we’ve got the conversation completely away from 4th Gen Frunners!

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, you can’t put a snowplow on a 4th or 5th gen.

I tried, spent lots of time under a new 5th gen and a friends 4th. No way, but the 3rd gen uses the tow hook mounts and a couple of other anchor points to fit Fisher and Myer mounts. Probably Western too. I use the Fisher pushplates.

So instead of getting a new 4Runner last spring I had to get a Tundra. Which is an awesome truck by the way.

Here @joseywales is your convertible FJ60!

01313_i33VKGMajI_1200x900.jpg

00r0r_32vHw1Tp3pQ_1200x900.jpg

00A0A_hZY4AqeE6Wn_1200x900.jpg

I know you'll need a place to store your 4Runner...so why don't you send it to me and I'll take care of it? :hillbilly:

Nicely done! I think I’d put all that crap hanging off the back in the space where the cage crossmember is. It looks really long without a top on...

I’ve had 3 3rd gens and now I drive a 4th gen V8.
I miss my 3rd gen.
They just drive better...

I haven’t seen a 4Runner of any generation that I don’t like with the right stance. Saw a silver 4th Gen Sport yesterday with a mild lift and BFG ATs on stock wheels that looked magnificent. No idea how they drive...we are at 310K miles on the 1998
66A3A0B3-7F5A-479A-8984-F117C9C054AB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom