Whooaa (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a little bit of a rush today when my 4WD and everything completely disengaged driving in the ice and snow :eek:

Here is what I know, please help with your suggestions:
'87 FJ60 350, Marks Adapter, Centerforce, Stock Tranny/Transfer
The 4WD would not stay in place so I bungeed it to the passenger seat so it would not slip out. (NOTE: I have not put the cover on the bellhousing because I have been adjusting the clutch..). Driving just fine for about 3 miles and then I coast give her some gas and nothing. :doh: In my panic, I realease the bungee holding the 4WD engaged and try to slip it back into 2H, grinding, grinding and more grinding, finally I don't know if I put the clutch in or not, it slips in and I am able to drive in 2H. Get to a parking lot and the 4WD works again, but the clutch seems 'shorter'.

So, any ideas what happened and should I be concerned about conquering the ice on any sort of incline?

Thanks,
Dave.
'87 FJ60 147K 350 100miles
'97 FZJ89 70K

Heading out again in a little bit. Hopefully, it won't happen agian. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave.

Maybe the bungee pulled the tcase into neutral?

60wag -

I think that is what happened. I just took it out for another spin to grab lunch and the 4WD worked fine if I held it in place. I guess I need to adjust the linkage someday soon.

Thanks,
Dave.

check the linkage, check the guide plate to ensure it's on tight, make sure the opening in the tunnel cover isn't interfering, making sure the boot/carpet isn't interfering, etc. Lots of little things in a conversion to "tweak" to ensure things don't rub afterwards.

Like woody said check for interferance. Fixed a 40 a while back that had a similar prob. The cutout in the tranny hump wasn't right and didn't allow full engagement. When he would go through a twisty or let off real hard it jumped out. A little trimming and all is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom