1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whooaa

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by DJSH, Jan 8, 2004.

1. DJSH

DJSH

I got a little bit of a rush today when my 4WD and everything completely disengaged driving in the ice and snow :eek:

Here is what I know, please help with your suggestions:
    '87 FJ60 350, Marks Adapter, Centerforce, Stock Tranny/Transfer
    The 4WD would not stay in place so I bungeed it to the passenger seat so it would not slip out. (NOTE: I have not put the cover on the bellhousing because I have been adjusting the clutch..). Driving just fine for about 3 miles and then I coast give her some gas and nothing. :doh: In my panic, I realease the bungee holding the 4WD engaged and try to slip it back into 2H, grinding, grinding and more grinding, finally I don't know if I put the clutch in or not, it slips in and I am able to drive in 2H. Get to a parking lot and the 4WD works again, but the clutch seems 'shorter'.

So, any ideas what happened and should I be concerned about conquering the ice on any sort of incline?

Thanks,
    Dave.
    '87 FJ60 147K 350 100miles
    '97 FZJ89 70K

2. DJSH

DJSH

Heading out again in a little bit. Hopefully, it won't happen agian. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave.

3. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

Maybe the bungee pulled the tcase into neutral?

4. DJSH

DJSH

60wag -

I think that is what happened. I just took it out for another spin to grab lunch and the 4WD worked fine if I held it in place. I guess I need to adjust the linkage someday soon.

Thanks,
    Dave.

5. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    check the linkage, check the guide plate to ensure it's on tight, make sure the opening in the tunnel cover isn't interfering, making sure the boot/carpet isn't interfering, etc. Lots of little things in a conversion to "tweak" to ensure things don't rub afterwards.

6. hammerhead

hammerhead

Like woody said check for interferance. Fixed a 40 a while back that had a similar prob. The cutout in the tranny hump wasn't right and didn't allow full engagement. When he would go through a twisty or let off real hard it jumped out. A little trimming and all is good.