Whole House Surge Protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used a Zone Defender with strike counter. These are use more in commercial settings but works well for house and shop. I paid $250 for the setup including enclosure.
Simple installation.
IMG_1402.JPG
IMG_1403.JPG
IMG_1404.JPG

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta.../1538758751298/Zone+defender+pro+spec+(1).pdf

Last edited:
We don't have a whole house SP at this time, but have been considering installing a system.

At our house in Nevada, power is fairly stable, but has been known to go out once in a blue. Since we don't live there full time yet, we unplug sensitive electronics, or have good plug in surge protection.

We have a separate shop and RV garage building, with a sub panel. In it, I installed a disconnect, and use it when we are not there to protect all the shop equipment - compressor, power tools, etc.

The disconnect is easy to use, and stops a surge. Why not use the breaker to disconnect? Breakers are not designed for regular use as a disconnect.

I will add SP's at the main panel/well pump, house sub and shop sub panels though. You never know when a surge will hit!

Hi guys, I have a silly question that: does RV Surge Protector can use for the whole house. Someone willing to answer my question, please.

If you're talking about something like this for your house panel: Amazon product ASIN B01N9MOY7B
I'd say the answer is no. First, it isn't going to be enough amperage unless you have a really old, low amperage service to you house. Beyond that, I'm not sure how you'd connect it in and I doubt you could make it meet code.

If you're talking about something like this for your house panel: Amazon product ASIN B01N9MOY7B
I'd say the answer is no. First, it isn't going to be enough amperage unless you have a really old, low amperage service to your house. Beyond that, I'm not sure how you'd connect it in and I doubt you could make it meet code.
Thanks so much for your answer! I bought an EMS-PT30X a few days ago and I think it works well as advertised. Confirms the electrical circuit is working properly before allowing flow to your RV. It displays amps being consumed so you know if limits are being surpassed. We use a couple of padlocks and a chain with one lock around the cord and the other end locked to the electrical outlet. The delay of electric flow after plugging in or an electrical interruption ensures RV components are protected.

If you're using it for an RV, that's what it is designed for, but this post was about whole-house (building) surge suppression.

This is really too open a question. I would ditch the Amazon and Google fixes.

So, I assume you have a rural home to be asking this question at all. I would also assume the home isn't on a hilltop or mountaintop.

The answer will need an electrician licensed in your state to perform the work and supply all materials for the job. How much of a job, would start with your local electrical code requirements and end with either your budget or your interest.

There are several different types of SPD's for utility installation at the panel. Industrial sites also use UPS-battery derived AC for isolation of critical circuits, and an automatic or manual transfer switch for the standby generator. All surge issues should be eliminated in your first $25k in or so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom