Who knows dual sport motorcycles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man, everybody has some nice bikes here! Yeah I guess with our taste in vehicles we are all pretty much on the same page for other items, including choice of dual sports. Funny how all the ones people have posted up also follow the ones I find appealing, even not knowing much about the specific bikes, and the rarer ones like Rabid pointed out.

A guy down the road from me had a GS series bmw a 2008 I think, 650 with pelican case luggage bags attached. Maybe a few thousand miles for $7k. Looked great, but I didn't really want to dish out that much cash. I think even with my short legs I could ride it with no issues. I'm going to call the guy tomorrow about the Honda 500 and see if he still has it.

A buddy of mine is around 5'7" or 5'8" and rides the red KLR in the pic. He had 2" lowering link installed. He's still on his tip toes when stopped.

I love mine. I bought it used last July with 2,600 miles, and it just turned 13K miles today.

100_0183.jpg

100_0265.jpg

Just talked to the seller via email and he sold it, oh well, I'm going to keep hunting. I'm going to keep doing research and see what I can find. I'll post up anything I see that looks interesting.

Whoever gave you that two stroke advice is completely wrong. Two smokes are a constant PITA.

I daily ride a 2006 XT225. It was $2500 a couple years ago. Best all around bike ever, especially for in town driving, and especially if you have short legs like me (30" inseam). Not an ideal highway bike but it will get it done. Here I am on my typical grueling commute, had to stop and take a pic because it was so brutal.

roughcommute051508.jpg

You can't go wrong with a used Honda dualsport. If you get that 500 you'll probably be happy with it. :cool:
Holy crap; that drive looks horendous..:rolleyes::D

Some poor bastid has to drive on a freeway with cagers rolling on them left and right. Sucks to be them.
My biggest problem is the rake on my handlebars pissing off the buffalo when I go through the park. Suckers.

I'm going beemer next. Just like the look of them. They come shaft drive and chain drive. 5-7k though. No chump change.

Not sure I'd be too concerned about inseam length, etc.

I'm 5' 10.5" with a roughly 31" inseam. My HP2 has a 37" seat height and it's not that big of a deal. Single cheek it when you need to and when you come to a stop if there's a curb just put your foot on it.

Once you get rolling seat height isn't an issue and for those cases where off road you might like the extra travel; it's nice to have. In the odd off camber parking situation where I can't swing a leg over I just fire up the bike and put my left foot on the left peg and mount up as I let out the clutch. Once you get used to the bike the height of the seat will be a minor issue but there's also little chance you'll decide eventually that you wished there were less room between the seat and the pegs.

If you're going to be in traffic it's nicer to be up a little higher as well.

I like my 1991 TW200

poser-albums-some-stuff-picture1296-1991-tw200.jpg

:beer:

That's what I was shopping for when I found the sweet deal on the XT. I like your racks.

I recently put a front rack on mine on mounted a Pelican 1200 on it for my first aid kit. A bonus is it breaks up the wind a bit and makes my windscreen a little more effective at town speeds for less helmet turbulence. :cool:

xtfrontbox.jpg

frontboxsideview.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I would throw up a pic of the trials bike I did, as mentioned earlier. Not that you should get one. Hell, you can't even sit on it.
ty 250.jpg

Not sure I'd be too concerned about inseam length, etc.

I'm 5' 10.5" with a roughly 31" inseam. My HP2 has a 37" seat height and it's not that big of a deal. Single cheek it when you need to and when you come to a stop if there's a curb just put your foot on it.

Once you get rolling seat height isn't an issue and for those cases where off road you might like the extra travel; it's nice to have. In the odd off camber parking situation where I can't swing a leg over I just fire up the bike and put my left foot on the left peg and mount up as I let out the clutch. Once you get used to the bike the height of the seat will be a minor issue but there's also little chance you'll decide eventually that you wished there were less room between the seat and the pegs.

If you're going to be in traffic it's nicer to be up a little higher as well.

Well that's good to read. I'm only around 5'7 but my inseam is 30-31 inches. I used to ride my cbr 600 and I was basically sitting with my feet flat on the ground. I've been looking at a lot of bikes this morning, and there are a ton for sale. It really is a buyers market. I saw a Bmw 650 with 2000 miles on it for $5800. I really hate to double what I'm looking to spend though.... I have a bad habit of starting with a set amount and then finding something a little more and say, "ah that's not so bad" then finding something a little more than the last one and saying it's ok too haha. I think for $2500 I can find a lot of good bikes. I don't care what it looks like as long as it drives. I'm not out to impress anyone, just to get around.

What kind of speeds can you get on a XT225? Can it run 55 mph on the highway? What about that tw200?

Hah! three wheelers! I haven't seen those in years. I remember rolling a few of them when I was younger. Can you get parts for them still? Those two are in great shape.

That pelican case mounted looks useful. I think luggage is going to be a must of some degree. I used to drive my ducati back and forth to the grocery store, but I could only fit so much in my backpack. I remember ringing up item by item as I put it in my bag and taking the stuff that wouldn't fit back to the shelf. The clerk always got a laugh out of that.

If you're considering the larger bikes like Beemers and such, don't forget the Triumph Tigers, Steamers (94-98 iirc) and Girlies (99-06?) can sometimes be had at stellar prices in comparison to how much BMW's go for...

I've had my XT225 up to 78mph indicated. It will do 55mph all day comfortably. It's a six speed and has the widest spread of gear ratios of nearly any bike ever made. The only thing I don't like about it on the highway is that it's light and very susceptible to side winds; it gets blown around pretty easy.

A tail rack and a milk crate will get you to the grocery store and home. Lots of aftermarket racks available for soft and hard bags.

An oil change on the BM 650 is a PIA. I'd avoid that one just because unless you're really enamored with the brand. Fine bike and all but if the mfg doesn't plan for simple and easy oil changes and maintenance I don't want their stuff.

If you're not out to have the pretty bike save your money by buying something else.

An oil change on the BM 650 is a PIA. I'd avoid that one just because unless you're really enamored with the brand. Fine bike and all but if the mfg doesn't plan for simple and easy oil changes and maintenance I don't want their stuff.

If you're not out to have the pretty bike save your money by buying something else.

Maybe that why BMW gives you 5k between oil changes.:hmm: I own a BMW Dakar and its a love hate relationship. Nothing is easy to fix, over engineered for sure. The bike is good at everything but not exceptional at anything. With that said I have done back to back 500 mile day adventure rides and was ready for more. I have own or ridden most of the bikes in this thread and the BMW is what I find myself on when I hit the road. It get 50+mpg, turns like a sport bike, and I can sit on it all day long...but I still hate it. :flipoff2:

Dont overlook F650 if you can get it in your price range. Perfect for your height and it will not disappoint you. But do your research there are a few potential problem you want to watch for.

The milk crate is KEY. I use one on the tote goat and the 250.

I've moved on to a bucket on the dd though; makes a better backrest. It's nice to be able to lay back and eat some road up. Gets some good looks from folks too (particularly when I've got the fly rod on back).
DSCF2021.jpg

So I'm searching craigslist, ebay, etc. for the following now:

xt225
xl500
tw200
KLR 650
bmw 650

even some of the old cb750 hondas, with a more aggressive tires I could manage dirt roads.
older tigers too.

Anything else worthy of including in the searches?

How do KLR's hold up with high mileage? anything I should look for. I saw a few with 25,000 miles up. Do these still have life in them?

when I did my research about current bikes around 650cc I developed the following impression:

KLR650 more street oriented
DR650 great at both street and dirt (not motocross whoopdedoos obviously, more like dirt roads and trails)
XR650 more dirt oriented

XR very tall
DR can be lowered easily (KLR too maybe?)

all are good bikes, all heavy for serious dirt work.

The DR has a bit of cult following, very sturdy and reliable if old school somewhat.

got a DR, very happy.

Found a TW200 for $2500, was used on the back of an RV camper. Only has 1800 miles, and is a 2009. I'm going to try to schedule for this one to be looked at. I checked compareable bikes and they are way more in $$$. I know a 200 cc is going to be slower on the road, but just to get around I will be fine a 55 mph.

Found a TW200 for $2500, was used on the back of an RV camper. Only has 1800 miles, and is a 2009. I'm going to try to schedule for this one to be looked at. I checked compareable bikes and they are way more in $$$. I know a 200 cc is going to be slower on the road, but just to get around I will be fine a 55 mph.

That's a good deal, get it. :cool:

Make sure to take it on some impossible looking trails, like steep sandy uphills. It will just plain go right up. An amazing bike in low traction conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom