White smoke from exhaust during prolonged downhill engine braking on HDJ81 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It all points to something wildly altering the the fuel/air mixture causing the engine to smoke and even backfire. The only thing that makes sense is the vacuum thats created due to engine braking, that vacuum is sucking either extra air, fuel, or oil into the combustion, until there is enough positive pressure to bring everything back to equilibrium the engine does weird stuff. On that theory, it somehow has to make it into the top of the cylinder since thats where the combustion takes place, at least on DI engines like the 1HDT, therefore it makes the most sense that it has to come from the crank case, which is full of oil. My theory is that oil is somehow being introduced, which explains the white smoke and the backfire if its really bad.

As I've said early, I've had the same symptoms, without the backfire, and after a head job, where I replaced the valve seals and head gasket, and changed nothing else with the engine, it no longer does it. Doubt the head gasket had any affect, so what I concluded were the valve seals allowing something to enter the combustion chamber when under vacuum. Are you positive the valve seal were replaced with the head job, or replaced correctly? I know it sucks to have to question that sort of thing, but stranger things have happened.

It all points to something wildly altering the the fuel/air mixture causing the engine to smoke and even backfire. The only thing that makes sense is the vacuum thats created due to engine braking, that vacuum is sucking either extra air, fuel, or oil into the combustion, until there is enough positive pressure to bring everything back to equilibrium the engine does weird stuff. On that theory, it somehow has to make it into the top of the cylinder since thats where the combustion takes place, at least on DI engines like the 1HDT, therefore it makes the most sense that it has to come from the crank case, which is full of oil. My theory is that oil is somehow being introduced, which explains the white smoke and the backfire if its really bad.

As I've said early, I've had the same symptoms, without the backfire, and after a head job, where I replaced the valve seals and head gasket, and changed nothing else with the engine, it no longer does it. Doubt the head gasket had any affect, so what I concluded were the valve seals allowing something to enter the combustion chamber when under vacuum. Are you positive the valve seal were replaced with the head job, or replaced correctly? I know it sucks to have to question that sort of thing, but stranger things have happened.
No, you are absolutely correct, I did spend a few hundred bucks having the head pressure tested and valve clearance what not but overall I'm unsure of the depth that was gone to on the head but was told I did not need new valves or seals. However, this could still be an issue. I have more confidence in my injection system though.

I plan to remove the head soon to stud and replace the head gasket as I believe I need a notch 1 and not notch 5 like was provided during the rebuild. I will also rebuild and port the head during this time including valve seals and new valves. My injection will also be getting worked on again so we will see if it solves the issue for me in time.

I'd bet thats it then, not sure how one can look at seals and determine if they are good or not, once you're in there why not replace a $10 part...

I used MJM engines in escondido to do mine, no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom