Whipsaw 05 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got out of the shower...damn that felt good. I'd still be in there but I dont have my continuous flow wall mounted unit hooked up yet dammit.

So..my here's my quicky trip report;

We left Chilliwack around 10 0r 11 am...quite groggy and ill from the Crue concert the previous night. A quick pitstop in Hope to pick up a Backroads mapbook for the Okanagon region...and off we headed towards Princeton via Manning park.
I soon realized that it was a longer trip to Princeton than what I had remembered. Its been 5 years since I last travelled the whipsaw..the road seemed shorter then.
Anyhoo, we soon arrived in Princeton, topped up the Tacoma and had a short rest break for the little ones (Tia and Brianna).
We then made our way to Coalmont (again, the road seemed longer than the last time) and as soon as we turned into that thriving metropolis, there was the Senger family parked on the road, as it turns out waiting for Shane.
We had a briff chitchat, and were told to 'keep right, keep right, keep right, left at 13km'...why we turned left at 12k i dont know...so in short we would have been there an hour sooner.
Finally I started recognizing things, the switch back up the hill and all the 'shortcuts'. Into lowrange, tap my lovely new friend the RR diff lock button, and up up and away.
We pull into Lodestone, I think its about 5 or so and find Craig and Traci patiently awaiting peoples arrivals. The campsites fill up in short order and we spend a lovely (but chilly) nite around Phils campfire. Damn good tequila by the way Phil.
We awake early, as our usual late sleeping daughter decided 7 am was late enough for her and wanted us up as well. But I'm looking forward to it..as its a chance to test out the new Coleman coffee maker...great investment!
Later in the afternoon we saddle up our rigs and head to Wells Lake to check on the rest of crew. We run into the convoy right around the big mud pits and we all take in the action aa the local red necks thrill the crowd with the full size machinery. Big truck, Big tires, Big noise.
Its decided to then just head back to Lodestone, and except for one so-so tough spot (got the wife to shoot some video of it) its a quiet trip back to camp.
Now Lodestone is really full with Cruiser folk at the lower part and a large redneck crew up top...much noise ensues.
We awake Monday morning (much later..almost 9 this time..woohoo!) to an overcast sky and a misty/drizzle kind of rain. Coffee and breakfast is made, the truck is packed, goodbyes and 'see you at Cruiser days' are made, and we leave camp at 11 am sharp.
Now, i forgot to mention that the previous afternoon we had made a foray up to the vewpoint and gazed in awe at 'supernatural BC'. As we were up there yakkin away, I brought out my spanking new Backroads mapbook and discussed my planned route home with Phil and Greg. We were going to go from Tulameen, take the Lawless FSR to the Coquihalla Lakes rest area, the the bypass and home. Greg was looking at one rock face away in the distance and figured that was the Coke. And after now coming that way, I shall have to concur.
So...our route is planned and we head into Tulameen. My first impression is ughhh...because right away we drive in, see all the garbage strewn across the river banks from the big party over the weekend. But we gas up (drove by the 'gas station' twice cuz we didnt spot it its so small), fill up on cheese burgers, ask there the heck this FSR is and off we go. Just like the map says, at 16km veer right, another 16km stay straight, and after a 40km trip (took about an hour, decent gravel road) we arrive at the rest stop..and have a little rest.
Now its off to the bypass towards Falls lake. And now the Carnage ensues! :doh:

At the parking area at Falls lake, I wanted to take the gasline road that I had followed partially on a previous trip and was now informed it just lead back down onto the Coke. My previous trip up I had no problems, there is just one section right in view of the parking lot on the hill that has some large loose rock.
This go around, I admit it was a little wetter this time, I had traction problems and ended up tearing off my drivers front mud flap and after hearing some funny noises, discovered the drivers rear mud flap was lodged in the tire.
Anyways, a little more go go joice and up we go. There some really nice views from up there, and except for some cross ditching its 2wd back down to the coke after a few k.
So after all that excitement, we were back home at 4pm, 5 hours after leaving lodestone.
Aside from the stops and the detours I took, I think that route is shorter return trip than goin back thru to Princeton/Hope.
My pic allowance is maxed so I'll see if one of you silverstar guys are up for it later.

See you at Cruiser days...or the meeting just before it at least. :bounce2:

Here ya go Deny, a group shot, we missed you out there.
By the way, there's nothing like a turbo 60, awsome wheeler!

O.K. I figured it out :bounce:
Copy of Whipsaw 2005 056.jpg

REDREEFER said:
Here ya go Deny, a group shot, we missed you out there.
By the way, there's nothing like a turbo 60, awsome wheeler!

awww..I left to early I guess..coulda had the taco in that shot...sniff :crybaby:

Nice, Rob,
Looks like quite the wagon show! What did you drive up there, the 13BT 60?

Jeff, if you email me the pics, I can post them for you, now that I got the magical silver star! PM me if needed.
Cheers

Enigma said:
get back to work Deny! (insert the sound of the whip crackin!)

Notice it is lunch break now! sucka!

Enigma said:
awww..I left to early I guess..coulda had the taco in that shot...sniff :crybaby:

Me too :doh:

Stuck...again!

Many thanks to the Coastal Cruiser group for having Jake and I along this year. We both had a fantastic time. Jakes' talking of nothing else since we got home and hardly complained about unloading all the gear and washing the truck. (not quite the way it went...6 year olds have limited attension spans) A few dents, some new friends, a bunch of laughs and ,memories for a lifetime. Thanks guys!

Layne and Jake

Hmmm picture of Jake and I stuck in the mud was too large.....but trust me...we were definately stck!

Layne

westrock60 said:
Many thanks to the Coastal Cruiser group for having Jake and I along this year. We both had a fantastic time. Jakes' talking of nothing else since we got home and hardly complained about unloading all the gear and washing the truck. (not quite the way it went...6 year olds have limited attension spans) A few dents, some new friends, a bunch of laughs and ,memories for a lifetime. Thanks guys!

Layne and Jake

Cool. I am so glad we went even if just for the day trip. I really really really want to do the Whipsaw from front to back...

Ahhhh...one day.

gb

Good to see some old faces and meet some new faces...Glad my HJ61 had a small taste of Lodestone and it's trails.... Looking forward to another wheeling trip, but next time in DAS POO VAGON... Mine doesn't like the scratches, just yet :eek:

See ya all at Cruiser Daze.

Deny said:
Nice, Rob,
Looks like quite the wagon show! What did you drive up there, the 13BT 60?
You betchya Deny, i was indeed driving the now dubed FJ-BJ-60 and a half, what a great wheeling experiance, torbocharging is the way to go!