Whinning Belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 96 TLC w/ only 29K miles on it. I'm sure that I still have the original belts on it. They look to be in pretty good shape, however they are whining alot until she warms up. Is there something I can do to remedy this w/o purchasing new belts? WD40????

Check the belt tension. The OEM belts were not toothed, and are much quieter than aftermarket.

NO WD40!!!

With only 29K on the truck, I doubt you have any pulley issues, so tension is my first guess. Check the belts closely; however, as age can have an effect on belts, too; not just mileage.

-H-

speaking of belts, whats a good price on the set of three?
see spector has a set for $75 Im afraid to ask my local dealer, theyve been high on everything else so far.
are napa belts really much worse?

I believe that's about what the dealer is going to ask for them. Right now, the PO of mine put napa belts on (I have P/N if you need them.) and I'll stick with them for a while. Yes, since they are toothed, they do make more noise.

Here this summer I'll go with OEM and keep the napa belts as trail spares.

-H-

Hi Bryan and welcome to the 80s section!

>> I have a 96 TLC w/ only 29K miles on it. <<

Wow, that's virtually a new truck! Congrats on finding a gem with that low of mileage.

Even though the belts only have 29k, they are 7 years old. Don't put WD40 on them. There are belt dressings at the parts stores but I have no experience and no opinion one way or the other.

However (everyone knew this was coming!) I do have an opinion on the belts. :G If you suspect they need replacing then do it NOW, not after one breaks, takes out the auto transmission line, and strands you on the side of the road while your truck gets flat-bedded back to town. Use only Toyota OEM belts unless you enjoy that whine you're hearing now.

Use the old ones as spares; they'll be much easier to install in an emergency than new ones.

-B-

Just another hint to make trail repairs much easier. Replace the belts sometime when you have some extra time to spare. The first time can be a real bear until you figure out all of the pulleys and bolts that need to be loosened to get the belts off and on again. This is not something that would be fun to do for the first time on the side of the road or in the mud.

As B said, if you are replacing the belts, go ahead and use the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Toyota belts. They're more expensive, but quieter and quality is assured.

-H-

I use belt dressing regularly, especially on my old Audi with a damaged belt adjuster. It will stop the squeel for a while, but I'd replace belts that old.

I just replaced the NAPA toothed belts :slap: that were on my FZJ80, with OEM belts. It is MUCH quieter now. The OEM belts were cheap:

P/N 90916-02353-83 includes (2) belts for the fan $12.99
P/N 99332-10910-83 smaller belt for AC/alternator? $10.42

Grand total $23.41, I don't get no discounts either :(

thanks for tha part numbers.
I am sitting on hold with my dealer waiting to order the parts right now. will try to put them in on monday or tuesday.
Dave :beer:

uh Dave,isnt your '92 a 3FE? if so those p/n's Ben(firetruck41)listed wont work(unless 3FE and 1FZ-FE are the same configuration),cause according to his sig he has a '93 FZJ80

just surfin on a boring wet saturday afternoon,hope you noticed the different engines before you ordered!!!

doug

Yeah the pig is a 92 but according to the parts guy at my local stealer they are the same.
Dave :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom