Which winch witch, should I winch with? (winch extension rope or straps?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
General question, I'm looking to get some winch extension device to help with double pulls and sling shots. What is the general consensus between using strap winch extensions versus a rope winch extension? Has anyone used both? What are the pros and cons of each?

I read somewhere that people find ropes easier to deploy and store, but are my susceptible to damage. There is a little part of me though that says I can do more with a rope, and if things really turn to custard I can always join ropes on the trail with boy scout skills. Can't tie straps together.

I'm leaning toward rope, but happy to hear other people's opinions.

probably a good idea to have a bit of both.
you can link straps or rope extensions with soft shackles etc.
i think syn line and kinetics have almost obsoleted your typical tug strap.
they are nice as an anchor or safety line for winching.

probably a good idea to have a bit of both.
you can link straps or rope extensions with soft shackles etc.
i think syn line and kinetics have almost obsoleted your typical tug strap.
they are nice as an anchor or safety line for winching.
I was thinking in a worst case scenario if I snap an extension rope, I can do some funky knots that are designed for whiching and create even tensions under load. Obviously if a winch line snaps I'm a bit screwed.
But if I snap a strap, no matter what knot you tie, its always going to do bad things to strap under load.

I'm also considering how I could get a spare winch line cable, and then use that as an extension rope. I'll have a thimble at one end, but other end will just be clean cut.
(I'm assuming... I've never actually looked at winch end of a rope)

Depends on type of rope or strap. For winching you do not want to use a strap or rope designed for kinetic force. My extension is winch rope that I purchased with loops on both ends. I also have kinetic force rope if a tug is needed. Check out Gear America, they have a great information on recovery gear.

Depends on type of rope or strap. For winching you do not want to use a strap or rope designed for kinetic force. My extension is winch rope that I purchased with loops on both ends. I also have kinetic force rope if a tug is needed. Check out Gear America, they have a great information on recovery gear.
I hear your point and I'm across that recovery straps/ropes are different to extension straps/ropes. I was interested in if a strap extension is better or worse than a rope extension? Straps seem to be more popular, and cheaper, than rope. But there is a part of my brain that says rope is better because I can pass that through a snatch block.

But is that difference really worth the price difference?

I hear your point and I'm across that recovery straps/ropes are different to extension straps/ropes. I was interested in if a strap extension is better or worse than a rope extension? Straps seem to be more popular, and cheaper, than rope. But there is a part of my brain that says rope is better because I can pass that through a snatch block.

But is that difference really worth the price difference?
I agree, I do prefer the rope because it can be used in a snatch block. I don't know if one is better then other for winching.

General question, I'm looking to get some winch extension device to help with double pulls and sling shots. What is the general consensus between using strap winch extensions versus a rope winch extension? Has anyone used both? What are the pros and cons of each?

I read somewhere that people find ropes easier to deploy and store, but are my susceptible to damage. There is a little part of me though that says I can do more with a rope, and if things really turn to custard I can always join ropes on the trail with boy scout skills. Can't tie straps together.

I'm leaning toward rope, but happy to hear other people's opinions.
Rope extension for sure not straps.
Tree trunk protector strap for tree or other objects that are static only…you don’t want dynamic in winching, very dangerous

A good source is Zips.com sells certified recovery gear for the towing industry. Sell rope and straps designed for winching. The working load and breaking loads are listed for each product. Most of the rope and straps are 5:1 safety factor. So a rated 12,000 lb working load has a 60,000 lb rated breaking load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom