Which side to put an awning? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Passenger side because it sits closer to the truck than my snorkel does so if I clear the snorkel on a low tree I know the awning will make it too. I have hit a tree with the snorkel. This picture is the only one I could find of an almost straight on shot. Tent on top was not a factor in my decision because it isnt mine and was only on for this years rubithon.
IMG_4317.JPG

Passenger side because it sits closer to the truck than my snorkel does so if I clear the snorkel on a low tree I know the awning will make it too. I have hit a tree with the snorkel. This picture is the only one I could find of an almost straight on shot. Tent on top was not a factor in my decision because it isnt mine and was only on for this years rubithon.....
Rig up some Limb risers:
IMG_1417.JPG

Driver's side here. Otherwise, my ARB 8' would run into my snorkel!

Been thinking about it but my rack is so tight to the truck and low my snorkel would still get hit
The main function of limb risers is to fend off direct hits of limbs & brush to the windshield area of a rig. They do not prevent contact, but absorb and route impacts of these so as to minimize the damaging effects. On my '94 the motivation for me was the installation of the awning. The nose or front end of the awning, without the riser, is just begging to catch on something. It will still get hit, but the limbs and or brush have already been coaxed to move upward by the riser and not catch on the exposed front end of my awning. I think, in your case, both your snorkel & awning would benefit. IMHO it's the best practical thing to get the job done to protect our equipment.

The main function of limb risers is to fend off direct hits of limbs & brush to the windshield area of a rig. They do not prevent contact, but absorb and route impacts of these so as to minimize the damaging effects. On my '94 the motivation for me was the installation of the awning. The nose or front end of the awning, without the riser, is just begging to catch on something. It will still get hit, but the limbs and or brush have already been coaxed to move upward by the riser and not catch on the exposed front end of my awning. I think, in your case, both your snorkel & awning would benefit. IMHO it's the best practical thing to get the job done to protect our equipment.
I get what you are saying but the branch that broke my snorkel wasnt even a branch... it was like a 3" nub sticking off a tree leaning over the trail and i missed the tree but didnt see the nub :bang: Limb risers would have done nothing for me there and they still get hit no matter what and make working on the engine from the side that much harder. If I could rig up a quick disconnect then I might think about them

I get what you are saying but the branch that broke my snorkel wasnt even a branch... it was like a 3" nub sticking off a tree leaning over the trail and i missed the tree but didnt see the nub :bang: Limb risers would have done nothing for me there and they still get hit no matter what and make working on the engine from the side that much harder. If I could rig up a quick disconnect then I might think about them

You could use a turnbuckle at the top side. Easy to release tension and disconnect it.

You could use a turnbuckle at the top side. Easy to release tension and disconnect it.
IMHO, it would be stupid not to have turnbuckles in the design. The cables will stretch with use. My home made design has a clip at the front end and a j-hook, which is actually part of the turnbuckle, at the top end. I can install or remove both side in about a minute, a piece. I store them in the rig so they can be quickly installed if needed. They clip into eyebolts that I installed - one end in the ARB & the other as high on your roof rack as possible, so you get the best protection possible for your setup. There's even youtube videos that will help you make your own. All the hardware is available at Ace, True Value or any hardware store & you can customize the ends to match your needs. This is not rocket science...lol

I've never owned an awning nor paid close attention to how they are typically mounted, but it seems to me that it might be useful to devise some sort of quick-release solution so you could switch sides as necessary to compensate for limitations on how the vehicle may need to be oriented in particular camping spots (tight spaces, uneven terrain, slopes, desired view, etc.).

If you find an easy quick release, post it up! Since the awning is long and relatively heavy it needs to be on very securely!

I put mine on the driver side too and then when I park, always think about where the sun will be in the late afternoon. Plus, the fridge with the cold drinks is just inside driver side rear door.

I made some quick release mounts a little while ago. Super easy to use. The awning is on and off in seconds.

downloadfile.jpg
downloadfile-1.jpg
downloadfile-2.jpg

I have mine on the passenger side because my spare wheel with small spotties attached swings on that side do I can light up my campsite easily. And I find it easier to get changed in the passenger seat when camping so I can jump out of my swag and straight into the car to get change.

I use turnbuckles where my lines attach to the front end. The end on the rack can also be unhooked, but all the tension adjustments are done at the front corner of the grill. Limb risers DO save your snorkel, awning, axe, lights, and etc. I took a wrong turn on a trail a couple weeks ago, without the risers I would be replacing my windshield and snorkel, as well as my awning this week!

G'Day Fella's,

From what I understand Sleak, it is best to mount the awning, on the Curb or Passenger side of the vehicle.
That way, you can pull off to the side of the road/track, and hopefully you will have less chance of others, trying to drive thru your shady spot while your sitting there, under it.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

I got a DS one for mine, 100 percent because my spare tire swingout opens to the PS only. I got a 270 degree awning. If I had no swingout or two short ones I guess I probably would have flipped a coin ? Or something like that to decide.

So, the consensus is no consensus. There's good reasons for either side. The one Aussie says passenger, but I've seen lots of Aussie videos where they have their awnings on both sides, mostly driver (right).
I've decided on driver's side (left), because I'll be doing these trips by myself for the most part. I'm contemplating the Front Runner awning arm so I can either have it on the side or at the back. I might get a Blue Ridge hammock thing.
Thanks for everyone's input.

I think it all depends on how you plan to setup your rig, and also which awning you choose. The kind that just deploy sideways can be swapped if you decide you need it on the other side, but the 270 batwing style usually are for one side or the other. For example mine, if I choose to put it on the other side, it will provide shade on the right side of the truck and over my hood. The custom brackets are also distinct for each side.

I would say the right hand side (saying drivers/ passengers side is kinda goofy when so many on here drive on a different side).

My rationale is this:

First, not as important for me, here in North America we drive on the right hand side of the road, therefore using it while pulled over on the road works.

Second, specific to us on this side of the pond, every camping spot in North America will be made to pull through or back into, with consideration being made that EVERY rv here has the door on the right side. Then, you can use regular campsites when desired while accessing the back of your vehicle in relative privacy, and having your awning open into the campsite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom