Which rotors do I need? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have what I thought was an 82 front disk axle from a 40. I'm redoing it with knuckles from a 60, high steer from 4x4labs, ARB, Longfield inner and outers. I went to NAPA and got rotors pn#4885799 for like $23 a piece. The bolt holes that have the 6 bolts that attach the rotor to the backside of the hub assembly are too large. So I go back to NAPA, the parts guy says that the axle must be older and I need pn#4885678 for $92 a piece. plus freight because they are not in distribution.

More info. The knuckle bolt pattern for the steering arms was the smaller pattern. This probably means it was not a 1982 axle.

Anyone have any advice? I'm thinking of getting the cheaper rotors and drilling/tapping the hub assemblies for larger bolts. They appear to be identical except for the hole diameter.

Thanks in advance, Luke

Well- I talked to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters (www.cruiseroutfitters.com) and he suggested that rather than do some fancy machining- i could just get the later hub assemblies and use the later model rotors to save a bunch of money.

Big props to Kurt for the info and the parts at reasonable prices.

just wait before you do any drilling

Is this the rotor in question??
http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/brakdisrot75.html
If so, the 6 big holes are the wheel studs holes and not bolt holes.
I wouldn't drill the holes bigger in the hubs.
Instead use the 2 smaller holes and bolt the rotors to the hubs with
the proper 14mm head bolts. Then you can drill the other 4 holes in the rotors and bolt them like the way they should be. Also you can get some inserts and you will be able to bolt to the hubs. Iwill try to post a pic of one of these inserts. You can get them from anyone who strips old starter and alts for the coper. When I had that same problem 2 weeks ago I just went with an 84 TOYOTA PICKUP wheel hubs instead, they will work perfect with these rotors and 15" tires and The older fj40 axles.
These are the rotors that you need
http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/BrakeRotors&DrumsReplacement.htm

Last edited:
Well, now I'm confused. The 6 holes in the newer rotors would be about the size to go over the wheel studs. The older rotor had smaller (10 mm?) holes. BUT the offset seemed to be identical. If the offset is the same, then the caliper bracket would have to be different.

OR!!! do the newer rotors mount with the studs pressed through the rotors into the hub assembly?:confused:

Yes the studs are longer and the go through the rotors then the wheel hubs. Here is a pic of that insert I am going to get one and use it .My problem is that Ilive an a part Canada and I can't even get the proper rotors . Idon't know if the pic is going to work.
2007_0409_180553.jpg

Here is the pic.
The reason I am going with these inserts is that I can get them for free and am having problem with my 16" rims subbing a little on the calipers.
insert.jpg

Do you have your 4x4Labs steering arms yet?

If you orderd them for the 60 series stuff, they are not going to fit your current small pattern, pre 1979 knuckles...

It looks like we're trying to say the same thing- just different ways.

I'm getting hub housings from Kurt that are from an FJ60 (same as mini truck)- I think you're saying that I could bolt the later rotor on with the two small holes and drill out the hub for later model studs. Pretty much the same idea. My hubs are in bad shape- so my preference was to get new/used ones. I also needed some other stuff from Kurt- so its about 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other.

Do you have your 4x4Labs steering arms yet?

If you orderd them for the 60 series stuff, they are not going to fit your current small pattern, pre 1979 knuckles...

Yeah- they were ordered for the 60 knuckles. one of the few things I ordered correctly on the first try.:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom