Which BFG ATKO's??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the market for new meats and while searching on Discount tires website I got a little confused. There are two different BFG ATKO's??? The only difference I see is the speed rating. One is a R the other is a QR. The R is $23 cheaper than the QR. So which of the two do most people get?

Here is the link with both listed...

R's rate to 106mph where the Q is 99mph...I am guesing QR is somewhere between?

Neither of which speeds I will ever likely see in the 80...that is what the other toys are for.

Not sure about Q and R ratings.
But I do know when I got mine I had the option between:
Load Range D (8ply) and
Load Range E (10ply) .

The E's were an extra $20 each. I went for the E's.

Cheers,
Nick

I see it now in there "codes" one is cheaper one is XXXXXX/D1 the other is XXXXXX/E1.

Thanks!

Is one the moab edition? those are are much softer rubber compound for rocks and wear 30% faster on road when compared to the regular

It says nothing about a Moab edition on either of them. Would that be the 8 ply or 10 ply?

I just purchased a set of these from Discount over the weekend and the manager told me that BFG is making them out of a different compound on the newer more expensive version. I chose the older version as the price difference was significantly less. $135 vs. $170 / tire.

Did he mention wether the "new compound" would be a longer lasting or if it were a softer more grip thus less life?

$135 is a heck of a deal.

Sorry about the delay in replying. The manager never said which would wear better, but the ones I have look exactly like my old set and handle the exact same. We've all been happy with the tried and true "old" compound so I had no hesistations going with them.

I just called my local Discount Tire store and was informed that the BFG was changed about 1 1/2 years ago to that new compound. They also told me that the price only changed about $5. Here I was thinking I could go get some new 285's cheap.

The info that I got when I tried to order a set of 315s about 3 months ago was that BFG was making changes to correct wear and balance problems. They were sold out of the old ones and since the new ones wouldn't be available for 6-8 weeks, I bought the Nitto Terra-Grapplers instead.

*hijack on*
Are the BFG A/T KOs good in the snow? The new 80 will need tires at some point in the next year, and I want to buy something that will work on snowy roads.
*hijack off*

92Cruiser said:
I just called my local Discount Tire store and was informed that the BFG was changed about 1 1/2 years ago to that new compound. They also told me that the price only changed about $5. Here I was thinking I could go get some new 285's cheap.

On their website the difference was $23 a tire...

psfpilot said:
*hijack on*
Are the BFG A/T KOs good in the snow? The new 80 will need tires at some point in the next year, and I want to buy something that will work on snowy roads.
*hijack off*

They have the "snowflake on the mountain" and do pretty well for an AT tire. Obviously a dedicated snow would do better, but I run the 265/75 KO in the winter 5 months and 285/75 in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom