Which battery do you trust the most? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When acquiring my GX470 we noted on the service records almost yearly battery replacement. To date, we have installed 2 new ones, and we've had our around 4 years. Looking at Interstate or Optima Yellow Top batteries to maybe give us a bit more longevity. Has anyone had similar issues? What brands have given the best performance?

*edit: Pretty sure the battery we have now is whatever AAA tossed in there the last time it died.

duplicate

Last edited:
Bought my 2003 GX470 in March 2007.

Lexus battery was in bad shape, but still was under warranty. I went to Lexus dealer and they changed it for $100 under partial warranty. This was in March 2017.

December 2017 I changed the alternator as preventive maintenance with a reman Denso alternator same size as stock 130 amps.

December 2021 (4.5 years later) changed the battery with a Costco battery made by insterstate.

I use bluetti power station to run and charge all my gadgets. I only use car battery to charge powe station when driving and use solar panels to change when parked.

So, check your alternator to make sure it’s good.

We'll be looking at Denso as well, just because... obvious reasons as you also stated. Interesting about the bluetti - I'll have to do some research on that and ty!
Interstate seems like the tried and true, just wondering why Optima is so much more expensive - couldn't possibly be that much better, could it? :p

I used to run conventional lead-acid batteries, and usually Ever Starts from Wal-Mart due to good warranty service. The last one I bought only lasted a year or so and developed a weird problem where it would not start when it was below 40F out, but test just fine when it was warmer. Wal-Mart refused to warranty it.

I since replaced it with a Odyssey AGM. We also have one in our camper and it has been great (for camper use, it runs the fan on the fridge when the camper is parked, hooked up to my GX). They are expensive at $400 or so, but can be worth it if you use your GX in remote places. I take mine in the middle of nowhere, often solo, and wanted some of the extra capacity of a AGM and the ability for it to be discharged more but still capable of starting the vehicle.

Optimas don't quite have the reputation they used to - I thought about getting one but the reviews are mixed. An Odyssey AGM is only $50 or so more than an equivalent Optima.

Eighty-four! Wow. We went with interstate but now I'm reconsidering. 😂 We are hoping there hasn't been some undiagnosed parasitic draw on the power all these years but who knows. We will see how long this one goes for.

My GX had a parasitic draw coming from the rear dome light. It took several hours of diagnostics for me to figure it out. When the lamp was set on "Door" it was always drawing current, regardless of if the lamp was actually on or not. This killed a battery in 2021 and just a year later in 2022.

You can find the parasitic draw using a multimeter that measures current (at least 10A of current - I had to upgrade to a $80 multimeter), using the method where the negative battery cable is disconnected and the multimeter leads are connected between the battery post and cable (lots of info on this process online). With the GX fully shut down (all doors shut and locked), it should draw <50 milliamps of current. Mine was drawing around 3X that (and the dome light was only working half-time anyway). You then go through the tedious process of pulling fuses until the current drops below the 50 mA level. This was challenging on my GX as I started this process with the dome light set to off (thereby showing a small draw), and didn't find the draw until I happened to turn the switch to "door". I also found that my OBDII adapter was a constant (albeit small) power draw, and made a new extension cable where it's only powered when the ignition is on.

Given the history of constant battery replacements, it would be worthwhile to do the parasitic draw test.

My GX had a parasitic draw coming from the rear dome light. It took several hours of diagnostics for me to figure it out. When the lamp was set on "Door" it was always drawing current, regardless of if the lamp was actually on or not. This killed a battery in 2021 and just a year later in 2022.

You can find the parasitic draw using a multimeter that measures current (at least 10A of current - I had to upgrade to a $80 multimeter), using the method where the negative battery cable is disconnected and the multimeter leads are connected between the battery post and cable (lots of info on this process online). With the GX fully shut down (all doors shut and locked), it should draw <50 milliamps of current. Mine was drawing around 3X that (and the dome light was only working half-time anyway). You then go through the tedious process of pulling fuses until the current drops below the 50 mA level. This was challenging on my GX as I started this process with the dome light set to off (thereby showing a small draw), and didn't find the draw until I happened to turn the switch to "door". I also found that my OBDII adapter was a constant (albeit small) power draw, and made a new extension cable where it's only powered when the ignition is on.

Given the history of constant battery replacements, it would be worthwhile to do the parasitic draw test.
Thank you friend!

I buy Toyota batteries. Good value and 84 month warranty.
Costco used to have 48 month free replacement and 84 month prorated. They lowered it to 36 months free replacement and maybe 72 months prorated.

So, the Toyota batteries are probably not 84 month replacement but some combination of the two.

We went with Interstate but feel like the parasitic draw is likely our ultimate issue. Yesterday we replaced the alternator but will break out the fluke meter in the coming weeks and see what we can uncover. Thanks everyone for your replies!

I replace mine every 2 years , regardless of anything , do not want to take a chance getting stranded somewhere .
Why chance it

It's pretty easy to check battery health with a $30 tester from Amazon. I've had normal flooded lead acid batteries last up to 6 years, AGMs are supposedly good for 7. Take care of the battery and test it often and it should last a long time.

Batteries Plus will test your battery for free. I have them check the three batteries on my fishing boat each year. I also buy my batteries from them since they have in their computer system when you bought the battery, even if it was hundreds of miles away at another branch.

Thje battery I trust is the one I just installed , will change it every 2 years , regardless

I was a member of spyderchat.com. Many members had unusually long battery life. I thought it odd but it is good to hear others with the same experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom